Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Pretty much all I would watch on there is forensic files and reliable sources, but I have no interested in paying $60 a year or more for the privilege.
One of our favorite shows, we have it set to record all episodes on YTTV and have all seasons now.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guess I’m not alone in not watching this

“Fewer than 10,000 people are using CNN+ on a daily basis two weeks into its existence, sources tell CNBC, casting doubt on the future of the app following the combination of Discovery & WarnerMedia.”

A popular left leaning news podcast I listen to is making fun of the fact CNN+ is one of the advertisers on their podcast and they’ve been making fun of the service since it was announced and continue to bag on it. It’s like running pro CRT ads on Fox News.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A popular left leaning news podcast I listen to is making fun of the fact CNN+ is one of the advertisers on their podcast and they’ve been making fun of the service since it was announced and continue to bag on it. It’s like running pro CRT ads on Fox News.
too popular to name?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I guess I'm not seeing why anyone would want "more" cable news, regardless of their political leanings they already have 24 hours a day to fill as it is and adding another subscription seems redundant.

Not sure that CNN+ is meant to appeal to people who already have cable or watch cable news via some streaming platform like YTTV or Hulu.

I think CNN+ is meant as a placeholder before it's even more "way too late" to try to establish a streaming platform with a brand name attached to it. They sure have plowed a lot of dough into it, so apparently they mean to make a go of it. Maybe now that Warner are detaching from AT&T and hooking up with Discovery, the word "synergy" might not prove as absurd as with some of Warner's previous mergers, like when Time Warner merged with AOL in what Wall Street called the worst corporate merger in US financial history...,

As far as the target audience: with that "half price for life" rate they are probably trying to entice younger people since it's cheap (for now) or for older people like me who haven't had a TV or cable connection since 2004, and might only take a month of YTTV now and then for special events like Olympics or World Series etc. CNN+ is sort of intriguing for me. I like to pop in after the fact of some of their shows on the new platform and half-watch half-listen to them from archives when I have time, like when preparing dinner or in early evening. The Wallace and Stalter shows rate well in my book so far.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow.

I thought I heard somewhere that the CNN networks on cable were struggling with ratings, so having a dedicated streaming service was not the wisest idea.

What’s crazy is it doesn’t even include CNN. I could imagine a world where I am a cable cutter and whatever services i subscribe to don’t include CNN, so maybe I’d pay $5 a month or something for CNN and HLN. But mostly what you get on CNN+ are the equivalent of video podcasts, plus some back catalog shows. No live streaming news, unless i am missing something.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What’s crazy is it doesn’t even include CNN. I could imagine a world where I am a cable cutter and whatever services i subscribe to don’t include CNN, so maybe I’d pay $5 a month or something for CNN and HLN. But mostly what you get on CNN+ are the equivalent of video podcasts, plus some back catalog shows. No live streaming news, unless i am missing something.
I get ESPN+ (to watch Hockey) but it also doesn’t include ESPN. I’m certain it’s because ESPN gets big-time money from the cable companies (it’s a big reason lots of people buy cable TV).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Came here to post about the CCN+ shutdown, but was happy to see a dig at Quibi worked in ...
Thanks, I’ll be here all week.

Unless I’m cancelled like “Jake Tapper’s Book Club.”

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Who's next then, Fox Plus anyone? Surely those in the 75 years and older range are savvy enough to add it to their app lineup.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Who's next then, Fox Plus anyone? Surely those in the 75 years and older range are savvy enough to add it to their app lineup.
That already exists.

Looks like I would be eligible for a free year of service if I wanted it.…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
CCN+ shutdown
Interesting, Normally companies will say how well the service is going - Quibi was doing that right up until the end. I'll give them credit for seeing the writing on the wall and acting decisively.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I heard a story about this on the radio this morning. CNN+ was doomed before it started. When they were purchased by Warner Brothers, the new ownership didn’t want to move forward with the service.

Learning that, it makes sense how little advertising there was for it, and how quickly they shut it down.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I heard a story about this on the radio this morning. CNN+ was doomed before it started. When they were purchased by Warner Brothers, the new ownership didn’t want to move forward with the service.

Learning that, it makes sense how little advertising there was for it, and how quickly they shut it down.
Well, it doesn’t make A LOT of sense. Going ahead with it under those circumstances was a bad idea. Throwing good money after bad never helps. Devaluing the brand by making it the butt of punchlines isn’t good. And pissing off some of the on-air talent may come back to haunt them.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, it doesn’t make A LOT of sense. Going ahead with it under those circumstances was a bad idea. Throwing good money after bad never helps. Devaluing the brand by making it the butt of punchlines isn’t good. And pissing off some of the on-air talent may come back to haunt them.
When it comes to this kind of takeover, I often find that the new owners will do something like this. It’s a good way to establish themselves as the people who are going to fix things.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So who is using the AMC+ app and how is your experience? I was about to pull the trigger but the consensus on the reviews seem to be that it's an awful experience.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
So who is using the AMC+ app and how is your experience? I was about to pull the trigger but the consensus on the reviews seem to be that it's an awful experience.
I am. It sucks from a functionality standpoint. I’ve complained on here recently that only the most recent season of Better Call Saul is on there and no Breaking Bad.

Top Bottom
1 2