Cleaning Your Computer Utilities

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Anyone use them? Any reason not to use them? I see some people call programs like this malware. I used Clean Your Mac X to clean off about a Gig od space off my wife’s MacBook Air because when I tried to install Big Sur, it told me I needed 30Gb of space.

Regarding CleanYourMacX it is a trial version and they want a subscription, No thank you.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I heard about these programs is that they’re mostly scams, especially Clean Your Mac X. I have never used it but I hear it’s particularly difficult to uninstall it which is pretty unacceptable and smells of something shady.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
From what I heard about these programs is that they’re mostly scams, especially Clean Your Mac X. I have never used it but I hear it’s particularly difficult to uninstall it which is pretty unacceptable and smells of something shady.
Well, CYMX removed quit a bit of stuff, looking at the hard drive, and was easy to uninstall. It has an uninstall program module (for any program on your computer) and I used that to select it as a program and it removed itself. My primary issue with this was it was a trial and they like so many others now want you to rent their software, thanks but no thanks if I can avoid that. :unsure:

I’m also looking at Onyx a free program.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I’ve used Onyx in the past to fix stability issues on my older iMac. I don’t think it “cleans up” much though, except for clearing some caches.

Never had a problem with it. Scamware it’s not.
My impression is the MacOS definitely needs something for removing the remnants of removed programs. Windows has this.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve used Onyx in the past to fix stability issues on my older iMac. I don’t think it “cleans up” much though, except for clearing some caches.

Never had a problem with it. Scamware it’s not.
Onyx is probably the only one that I would trust. That's like the only one I've heard good things about and have used it a few times.

Roller

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never used any of these utilities. But, every few years, I work up the courage to do a clean macOS install, copying just data from a cloned backup and then re-installing all my apps from scratch. It usually takes a few days to get everything back the way I need it, but it's like moving from one home to another — I get rid of a lot. This time around, I'm going to wait until I replace my Intel iMac with an iMac M (or Mac mini M, if Apple releases one with a faster processor).

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I've gotten computer restores down to a near exact science. I use my Documents folder for all my important files that I really don't want to lose. Everything in this document folder is backed up to OneDrive, and for extra safety, copied over to an external drive. If I ever feel the need to wipe my OS, and start fresh, all I need to do is copy the Documents folder from the external drive, or download off OneDrive. The only thing left from that point is installing all my applications, download BitWarden, and log back in to all my websites, which usually only takes me about an hour or so to do.

P_X

Captain
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've gotten computer restores down to a near exact science. I use my Documents folder for all my important files that I really don't want to lose. Everything in this document folder is backed up to OneDrive, and for extra safety, copied over to an external drive. If I ever feel the need to wipe my OS, and start fresh, all I need to do is copy the Documents folder from the external drive, or download off OneDrive. The only thing left from that point is installing all my applications, download BitWarden, and log back in to all my websites, which usually only takes me about an hour or so to do.
I'm still rocking a 1TB and a 2TB Time Capsule each ethernet connected to a mesh router located in opposite corners of the house. This way I can bypass the wifi bottleneck of the old Time Capsule routers and get decent backup and recovery speeds. But I'll say I only reinstall my mac when I get a new machine. Since using a TC/Mac (almost 10 years) I've only had one data loss event and it was an MS permission issue.

sgtaylor5

Vaccinated
Reaction score
AppCleaner from FreeMacSoft. Drag and drop an application onto it and it finds most of the ancillary files scattered about the drive. Also PkgUninstaller from CoreCode; paid, but it reads the package manifest from pkg-installed apps and uninstalls them.

Top Bottom