Coffee, Café Culture, Culture, Chat, & Conversation...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I wish I enjoyed coffee more, simply so I could engage in this thread.

Coffee is very variable, and can be served in a number of different ways.

Likewise, coffees from different regions, and countries, vary hugely, and it can take some time to work out what it is that you like, but, this, too, is something that can change over time.

Abroad, and in company, I love espresso; however, at home in our dull, grey, climes, I find my preferences tend more towards something milky - such as a flat white, when out, or a filter coffee served with hot milk, when home - whenever I treat myself to a coffee.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Recently, it's been tacos.

You must be missing jk, nobody could talk tacos like jk... Rumor has it a more subdued version of him is posting over at MR from time to time.

Yes, I would happily read more about tacos - and other Mexican culinary specialties - from jk.

However, the veritable deluge of memes did nothing for me.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Coffee is very variable, and can be served in a number of different ways.

Likewise, coffees from different regions, and countries, vary hugely, and it can take some time to ork out what it is that you like.

Abroad, and in company, I love espresso; however, at home in our dull, grey, climes, I find my preferences tend more towards something milky - such as a flat white, when out, or a filter coffee served with hot milk, when home - whenever I treat myself to a coffee.

The problem with coffee is that there's something of a high barrier to entry. You have to have a variety of equipment, know your various beans, know how to prepare it. It's not something you can ease yourself into. You have to commit to it wholly from the start.

He ain't mean nothin' by it. He's just a little slow's all.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The problem with coffee is that there's something of a high barrier to entry. You have to have a variety of equipment, know your various beans, know how to prepare it. It's not something you can ease yourself into. You have to commit to it wholly from the start.
Not really (although I don't deny - or doubt - that some people think that way).

Let the judgmental judge; I just want a good - okay, preferably, very good - (but not perfect) cup of coffee.

Most days, my morning coffee is prepared with a Hario (ceramic) dripper and filter paper - one of the cheapest, and most forgiving methods of preparation there is.

You can, or will, find ceramic drippers, copper drippers, wooden (Japanese) drippers, and plastic drippers - which are great for travel - and all work well. When equipped with dripper and filter paper (and mug), and kettle, all you then need is some ground coffee.

Other times, I use a French Press, which is also extremely forgiving.

I only use my moka pot on Sunday mornings, or, when I am in a good mood, am relaxed, have a lot of time, and - perhaps - the sun is shining.

In other words, one does not need equipment that costs thousands and thousands (or hundreds and hundreds), such as espresso machines, or grinders, or the various other extras and accessories.

And, these days - something which will outrage the purists - I tend to have my beans ground by someone else; yes, I do have manual grinders, but - frankly, increasingly, I find that they are a pain to use. Convenience over purist values.

Now, what does take some time, is working out what your own personal preferences are; and, also recognising that (or when) these preferences may undergo some degree of change as your own tastes are transformed by age, changed circumstances, mature palate, etc.

Personally, I have long liked some (not all) of the coffees from central America - such as some of the coffees from El Salvador and Costa Rica.

But, over the past decade, I have also come to really appreciate and savour some of the coffees from the Horn of Africa (especially Ethiopian and Kenyan coffees).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

The other thing re quality is that I don't buy my coffee in stores; rather, I tend to buy it from small local coffee shops (that have cultivated links with small, roasters and producers), or, small coffee roasters or importers, who, again, work with small (often family owned) producers of coffee.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The other thing re quality is that I don't buy my coffee in stores; rather, I tend to buy it from small local coffee shops (that have cultivated links with small, roasters and producers), or, small coffee roasters or importers, who, again, work with small (often family owned) producers of coffee.

Out of curiosity, I looked up local coffee shops near me, and it turns out that there's one literally two minutes down the street from me. I have no idea how I've missed this for so long, but now it's got my interest piqued.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I looked up local coffee shops near me, and it turns out that there's one literally two minutes down the street from me. I have no idea how I've missed this for so long, but now it's got my interest piqued.

Quite often, they - such local coffee shops - tend to source their coffee from small, local, producers in the countries where coffee beans are grown, and will usually pay them properly, the old 'fair trade' idea. Moreover, their coffee will be of a far higher standard than one will find in some of the well-known chains.

