Cats

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We took care of my friend's black cat for a few months. She was pregnant at the time (the cat, not the friend) and my one cousin ended up adopting two of the kittens (one was black with the cutest white mustache). What I remember distinctly was when I first met the cat, she smelled like a girl's bedroom. I want to believe that it was just environmentally absorbed, because the idea of someone perfuming their cat sounds like cruelty.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What I remember distinctly was when I first met the cat, she smelled like a girl's bedroom. I want to believe that it was just environmentally absorbed, because the idea of someone perfuming their cat sounds like cruelty.
Cats have distinct scents. Our ginger smells like baby powder. He always has. We have no baby powder in the house. The floof smells less like powder and more like some exotic spice. The black one just smells like his CBD collar so we can all mellow out.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Well, my cat smelled like a cat, and guest cat stopped smelling like perfume in less than a week. We had my dad's ancient seal point after he passed on, and she smelled like a cat (but holy crap, that voice, we considered renting her out to remodelers for stripping wallpaper). I have never really noticed a distinctive non-cat smell from any of our cats.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Siamese cats definitely have distinctive voices and they are quite vocal a lot of the time! To this day I have never forgotten the time when I needed to transport my two Siamese boys to our new home and the entire journey (thankfully wasn't a long one) was me at the wheel of the car, trying to keep my attention on the road while being serenaded by a very loud chorus of protests -- I think they anticipated that we were going to the....ahem....V E T but of course that was not the case this time. Longer drive, for one thing. That didn't matter to them. They protested anyway. Needless to say I was more than relieved to finally arrive at the destination and bundle them, each in his own carrier, into their new home and finally have some peace and quiet!

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Siamese cats definitely have distinctive voices and they are quite vocal a lot of the time! To this day I have never forgotten the time when I needed to transport my two Siamese boys to our new home and the entire journey (thankfully wasn't a long one) was me at the wheel of the car, trying to keep my attention on the road while being serenaded by a very loud chorus of protests -- I think they anticipated that we were going to the....ahem....V E T but of course that was not the case this time. Longer drive, for one thing. That didn't matter to them. They protested anyway. Needless to say I was more than relieved to finally arrive at the destination and bundle them, each in his own carrier, into their new home and finally have some peace and quiet!
I loved my siamese. She lived 19 years. Thankfully, she went quickly when it was time.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Now that I have a cat indoors, I've come to realize that she makes some really weird noises I've never quite heard from another cats. It's hard to explain. It's mostly trills, but also these "pleurp-pleurp-pleurp" and "thoooo-thoooo" sounds that are just odd.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that I have a cat indoors, I've come to realize that she makes some really weird noises I've never quite heard from another cats. It's hard to explain. It's mostly trills, but also these "pleurp-pleurp-pleurp" and "thoooo-thoooo" sounds that are just odd.
Cat speech is wonderful. We had the floof for a year before he decided to start talking. Now he does it when he wants attention. Jet does it when he’s playing fetch, or in the middle of the night when he feels you should wake up cause he has something important to say (or when he feels the food bowl is empty enough that he risks starvation before the sun comes up), and the old man usually just makes meep sounds as if to agree with whatever is going on in the house.

I really don’t understand how people can live without a cat (or two) in the house.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Cat speech is wonderful. We had the floof for a year before he decided to start talking. Now he does it when he wants attention. Jet does it when he’s playing fetch, or in the middle of the night when he feels you should wake up cause he has something important to say (or when he feels the food bowl is empty enough that he risks starvation before the sun comes up), and the old man usually just makes meep sounds as if to agree with whatever is going on in the house.

I really don’t understand how people can live without a cat (or two) in the house.

I have to stand on my hands sometimes not to explore my options to acquire another kitty. I wouldn't even have to venture to a shelter, since a new-to-me barn kitty just old enough to know how to nail a mouse is just a phone call away almost any time in spring and summer. But I'm not missing the downsides of the extra work or expenses either. So on balance, and so far, life without a cat in the house remains an OK experience as long as I don't dwell on the now missing upside of the ledger. No one can take away the sweet or comical memories, that's for sure.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

It would drive my allergies crazy. Cats around my neighborhood still become accustomed to me and don't run away. A couple of them seem to enjoy it when I watch cars with them.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thor (the one that likes to play fetch) will randomly go around and make noises like he's being murdered. I have not figured out why he does this. Whether he feels lost, or is looking for his brother, or wants me to come to him, or just wants attention, I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ but it's quite endearing.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thor (the one that likes to play fetch) will randomly go around and make noises like he's being murdered. I have not figured out why he does this. Whether he feels lost, or is looking for his brother, or wants me to come to him, or just wants attention, I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ but it's quite endearing.
What you’re describing sounds a lot like what Jet does when he’s roaming the house with a jingle ball in his mouth.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I loved my two boys when they were here ruling the household, but after the second one also crossed the Rainbow Bridge, I decided that I wouldn't do anything for a while.....and see what Life Without Cats would be like. The first thing I noticed was how much less sneezing I was doing, as the two cats, even though short-haired, did trigger my allergies. I also appreciated (and still do) the freedom of being able to come-and-go, at times being away from home for long periods of time, without having to worry about the cats and who would look after them and such. I had run into that situation with Harry and Tali a couple of times, and it really felt like such a relief to no longer have that concern, to be able to plan a trip and just go. A couple of times in the years since my boys have been gone I've been away from home much longer than originally anticipated, making me all the more thankful that I didn't have to worry about the cats at home. After about a year or so, one day I quietly took the cat tree and the two cat carriers out to the recycling area.....

Top Bottom
1 2