Communism

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Communism:
  • n.
    A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
  • n.
    A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.

Could communism ever work?
The idea sounds decent, “true equality” in theory, but is it actually possible? I’m not an expert, but when I worked as a USNavy pilot in intelligence it seemed to me that there were no examples in the world of an honest, healthy communist country. Communism seems to invite authoritarianis, when practiced by humans.

I stand by my original thread title- Russia, a Failed Communist Country. True it is not technically a communist today, but it was Communist country for 70 years and during that time as a communist country, the masses suffered through a continuously terrible economy while a few elite enjoyed the high life. While in the USNavy on occasion I listened to briefings on life in the USSR, including a guy who defected from the USSR. Do you remember when Gorbachev toured a grocery store in the US and could not believe it was real, thought it was a setup? That was corrupt Russia, and although Russia was transformed when the USSR took over, it is still a corrupt country that got it’s modRen post monarchy start with Communism.

Today there are 4 communist countries still in existence. I’ll say the majority of those are not economic power houses, and I don’t know how they fair with democracy and civil rights.

China seems to be an exception. It is different. It is communist, yet it’s msking more money than it almost know what to do with. Of note, this success was the result of Western Corporations gifting a vast amount of manufacturing ability to China for corporate profits In the West arguable at the expense of the Western working class.

How is it in China regarding Civil Rights? I assume that China is not a true democracy. That the communist party if it lost favor with the masses would not go away quietly. Thoughts?

Top Bottom