Circuit City

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't think Circuit City needs introduction, but for those who weren't aware, it was Best Buy's main competitor. They had a distinct "plug" entrance with a red color palette.

Circuit City went bankrupt in early 2009 and liquidated all of its stores. The company still maintains an online presence through its website: https://www.circuitcity.com/

There's an abandoned Circuit City that's visible from the highway in Somerville, Massachusetts. I usually see it on the way to work.
g8eym39djf391.png

wxcc6mydjf391.png

hqmorxvejf391.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We had two. One actually became a Best Buy and the other one is an Ollie's.

I feel like I stole the speakers in my theater from them. It was when they were starting to go down and they had a set of their top of the line Polk tower speakers on sale. So I bought them and was happy with the price.

But they had this policy that if an item goes on sale within 30-45 days, you get the difference back plus 10%. The dropped the price like 3 more times before the time period ran out. Don't remember the actual numbers, but I want to say I ended up getting close to half what I paid back.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The first place I saw a bondi blue iMac in 1998 was at Circuit City’s “Apple store-in-a-store.” I used to work across the street from one. I’d go over sometimes during my lunch break to see the latest Mac stuff.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Speaking of dead electronics retail, Fry's Electronics didn't survive the pandemic. Not that they were in great shape before it, they'd been closing stores and having insane problems stocking anything because they couldn't pay distributors or something like that. It's honestly a mystery to me how they didn't go out of business long, long ago.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of dead electronics retail, Fry's Electronics didn't survive the pandemic. Not that they were in great shape before it, they'd been closing stores and having insane problems stocking anything because they couldn't pay distributors or something like that. It's honestly a mystery to me how they didn't go out of business long, long ago.

I don't think I even realized that, I knew them by name, but they just sort of slipped away (we didn't have one in the greater, local area).

I guess Microcenter is still doing decently well[?]

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't think I even realized that, I knew them by name, but they just sort of slipped away (we didn't have one in the greater, local area).

I guess Microcenter is still doing decently well[?]
I went to a MicroCenter recently. It feels like a trip back in time, but somehow they make it work.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I was sad at the loss of Fry's, and Circuit City, and will be sad about Sears even though I haven't been in one in many years. Suggestive of why they are gone. For that matter, I miss being able to buy electrical components at Radio Shack.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was sad at the loss of Fry's, and Circuit City, and will be sad about Sears even though I haven't been in one in many years. Suggestive of why they are gone. For that matter, I miss being able to buy electrical components at Radio Shack.
If it helps you get over the loss of Radio Shack, I’m happy to ask you for your phone number for no good reason just like they always did.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
If it helps you get over the loss of Radio Shack, I’m happy to ask you for your phone number for no good reason just like they always did.
I feel better, thank you. Can I get my one free battery this month?

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
I went to a MicroCenter recently. It feels like a trip back in time, but somehow they make it work.

I love Microcenter but just across the river for me makes it hard to motivate me to actually go in and not buy on Amazon these days.

I think what may keep them going are their in-store only specials. I'd not be surprised if some of the CPUs and other high-dollar items are loss leaders or if not are sold at close to cost, as you won't find them less expensive anywhere. Once you're in the store, they run enough great specials on stuff that it's really easy to buy far more than you intended.

Still, though, I feel like they're a bit of a shadow their former selves. In store variety/selection doesn't seem where it once was, and the last time I was in one there were some glaring omissions like no Samsung SSD at all.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
I love Microcenter but just across the river for me makes it hard to motivate me to actually go in and not buy on Amazon these days.

I think what may keep them going are their in-store only specials. I'd not be surprised if some of the CPUs and other high-dollar items are loss leaders or if not are sold at close to cost, as you won't find them less expensive anywhere. Once you're in the store, they run enough great specials on stuff that it's really easy to buy far more than you intended.

Still, though, I feel like they're a bit of a shadow their former selves. In store variety/selection doesn't seem where it once was, and the last time I was in one there were some glaring omissions like no Samsung SSD at all.
I believe they were giving away low-tier SSDs for free at one point.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
Is the next thread about Fryes?
Somebody already created a thread pertaining to Fry's Electronics.

Top Bottom
1 2