Church Pastor, "I have no obligation to report child sexual abuse if someone approaches me in a repentant manner about committing it"

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
“People adored the pastor,” Wilbur said. “I did feel very loved when I got there, at first.”

Wilbur has since renounced her CFC membership and is speaking out to hold community leaders responsible for pressuring her to remain in an abusive marriage, which she claims put her kids at risk. She isn’t alone in seeking to hold CFC pastors accountable.

On May 29, 2022, the sanctuary in Madrid was filled with church members who had come to discuss a news article, published a week earlier, reporting that Sean Ferguson, a husband, father and faithful CFC member, had been charged with first-degree sexual abuse of a child. Days later, Ferguson’s sister tweeted that CFC had known about Sean Ferguson’s abuse five years prior, in 2017.

Police records indicate — and New York state police confirmed — that Ferguson was charged in 2022 with having sexually abused his two young daughters in 2015. Ferguson’s lawyer did not respond to requests for comment.

At the May meeting, Sinclair defended his decision not to report Ferguson’s abuse to police, child protective services or to the broader CFC community. “His entire approach to addressing this crisis was the claim that he’s under no moral obligation to report unless someone can conclusively demonstrate that to him from Scripture,” said a CFC member who attended the meeting.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey if you say you feel bad all is good right? no problem that child really wanted it and seduced me me so were good right???

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The religious right’s obsession with abortion and child abuse is starting to make a lot of sense, given what we’ve known and continue to find out about their own issues. Maybe they aren’t fooled by Donald Trump’s projection of his own sins into others, but inspired by it. Just accuse others of what you yourself are guilty of.

Despite this, there are a lot of good churches out there. They’re not all full of racists, bigots and criminals. Where are they in speaking out about this kind of soiling of their institutions? Maybe its a similar makeup to the GOP; there aren’t enough of those kinds of churches, just as there aren’t enough kinds of those conservatives.

Top Bottom
1 2