Cleveland Indians announce new name. (Washington, you’re up.)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
The Tribe will now be known as the Guardians.

The name does have a Cleveland historical background. A major bridge in town is adorned with art deco sculptures collectively known as guardians.

7FE213F5-22EF-4479-AAC7-47DA1631C5EA.jpeg

By this time I think most of the grousing is over. Time to accept it, get used to it and embrace it.

Et tu, Washington Football Team?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Not a bad name. I, personally, would've preferred they called themselves the Washington Nondescript Culturally Ambiguous Sports Team Players. Their mascot could be a grey box with legs.

D

Deleted member 199

True. I didn't think of that.

It can just be a grey box then.
Insensitive to people with grey hair.. or... without grey hair....

also if its smooth, it's insensitive to people without hair... or with hair...

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Et tu, Washington Football Team?

They messed up. Should have started with The Washington Football Club instead of team. Let the kids figure out it isn't soccer. 🤣

On a side note, ESPN.com will put up links so you can follow certain teams. Since a good number of people where I live follow the WFT, it appears regularly. But is still using the name Redskins. :oops:

lizkat

Deep deep blue
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
More on the name change in Cleveland, which change will apparently formally take place as the 2022 season starts.

Meanwhile one can buy face masks with both old and new names in assorted styles, it says at the bottom of the piece... I'll keep my old Indians hat as very local museum fare, and save up for a new one to threaten to burn whenever "The Tribe" messes up. My old hat sure managed a few narrow escapes over the years... and was thrown in the air a few times as well. Can't win 'em all, but the game itself is the thing, never get tired of hearing "Play ball!"

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Insensitive to people with grey hair.. or... without grey hair....

also if its smooth, it's insensitive to people without hair... or with hair...

It's...it's a box, Steve. Don't go out of your way trying to find reasons to project your personal hair dilemmas.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm not 100% onboard with all the PC changes going on out there but this is one that needed to happen. You wouldn't have a team called the Blackskins or the Negros, why is it okay to call them Redskins? It was never an homage, it has always been pejorative and patently offensive.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I have to admit, more than anything else I’ll miss calling them The Tribe.

Beyond its literal meaning, “tribe” is short and pithy. It conveys region and family. It just fit so well.

Hmm…I wonder if there gonna still let that fan sit at every home game beating the drums. He’s pretty much of an institution around there.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I can convince the Q people that the statues are really robots, that were installed as a failsafe in case a Republican mayor is elected. That image just amuses me far too much.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
On a side note, ESPN.com will put up links so you can follow certain teams. Since a good number of people where I live follow the WFT, it appears regularly. But is still using the name Redskins. :oops:

I found it. You would think a company that tries to be as progressive as ESPN does would have caught this by now.

Attachments

• Redskins.png
    Redskins.png
    125 KB · Views: 26

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I found it. You would think a company that tries to be as progressive as ESPN does would have caught this by now.
Wait, ESPN is progressive? Maybe you should tell former black female reporters Jemele Hill, Maria Taylor and Kayla Johnson… 🤦‍♂️

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Wait, ESPN is progressive? Maybe you should tell former black female reporters Jemele Hill, Maria Taylor and Kayla Johnson… 🤦‍♂️

Ok, so they virtue signal their progressiveness.

But I see Hill and Taylor as different issues. Hill kept trying to bring politics into her comments. Was warned and kept doing it.

Taylor got hosed.

Top Bottom