Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, some great content - AMC, Shudder, IFC, Sundance, BBCA - with a really poor interface. The hubs aren't all the content, but it's a very good, "curated" selection.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So who is using the AMC+ app and how is your experience? I was about to pull the trigger but the consensus on the reviews seem to be that it's an awful experience.
I use AMC+ in the Apple TV app. That way i can subscribe/cancel using apple’s central interface, and i don’t need to use amc’s own app.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use AMC+ in the Apple TV app. That way i can subscribe/cancel using apple’s central interface, and i don’t need to use amc’s own app.

I subscribe through Apple when possible for the easy subscriptions monitoring and cancellations, but when you start content from within the Apple app doesn't it just launch the provider's app?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I subscribe through Apple when possible for the easy subscriptions monitoring and cancellations, but when you start content from within the Apple app doesn't it just launch the provider's app?
No, not for certain providers. They call it something like “Apple TV Channels.” You have to subscribe from within the Apple TV app, and usually you CANNOT use the provider’s own app.

Paramount+
Showtime
Starz
AMC+
Epix
Cinemax
A&E Crime Central
Acorn TV
allblk
BBC Select
BET+
BFIPlayer Classics
britbox
carnegie hall+
erosnow
the Great Courses
Hallmark Movies Now
History Vault
Lifetime Movie Club
Moonbug Kids
Mubi
noggin
OutTV
Pantaya
PBS Living
ScreenPix
Shudder
Sundance Now
Tastemade
Topic
UP faith & family

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
No, not for certain providers. They call it something like “Apple TV Channels.” You have to subscribe from within the Apple TV app, and usually you CANNOT use the provider’s own app.

Paramount+
Showtime
Starz
AMC+
Epix
Cinemax
A&E Crime Central
Acorn TV
allblk
BBC Select
BET+
BFIPlayer Classics
britbox
carnegie hall+
erosnow
the Great Courses
Hallmark Movies Now
History Vault
Lifetime Movie Club
Moonbug Kids
Mubi
noggin
OutTV
Pantaya
PBS Living
ScreenPix
Shudder
Sundance Now
Tastemade
Topic
UP faith & family

I'll have to give that a try for AMC+. I was unaware there is a difference when you subscribe through the provider's iOS app. Seems kind of wonky and certainly not well known.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So who is using the AMC+ app and how is your experience? I was about to pull the trigger but the consensus on the reviews seem to be that it's an awful experience.

I am. It sucks from a functionality standpoint. I’ve complained on here recently that only the most recent season of Better Call Saul is on there and no Breaking Bad.
The primary advantage appears to be to get access to their library of shows?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The point is - there’s no advantage. You don’t get access to the library. You only get the current season because they sold past seasons to Netflix. The only reason I could think of to get it is if you REALLY want to see the current AMC shows and you don’t have cable.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I mainly want it for the final season of Better Call Saul and recently there seems to be a lot of movies I have saved on Just Watch list that are only available for subscription streaming on AMC+.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The point is - there’s no advantage. You don’t get access to the library. You only get the current season because they sold past seasons to Netflix. The only reason I could think of to get it is if you REALLY want to see the current AMC shows and you don’t have cable.
This is pretty bad. At least on the main streaming services, as far as I know, you have access to their entire library.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I mainly want it for the final season of Better Call Saul and recently there seems to be a lot of movies I have saved on Just Watch list that are only available for subscription streaming on AMC+.

That's pretty much why we did it, BCS, and there's enough interesting movies, and other shows (especially through the "hubs") it makes it worth it, at least till BCS is done. Plus we got some kind of promo, it wasn't much monthly.

Oh yeah, we're going to finish up Walking Dead, we came this far :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I meant to say, there was a service, it might've been AMC, and I found out that there's a difference in the UI if you bought through Amazon (as a "channel") vs. using the standalone app. Then we had a service we got through another service (like the aforementioned Amazon scenario), where you could also authenticate directly into their own app.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Paramount+
Showtime
Starz
AMC+
Epix
Cinemax
A&E Crime Central
Acorn TV
allblk
BBC Select
BET+
BFIPlayer Classics
britbox
carnegie hall+
erosnow
the Great Courses
Hallmark Movies Now
History Vault
Lifetime Movie Club
Moonbug Kids
Mubi
noggin
OutTV
Pantaya
PBS Living
ScreenPix
Shudder
Sundance Now
Tastemade
Topic
UP faith & family

I was navigating through the Apple TV app on my Apple TV yesterday and I couldn't find anything about subscribing to other services through the app. The only integration I've seen is it puts movies/shows I started from supported third party services in a list I can quickly resume watching. :unsure:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was navigating through the Apple TV app on my Apple TV yesterday and I couldn't find anything about subscribing to other services through the app. The only integration I've seen is it puts movies/shows I started from supported third party services in a list I can quickly resume watching. :unsure:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just killed my AMC+ account. They removed episodes of the 6th season of Better Call Saul specifically so people don't binge it in a month and then cancel. Fuck them.

What made it more confusing is I subscribed and viewed through the Apple TV app. I watched the first episode for free and then to watch the next episode it said I had to pay $2.99 just for that episode. That's because it's connecting to the Apple media store on the back end but that isn't obvious. I thought despite having an AMC+ subscription it was asking me to pay another $2.99 (for 1 episode) directly to AMC on top of that.

I probably would have kept my AMC+ account for a while after finishing Better Call Saul, but not with this behavior. Again, fuck them. I'm never subscribing again and if I never see the final season I won't lose sleep over it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just killed my AMC+ account. They removed episodes of the 6th season of Better Call Saul specifically so people don't binge it in a month and then cancel. Fuck them.

What made it more confusing is I subscribed and viewed through the Apple TV app. I watched the first episode for free and then to watch the next episode it said I had to pay $2.99 just for that episode. That's because it's connecting to the Apple media store on the back end but that isn't obvious. I thought despite having an AMC+ subscription it was asking me to pay another $2.99 (for 1 episode) directly to AMC on top of that.

I probably would have kept my AMC+ account for a while after finishing Better Call Saul, but not with this behavior. Again, fuck them. I'm never subscribing again and if I never see the final season I won't lose sleep over it.
I get it, I also nuked my Apple TV+, even at only $4.99 a month there's not nearly enough content to keep me interested, they need to team up with other sources for more material.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I get it, I also nuked my Apple TV+, event at only $4.99 a month there's not nearly enough content to keep me interested, they need to team up with other sources for more material.

I recently subscribed to Apple TV+ again just to watch Prehistoric Planet narrated by David Attenborough. It's just as epic as the rest of his documentary series but with dinosaurs. You completely forget you are watching animals that have long been extinct. Top notch CGI.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

The app is garbage too. I had access to the app when I had AMC on my cable subscription, and it was painful to try and use it.

I will just wait for the 6th season to hit Netflix.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We’re keeping AMC+ for a slow Mad Men rewatch but I can’t think of a reason to keep it when we finish.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just remembered with AMC+ you get a watered down version of Shudder which is already a watered down hub for horror movies. I’m a big horror movie fan and I’ll subscribe for a month a couple times a year if there are a couple movies I want to see on there but the bulk of the library has largely remained the same the entire time. You’d have just as much luck finding horror gems on any other service. I think Hulu spends more money on original horror content.

Top Bottom
1 2