Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
How are you getting HBO for $4.50/month? I recently signed up for their deal and think I’m paying $10 per month,
They had a promo, half price “forever” (until I cancel or they use a loophole). Current monthly subscription is 89 SEK/month so I get 44.50 SEK/month.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There's some decent deals where a service stacks on another, and quite a few promos through CC companies, Cap One, AMEX, etc. We got HBOMax, the higher tier/no-ads/premier movie plan at the lower tier pricing (actually a touch cheaper) through AMEX.

I'm planning on bumping up my Verizon plan to the next tier, it's $10 more, but you get the Hulu/D+ bundle, it's the ad version of Hulu, but you can buy it up to the no-ad flavor for $6/month (FWIW, the V plan also includes Apple Arcade, Oregon Trail, here we come :D)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Just signed up for the new CNN+ streaming platform --- there's a limited time (thru Apr 26) offer of 50% off "for life" so currently 2.99/mo.

It's kind of a PITA to have a little bill come through monthly instead of annually, but hey, for half off the 5.99 regular price I don't mind another line on my statement every month. There are films and original series offerings besides special format news related shows and interviews. Sounds interesting.

Offer comes with a cancel any time option 🤩so if it doesn't feel like it's worth 10 cents a day, can always ditch it and then cry fake tears realizing a re-do will double the price... 🤪

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just signed up for the new CNN+ streaming platform --- there's a limited time (thru Apr 26) offer of 50% off "for life" so currently 2.99/mo.

It's kind of a PITA to have a little bill come through monthly instead of annually, but hey, for half off the 5.99 regular price I don't mind another line on my statement every month. There are films and original series offerings besides special format news related shows and interviews. Sounds interesting.

Offer comes with a cancel any time option 🤩so if it doesn't feel like it's worth 10 cents a day, can always ditch it and then cry fake tears realizing a re-do will double the price... 🤪
i just subscribed through iTunes and will try it out for free for a week. I prefer iTunes billing so I can cancel anything from one location.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Based in that new Elizabeth Moss series I posted about ("What's on TV ...") and I really want to watch Severance, I think we're going to start sub-ing to AppleTV+ next month.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
i just subscribed through iTunes and will try it out for free for a week. I prefer iTunes billing so I can cancel anything from one location.

I also prefer that method because then all my streaming subscriptions are on one page in settings and when the next charge will happen. Makes it easy for "at a glance" canceling.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like CNN+ doesn’t integrate at all into the Apple TV app. Based on my experience with other apps that don’t do that, I probably won’t end up watching it very much. The “up next” queue is where I generally start.

lizkat

Reaction score
Looks like CNN+ doesn’t integrate at all into the Apple TV app. Based on my experience with other apps that don’t do that, I probably won’t end up watching it very much. The “up next” queue is where I generally start.

To each his own! (but maybe they'll change that and allow integration to Apple TV in future, no?)

Anyway I don't have a TV or any kind of stable platform for television news streaming and don't spend much (even enough) time w/ movies or TV shows really. For me the Apple TV+ app remains a sort of afterthought and my revolving set of promotional trials of other streaming options don't ended up integrated into it. But I have tended to keep the CNN app as a standalone sitting right on first homepage of my phone. Now the CNN+ access is built into the center of the bottom of that CNN app's launch page, which is convenience enough for me.

lizkat

Reaction score
I am not understanding this. Their channels are typically plastered across cable carriers.

You mean the rationale for CNN starting a streaming platform, distinct from what they offer on cable?

Because they're late to the whole gig of a streaming platform, that's why. They've been cable TV all the way from the get-go, but their streaming has been via aggregating platforms like YTTV and Hulu etc.

This is a really big deal for them, Warner Media have probably sunk more money into CNN+ than anything since launch of HBO.

Of course when the planning for CNN+ started, the Discovery merger was not yet a twinkle in anyone's eye, so it remains to be seen how this fits into that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean the rationale for CNN starting a streaming platform, distinct from what they offer on cable?

Because they're late to the whole gig of a streaming platform, that's why. They've been cable TV all the way from the get-go, but their streaming has been via aggregating platforms like YTTV and Hulu etc.

This is a really big deal for them, Warner Media have probably sunk more money into CNN+ than anything since launch of HBO.

Of course when the planning for CNN+ started, the Discovery merger was not yet a twinkle in anyone's eye, so it remains to be seen how this fits into that.

As a news junky who signed up for the free trial, I find I haven’t watched CNN+ once. 🤷

lizkat

Reaction score
As a news junky who signed up for the free trial, I find I haven’t watched CNN+ once. 🤷

I liked the Iger interview on the Wallace show. Past that haven't watched any of their offerings in entirety, although have looked in the Five Things or whatever it's called a couple times when too busy outside w/ pre-gardening stuff even to have looked at my newspaper subs. I mean to look in on Reliable Sources and maybe the occasional episode of Jake Tapper's Book Club.

The CNN+ experience in future could prove a little different and more appealing experience for me because of not having any regular access to TV news or talk shows (and not really missing them in general) short of occasional times when I take a month of YTTV or Hulu to catch some particular thing, e.g. Olympics, World Series. Otherwise I see video clips that people post links to sometimes and that's about it. I think the CNN+ might be just about enough video for me. It takes longer to watch stuff than to read transcripts so at my age I prefer the latter.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The PBS streaming service is only $5/month and you get the nightly news with that, along with PBS premium content.

lizkat

Reaction score
The PBS streaming service is only $5/month and you get the nightly news with that, along with PBS premium content.

That's right, I forgot about PBS' Passport too, which I do take as a streaming platform, I think it's $80 a year or something like that. I tend to read the PBS news stuff rather than watch it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guess I’m not alone in not watching this

“Fewer than 10,000 people are using CNN+ on a daily basis two weeks into its existence, sources tell CNBC, casting doubt on the future of the app following the combination of Discovery & WarnerMedia.”

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Guess I’m not alone in not watching this

“Fewer than 10,000 people are using CNN+ on a daily basis two weeks into its existence, sources tell CNBC, casting doubt on the future of the app following the combination of Discovery & WarnerMedia.”
I guess I'm not seeing why anyone would want "more" cable news, regardless of their political leanings they already have 24 hours a day to fill as it is and adding another subscription seems redundant.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess I'm not seeing why anyone would want "more" cable news, regardless of their political leanings they already have 24 hours a day to fill as it is and adding another subscription seems redundant.

Pretty much all I would watch on there is forensic files and reliable sources, but I have no interested in paying $60 a year or more for the privilege.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would never, ever, ever, ever, pay for CNN. Ever.

Me neither, but I’d happily pay my cable provider $5 a month to remove Fox News from my system so there’s no chance I could accidentally tune it in.

Top Bottom
1 2