Cats

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Great Valentine’s Day. My best friend learned that her little* sister went to bed and did not wake up. She is quite upset at being the last of her generation in the family (though she does have spawn of spawn).

*considering that "little" means born in the '50s

Commiserations; that's tough.

Was it Covid, or cardiac, or something else? More to the point, was it entirely unexpected?

Why not post this in the "what are you doing today" thread?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Commiserations; that's tough.

Was it Covid, or cardiac, or something else? More to the point, was it entirely unexpected?

Why not post this in the "what are you doing today" thread?

I agree; I have to admit I was a little confused here, given that this is the pets and animals subforum, as to whether the "little" sister were actually a human or a beloved pet cat.....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Oops, I must have hit the wrong link. That was where I meant to put it.

Yes, it was completely unexpected.
Perhaps you should think of posting this - what you posted when you introduced this topic - there, (what are you doing today?) instead.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
E9080A78-E7E8-4C90-9EB1-0A5404D352F1.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Despite having sworn never to do so again, I have a new indoor housecat. Had to bring Polly in, because she kept getting beat up by Pete.

The couch is now covered in fur...

I thought that they were all good friends.

What is this? Shifting alliances?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I thought that they were all good friends.

What is this? Shifting alliances?

Apparently, there was a falling out...

Pete's always been a fairly jealous cat, always butting in the way when anyone dares pay attention to the other three. Recently, we've had this invasion of stray cats entering the yard, and as a result, Pete's also become very territorial. Now, if you pet the other cats, he'll develop a grudge, and start attacking them.

Now Fuzz is very fat, and probably the most laid back animal I've ever owned. When Pete jumps her, she'll smack him off, and be no worse for wear. Polly is a much smaller and more sensitive cat. She started becoming stressed out just being around Pete, always fearing he'd jump her. She quit eating, and started using the cat box constantly. I decided to let her inside because of this.

It worked. After a couple of days, she started relaxing, acting more like her old self. The only downside is I now have fur everywhere.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Pete's always been a fairly jealous cat, always butting in the way when anyone dares pay attention to the other three. Recently, we've had this invasion of stray cats entering the yard, and as a result, Pete's also become very territorial. Now, if you pet the other cats, he'll develop a grudge, and start attacking them.

Now Fuzz is very fat, and probably the most laid back animal I've ever owned. When Pete jumps her, she'll smack him off, and be no worse for wear. Polly is a much smaller and more sensitive cat. She started becoming stressed out just being around Pete, always fearing he'd jump her. She quit eating, and started using the cat box constantly. I decided to let her inside because of this.

It worked. After a couple of days, she started relaxing, acting more like her old self. The only downside is I now have fur everywhere.

I think you may have metioned (in an earlier post) that Pete is also a very large cat, so, I daresay, that he can pack a feline punch when he decides to attack or hit someone.

Is he neutered, or has he been neutered? Is he the only male of the gang?

He is not young, so why has he become more possessive and jealous of atention paid to the others, and more territorial now - invasions of strays notwithstanding?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I think you may have metioned (in an earlier post) that Pete is also a very large cat, so, I daresay, that he can pack a feline punch when he decides to attack or hit someone.

Is he neutered, or has he been neutered? Is he the only male of the gang?

He is not young, so why has he become more possessive and jealous of atention paid to the others, and more territorial now - invasions of strays notwithstanding?

Yeah, he's the only male among the 4, and he has been neutered. Thank god for that, because if he weren't, he'd be less a cat, more a puma.

He's always been a jealous cat, and he always has played rough with the other two, so that isn't new behavior. It escalated when the strays regularly started showing up in the yard, when it went from an occasional thing, to almost daily attacks.

It's not like he's trying to hurt the other cats. More like he's constantly bullying them. He'll run up to them, knock them over, smack them a few times, then leave them be for awhile. There's always a lot of hissing and screaming while it's happening, and you'd think it was a fight to the death from the sound of it, but there's never any injuries sustained beyond lightly scratched noses.

Guess you could say it's like he suddenly felt this need to establish cat dominance among the herd. Fuzz acclimated to this new change. Polly didn't.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yeah, he's the only male among the 4, and he has been neutered. Thank god for that, because if he weren't, he'd be less a cat, more a puma.

He's always been a jealous cat, and he always has played rough with the other two, so that isn't new behavior. It escalated when the strays regularly started showing up in the yard, when it went from an occasional thing, to almost daily attacks.

It's not like he's trying to hurt the other cats. More like he's constantly bullying them. He'll run up to them, knock them over, smack them a few times, then leave them be for awhile. There's always a lot of hissing and screaming while it's happening, and you'd think it was a fight to the death from the sound of it, but there's never any injuries sustained beyond lightly scratched noses.

Guess you could say it's like he suddenly felt this need to establish cat dominance among the herd. Fuzz acclimated to this new change. Polly didn't.

In a way, it is a pity that they are litter mates and/or that he is the sole male.

An older female cat wouldn't have allowed him to have established such dominance.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score

There's this thing called a vacuum cleaner. ;)

Top Bottom
1 2