Anyway, I like the idea of giving money to small local businesses, and also (by extension) to small, local, (often family owned) coffee producers, rather than to chains, where quality (and ethics) may be questionable.

Ecologically, environmentally, economically and ethically, this appeals to me; and, in general, because they are not driven by the imperatives of profit (or, not driven exclusively by the profit motive), such coffee tends to be of a higher quality, and, surprisingly often, will come from unusual - perhaps, challenging to grow - heritage coffee beans.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Quite often, they - such local coffee shops - tend to source their coffee from small, local, producers in the countries where coffee beans are grown, and will usually pay them properly, the old 'fair trade' idea. Moreover, their coffee will be of a far higher standard than one will find in some of the well-known chains.

Now you've got me wondering what kinda bean trade we'd have around here. Truth be told, it kinda concerns me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Coffee is one of those things where there are some super easy, not very expensive, __major__ improvements, then some obsessive levels of expense, effort that for that last 10% that I don't care about :) It's a lot like audio equipment.

Grinding your beans at use really opens up the flavor, even for big named brands. I'd take a fresh ground in the morning Peet's over a "fresher" small brand that was ground at purchase (and then used over 5-7 days). It doesn't have to be overly complicated in terms of general types of coffee either, dark vs. light, peety vs. citrusy vs. chocolate-y.

A French Press makes terrific coffee, it's super easy, there's no consumables (filters), and it easily scales depending on how much coffee you drink.

You don't even need a dedicated kettle, but an electric one is super convenient, and it's not expensive.

I like a stainless French Press, the dual wall design hold the heat much better vs. glass, it's easier to clean, way more durable, this is one we've used for years, even bought it for other people:

$24.50

You don't have to spend a ton on a ginder either, the "go to" is a burr grinder for consistent grinds, there's a flat burr, and a conical burr, the latter being better (more consistently grinds vs. breaks the beans).

This is where you'll spend a bit more money, for the price, it's nearly impossible to beat the Oxo conical grinder:

$104.95, but you can catch it on sale on occasion, and like right now, Amazon CC holders get 10% CB

Other notable burr grinders (most of these are the flat burr, which are still very good) are the Cuisinart DBM-8 (~$60), Bodium Bistro (~$90), Capresso conical grinder (~$90), and a whole slew of NNB models, some getting really good reviews like Shardor (~$50, which is amazing).

Then just any electric kettle for $20-25, here's one:

Nothing special, just a stainless water heater, uses a little base (so the kettle itself is cordless), there's an Amazon Basics, for $24, I've seen that for $20, you probably only need a 1 liter kettle, that's plenty for a one full pot of coffee using the French press I linked above.

So maybe $150 for a press, grinder, kettle. Now you just need to score some beans, again, I'd take fresh ground Starbucks over pre-ground anything else, that grinding process just lets the flavors, the smells, everything just really opens up and it's amazing. Sure, some fresh boutique beans freshly ground are even better, I just find that's a diminishing return, the grind + correct heat water makes spectacular coffee. I can get coffee in the cups starting from scratch in 10 minutes (maybe 15 if the kettle needs filling, FP needs cleaning, but we usually do that in advance).

The making process is pretty easy too, it's all in the timing, particularly around the water (heat). Can follow up if you decide to give this a shot :cool:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Excellent post, @DT and I agree with you completely on the distinction to be drawn (in coffee preparation) between what you have described as "super easy not very expensive major improvements", and obsessive levels of expense.

The latter - both the obsessive and the expense - hold little attraction for me.

Just now, am sipping an afternoon mug of Kenyan coffee, (made in my Hario, ceramic, dripper with filter paper) with organic hot milk.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes, I would happily read more about tacos - and other Mexican culinary specialties - from jk.

