Chrome OS 91.0.4472.165 is bricking devices

U

User 189

Like many other people, I have happened to fall victim to this update.

The Chromebook Help Community is in complete shambles right now.

U

User.191

Like many other people, I have happened to fall victim to this update.

The Chromebook Help Community is in complete shambles right now.
I seem to remember when Google first annunced the ChromeBook in 2010 that its biggest virtue was being a ‘cloud centric’ device.

This sadly is what happens with feature creep. The more they deviated from the original design the more possible that situations like this went from an inconvenience to a minor/major disaster.

Not got one myself so I was wondering what the backup solutions are like for stuff outside the original vision.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I seem to remember when Google first annunced the ChromeBook in 2010 that its biggest virtue was being a ‘cloud centric’ device.

This sadly is what happens with feature creep. The more they deviated from the original design the more possible that situations like this went from an inconvenience to a minor/major disaster.

Not got one myself so I was wondering what the backup solutions are like for stuff outside the original vision.
I feel like they almost had to shift the way the ChromeBook worked. IMO the user experience of using a thin client with no capability to do anything locally or limited off-line capability is just bad. Though I may be biased because I never liked the idea of "everything is webapp".

U

User.191

That isn't entirely true. Google's productivity suite can be used offline, not to mention that you can store files locally if you really want to.

You can even use Gmail offline.

Or Netflix! 🥤🍿

There are some other examples too.

https://youtu.be/5_84EeKUtHk
https://youtu.be/B7msbICrQHw
https://youtu.be/CfJ9iuT5R6o

Well, let’s be honest, they had to make it signiifcantly more flexible. As it stood it was never going to get the hobbyist and geeks on board iof it remained a simple ‘localized cloud portal’.

And now they have they’re slwoly finding out the flipside. The more functional they make it, the more issues they’ll have.

The dream has gone mainstream - the Chromebook is now just another laptop with a vendor supplied OS.

U

User 189

Well, let’s be honest, they had to make it signiifcantly more flexible. As it stood it was never going to get the hobbyist and geeks on board iof it remained a simple ‘localized cloud portal’.
It was meant for people who are tech-illiterate or just need to access a web browser for their daily needs.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
That isn't entirely true. Google's productivity suite can be used offline, not to mention that you can store files locally if you really want to.

You can even use Gmail offline.

Or Netflix! 🥤🍿

There are some other examples too.

https://youtu.be/5_84EeKUtHk
https://youtu.be/B7msbICrQHw
https://youtu.be/CfJ9iuT5R6o

I didn’t say it isn’t possible now but when the ChromeBook was first released it was very limited in what it could do offline and locally. They’ve had to shift the focus of the ChromeBook over time.

Last edited:
U

User.191

Wait, why?
Google. I had a guy who ‘worked’ for me (by ‘worked’ I mean I hired him then spent days tracking how much time he’d spent on smoke breaks and not working) who loved his Chromebook because it was ‘hackable’.

He told us over a team lunch once how he and his other geeky friends all thought Chromebooks were the best thing since slice bread. Apparently Windows was too mainstrem, Macs were too elitest and Linux was by then too passé, so the Chromebooks were it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I imagine this problem (bricking) can pop up in any system. Months ago updating to iOS14 caused my iPhone to lock up. Took a $$ trip to Best Buy to recover it.

Sorry to hear you're a victim, @AutomaticApple.

U

User 189

Months ago updating to iOS14 caused my iPhone to lock up. Took a $$ trip to Best Buy to recover it.
I can't imagine that it was a widespread issue though.
Google. I had a guy who ‘worked’ for me (by ‘worked’ I mean I hired him then spent days tracking how much time he’d spent on smoke breaks and not working) who loved his Chromebook because it was ‘hackable’.

He told us over a team lunch once how he and his other geeky friends all thought Chromebooks were the best thing since slice bread. Apparently Windows was too mainstrem, Macs were too elitest and Linux was by then too passé, so the Chromebooks were it.
That's odd...

U

User.191

That's odd...
He was a thoroughly odd person. Not only did the poor schlep have major gastrointestinal issues, he also smoked like a chimney (each smoke break would be 2 or 3 fags). So not only would he be gone for 20 minutes having his smoke breaks, he'd then take another 20 to be on the toilet. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times a day. Lunch of course was different. He'd take his lunch break for an hour THEN do his fags etc.

Add to that he'd be in at 9am (If he managed to wake up on time) and leave dead on 5. And he wondered why he got written up so many times.

Bugger managed to quit the day before he was going to get shitcanned by me. Which, TBH, worked out the best.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Actually they said they were seeing quite a few people with that problem. My phone’s a 7, so maybe it was primarily with older phones.

Parenthetically…this was years and years ago, but does anybody else remember an iTunes update that wiped people’s entire music libraries? It wasn’t an exploit; as I recall it was a . in the wrong place in the code.

U

User 189

Actually they said they were seeing quite a few people with that problem. My phone’s a 7, so maybe it was primarily with older phones.
Who said that? And where?
Parenthetically…this was years and years ago, but does anybody else remember an iTunes update that wiped people’s entire music libraries? It wasn’t an exploit; as I recall it was a . in the wrong place in the code.
I think I remember that... sort of...

I have good news though! :)

Top Bottom
1 2