Cats

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Yeah once they figure out they can leap from kitchen counter to the exposed top of a refrigerator, that becomes a nap zone for some cats whose nominal "owners" may eventually despair of trying to keep cereal boxes up there.

This is why I like having lazy cats. They never get on top of anything they're not supposed to. It's too much effort for them.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My cat could jump from the grass to my bedroom window, about 7 feet vertical. Some cats can jump better than others – if they have loose folds of skin between their knees and their belly, they tend to be really good jumpers.

If you have a problem with a cat jumping up there where you want them to not jump up there, put unsecured things on the edge of there. Once they get the idea that arriving up there is a dicey proposition that may immediately result in them not being able to stay up there, the jumping up there will happen much less.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My cat could jump from the grass to my bedroom window, about 7 feet vertical. Some cats can jump better than others – if they have loose folds of skin between their knees and their belly, they tend to be really good jumpers.

If you have a problem with a cat jumping up there where you want them to not jump up there, put unsecured things on the edge of there. Once they get the idea that arriving up there is a dicey proposition that may immediately result in them not being able to stay up there, the jumping up there will happen much less.
In a previous home, we had a back staircase with a landing and a window about 5’ above the floor. Our lazy cat used to jump up to that , but cheated using her rear claws to dig into the drywall, partially because the windows sill was not that wide and really not that comfortable to lay on bythe looks of it.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Speaking of cute cat pics, these two snaps caught my attention (and I'm more of a dog person 😉 ).

templeofleaves_1640547299_V2.jpg

urbanoutfittershome_1641049412_V2.jpg

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
One of my little projects for today was replacing the "lever" handle on my daughter's bedroom door with a regular knob.

Because the boys figured out that they could reach up and pull down and get into her room. That in itself isn't bad, but the ragdoll eats the Royal Canin Ragdoll food and the boys get diet food. Let them in there for a minute and her bowl is cleaned out.

I suspect they will be aggravated when they try to open the door next time. :ROFLMAO:

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
One of my little projects for today was replacing the "lever" handle on my daughter's bedroom door with a regular knob.

Because the boys figured out that they could reach up and pull down and get into her room. That in itself isn't bad, but the ragdoll eats the Royal Canin Ragdoll food and the boys get diet food. Let them in there for a minute and her bowl is cleaned out.

I suspect they will be aggravated when they try to open the door next time. :ROFLMAO:

The ‘boys’ have placed you on The Cat‘s Owners Watch List! A cat swat team should be descending on your location soon, lol!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Let them in there for a minute and her bowl is cleaned out.

That iOS arcade app KItty Collector+ that I mentioned somewhere else has a cast of cat characters and eventually you sort out their personalities. There's one kitty called Tubbs. When the cats leave a round of gifts for you --each representing some number of "goldfish", which are the currency of the game, given you for specific goodies you've set out in the playing venue-- I noticed that Tubbs always leaves inordinately high numbers of goldfish, like 37 (average is more like 2 or 7) and he only leaves them for whatever I've last put in the food bowl. So clearly whenever he shows up the bowl is emptied and the other kitties must just hang out and amuse themselves with soccer balls or blankets or whatever until I show up to provide another round of food and have to hope Tubbs doesn't show up. I never catch him at it! Game is totally silly but it's cute and sometimes hilarious. I can stand playing it just about long enough for the kettle to boil for a cuppa tea...

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I am surprised no one has provided a link to this hilarious story of the couple who bought themselves a nice new Vitamix Blender and when it arrived, set the large box down on the floor "momentarily," and their three cats immediately took possession of it. They still haven't been able to get the blender out of the box because the three cats fiercely guard it, with one always on top of the box at all times....

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has provided a link to this hilarious story of the couple who bought themselves a nice new Vitamix Blender and when it arrived, set the large box down on the floor "momentarily," and their three cats immediately took possession of it. They still haven't been able to get the blender out of the box because the three cats fiercely guard it, with one always on top of the box at all times....

I could see our boys doing that..... until they heard food hit their bowls and then it would be over. :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I could see our boys doing that..... until they heard food hit their bowls and then it would be over. :)
Ah, but these three cats are keeping the box protected at all times, even when food is deposited in their bowls....one still stands guard on the box while the other quickly eat and then the one who had been protecting the blender is relieved of his duties as another takes his place so that he can go and eat, too..... LOL! Apparently they've set up a really good rotation system to allow for all necessary situations such as eating, paying a visit to the litter box, sleeping, etc.....

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
How often does everyone call their cats by their actual names?

We have Coco, Gismo and Gabby. Gabby usually gets called Gabby, but also gets called Fluff because she is fluffy. But the boys get called all sorts of things. For example Coco will be called Big Boy, Puff (Coco Puffs) Puff Daddy, Rescue Panther (from the commercial) and Gismo will be called Little Man, Bubby and Spaz (because he is one).

Just wondering what other names people call their cats other than their real names.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tevvi acquired her nickname bc the vet receptionist could not read, hear or say "Zantevvi" without asking why that name, did I make it up or was it out of a movie... and meanwhile the clock was ticking and I always had other errands, so the cat officially became Tevvi after a few more rounds of that at her annual checkups.

"Michael O'Shaughnessey" was one of my NYC kitties back in the 70s and he was called Mikey. His long name was bestowed on him when a brother and I had had a few beers and decided the then kitten --an orange tabby-- looked a bit like an Irishman spoiling for a fight, so we opened the Manhattan phone book to the Os, and finally settled on the name of some guy who lived down in Hell's Kitchen.

"Jefferson Airplane" was another eventual NYC find, and he promptly became oh poor baby bc he was a fraidy-cat and would freak out and run in the direction his nose pointed and slam into bookcases or walls if anyone so much as dropped a sheet of paper on the floor.

Delaware was the one who used to bring livestock into the house in the wee hours, and treat mice as though they were windup toys instead of sentient (and terrified) prey, so she was most often addressed by her full name, slowly and with emphasis on all the syllables, the same way I was in my youth when being told I was supposed to know better or else was in the process of acquiring such knowledge.

Tempted to name my next cat Badmashi after an Urdu word that means roughly "wrongdoing" but that kitty hasn't crashed onto my porch in a snowstorm yet, which is how I had acquired one or two of my former companions back in the day.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

Ah, but these three cats are keeping the box protected at all times, even when food is deposited in their bowls....one still stands guard on the box while the other quickly eat and then the one who had been protecting the blender is relieved of his duties as another takes his place so that he can go and eat, too..... LOL! Apparently they've set up a really good rotation system to allow for all necessary situations such as eating, paying a visit to the litter box, sleeping, etc.....
OMG this is epic! They definitely know what’s in that box. The loud noisey thing must not be let out!

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Just wondering what other names people call their cats other than their real names.
My cat was telepathic, so I rarely actually had to address her by name (though I did quite a fair bit just to get her to make the association). Sometimes I called her
Nefurkitty01.jpg
because, well, she was.

She did get used to her name, though, because one time we were sitting in my room and the TV in the other room was running some History Channel (back before it turned to crap) thing on Ramses II, and when the narrator said his queen's name, that got her attention.

Later, I found out her name translated to "beautiful companion", and I thought, well, of course it does.

Top Bottom
1 2