I just clipped the ones I liked and scrolled past the rest figuring sooner or later there'd be yet another good Mexican food recipe under there somewhere. But... when he was not into meme-relay, seems like he was (and still is) pretty wrapped up in 3D printing adventures. Later for food experiments, I guess. More the pity for us here. What he used to share on MR in the way of food ideas was worth wading through the memes.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Coffee is one of those things where there are some super easy, not very expensive, __major__ improvements, then some obsessive levels of expense, effort that for that last 10% that I don't care about :) It's a lot like audio equipment.

Grinding your beans at use really opens up the flavor, even for big named brands. I'd take a fresh ground in the morning Peet's over a "fresher" small brand that was ground at purchase (and then used over 5-7 days). It doesn't have to be overly complicated in terms of general types of coffee either, dark vs. light, peety vs. citrusy vs. chocolate-y.

A French Press makes terrific coffee, it's super easy, there's no consumables (filters), and it easily scales depending on how much coffee you drink.

You don't even need a dedicated kettle, but an electric one is super convenient, and it's not expensive.

I like a stainless French Press, the dual wall design hold the heat much better vs. glass, it's easier to clean, way more durable, this is one we've used for years, even bought it for other people:

$24.50

You don't have to spend a ton on a ginder either, the "go to" is a burr grinder for consistent grinds, there's a flat burr, and a conical burr, the latter being better (more consistently grinds vs. breaks the beans).

This is where you'll spend a bit more money, for the price, it's nearly impossible to beat the Oxo conical grinder:

$104.95, but you can catch it on sale on occasion, and like right now, Amazon CC holders get 10% CB

Other notable burr grinders (most of these are the flat burr, which are still very good) are the Cuisinart DBM-8 (~$60), Bodium Bistro (~$90), Capresso conical grinder (~$90), and a whole slew of NNB models, some getting really good reviews like Shardor (~$50, which is amazing).

Then just any electric kettle for $20-25, here's one:

Nothing special, just a stainless water heater, uses a little base (so the kettle itself is cordless), there's an Amazon Basics, for $24, I've seen that for $20, you probably only need a 1 liter kettle, that's plenty for a one full pot of coffee using the French press I linked above.

So maybe $150 for a press, grinder, kettle. Now you just need to score some beans, again, I'd take fresh ground Starbucks over pre-ground anything else, that grinding process just lets the flavors, the smells, everything just really opens up and it's amazing. Sure, some fresh boutique beans freshly ground are even better, I just find that's a diminishing return, the grind + correct heat water makes spectacular coffee. I can get coffee in the cups starting from scratch in 10 minutes (maybe 15 if the kettle needs filling, FP needs cleaning, but we usually do that in advance).

The making process is pretty easy too, it's all in the timing, particularly around the water (heat). Can follow up if you decide to give this a shot :cool:
I learned that a manual grinder is not the way to go u less you don’t mind spending 5 minutes grinding, at least it felt that long. I have an electric

He ain't mean nothin' by it. He's just a little slow's all.
Not true… said in a friendly tone. :D Resonably priced grinder, French Press $30 >, relatively fresh Colombian coffee beans, bingo!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I learned that a manual grinder is not the way to go u less you don’t mind spending 5 minutes grinding, at least it felt that long. I have an electric

Hahaha, yeah, we have one, it's a nice one too, but it's sort of a "travel grinder", and even then when I do take coffee, I just pregrind it (funny enough, we've stopped taking coffee, we just take good creamer/sweet or flavored cream, in our cooler, it resolves "room coffee" adequately ... :D)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The worst way to make coffee (yes, even worse than cinnamon-bun-flavored Keurig pods):

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The worst way to make coffee (yes, even worse than cinnamon-bun-flavored Keurig pods):

Wow! I can't believe that startup's gearheads didn't abandon the idea once they added up all the energy inputs. They must have cousins pitching how close we are to having tech good enough "real soon now" to switch over to (and store and transmit) vast commercial supplies of green hydrogen from nothing but solar power.

I'll stick to my French press or pour-overs in the meantime. Yeah, they require some juice but my electrical bill is for less than 300 kwh / month.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Enjoyed a mug of Kenyan coffee with organic hot milk.

To my mind, French Press or pour-over (with dripper and filter paper) are by far the easiest and most forgiving methods with which to make, or prepare, coffee.

Top Bottom
1 2