Coffee, Café Culture, Culture, Chat, & Conversation...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I obtained my (two) coffees from Guatemala from small local roaster, who deal directly with small, local producers in the country in question.

This model means that they never stock a large variety of coffees, instead thye prefer to concentrate on stocking what is seasonal.

The drawback - or downside - of that is that you will have perhaps two or three coffees from one country (one of the other small businesses that I order my coffee from currently stocks five different coffees from Nicaragua, and almost nothing else), and nothing from anywhere else. And yes, they tend to be somewhat more expensive than coffees bought in shops.

Now, I had never encountered, or seen - let alone tasted, or tried - a coffee from Guatemala, and when two different coffees from that country (both from the Huehuetenango region, which seems to produce what is considered to be the best coffee in the country) became available around two weeks ago, I ordered both (along wth an Ethiopian coffee, which I know I like).

The notes from the roaster mention that they had purchased five sacks of coffee (out of a grand total of thirteen) produced by one of these (small, with the coffee beans grown at quite a high elevation) Guatemalan producers last year.

Now, whie I love coffees from East Africa or the Horn of Africa, (Ethiopia and Kenya for preference, though coffees from Yemen - when one is fortunate enough to be able to lay hands on them - are also excellent), I am also partial to coffees from El Salvador (and indeed, Costa Rica), and so was intrigued by the idea of trying out a coffee from Guatemala, and I must say that they are are exceedingly good.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sipping a second coffee today - a rare treat; the coffee is from Guatemala (served with organic hot milk), and has been thoroughly enjoyed with (delicious) French strawberry tarts, purchased in the French bakery.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Perusing several of my favourite coffee sites.

In this context, a number of variables arise; the service, reliability (and quality and variety of the coffee) offered by each business.

And, also, while I am more than guilty of simply placing orders for coffees I know and love (the coffees of East Africa especially come to mind, Ethiopia, Kenya), I also know that it is very good (psychologically, physically, personally, professionally) to bestir oneself and venture beyond one's comfort zone - and, in the context of coffee, that means sampling, savouring and sipping coffees from countries and regions that one may not have encountered before.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well, I was running low on coffee, but a timely post from @JamesMike reminded to place an order for coffee.

Thus, I have ordered some coffee from Ethiopia, Kenya and Costa Rica.

Can't go wrong with that selection.

Top Bottom
1 2