COVID Stupid

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I would like to know what "GOP voters" and "Dem voters" actually means, because, together they make up barely half of Americans overall.

I think they mean both actual members of the party and those who vote that way. If you look at the graph is says Dem/Lean Dem and GOP/Lean GOP.

As far as the two parties are concerned, both can go away for all I care. Why the middle puts up with what the fringes want is a mystery.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
First, I don't recall any pushback or "derisive attitude" against Social Distancing.
Trump held packed campaign rallies, often referred to as superspreader rallies, in total disregard of social distancing. Various analyses have estimated the number of (thousands of) covid cases that resulted.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Trump held packed campaign rallies, often referred to as superspreader rallies, in total disregard of social distancing. Various analyses have estimated the number of (thousands of) covid cases that resulted.
lets not forget trump spread covid himself when he had to to his donors.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Ok, that's fair. But that is a bit different than him saying derisive things about it.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ok, that's fair. But that is a bit different than him saying derisive things about it.
I know he did that about masks. I assumed from his behavior that he also did it about social distancing but can't find anything in a quick search. But really, whether he said it or not, his actions - tightly packed rallies - showed his disregard for it among his supporters. Disregard vs. derision - what's the difference in practice?

So we can grant that the person who incited an attack and made phone calls to block the peaceful transition of power, the stealer of top secret documents and the obstructor of their return, the lifelong grifter, tax and insurance cheat, the spreader of the Big Lie that has caused such disruption in the nation and the author of recent deranged, threatening social media posts did not say derisive things about social distancing.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

Why America was uniquely vulnerable to COVID​

• But this study offers a more nuanced view of how the combination of factors made certain states more vulnerable than others. For example, the analysis found no association between the political affiliation of the state governor and death rates. But one key predictor of infections and total COVID deaths was the share of people that voted for President Trump in the 2020 presidential election.

This sounds more like a political commentary than actual scientific analysis. If you look at the vaccine adoption rates among the highest risk age group (age 60+), there’s something like 96% vaccination.

I would think the more significant factor is the underlying health of the public and their access to quality healthcare. Many red states are not exactly known for their overwhelming rates of excellent personal health or healthcare quality.

Attributing COVID outcomes to who someone voted for is not particularly useful in my opinion other than trying to add fuel to the partisan dumpster fire. Who they voted for has zero clinical significance. What the data does clearly show is that poorer people with poorer underlying health and poor quality healthcare resources in their area had worse outcomes. If there is to be a political point, perhaps it should be around providing better access to quality healthcare and having sufficient quality healthcare resources to begin with. It’s no mystery red states generally speaking are less motivated to fund the aforementioned. And these issues are much more of a state issue than they are a federal issue when talking about individual comparisons.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

This guy was chosen to be Florida's Surgeon General for purely political reasons. He claimed COVID experience he never had, supported hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID, and was aligned with America's Frontline Doctors Quacks.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Neil Young tells Spotify that they can carry his music or Joe Rogan's Covid bullshit, but not both. Spotify makes the wrong choice.

I never used Spotify before and certainly will not now.

Guess the money was more important than his beliefs.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Speculation there. He kept it off for a long time, starting when Covid was more dangerous. Keeping the music off all services with that dimwit's podcast seems like diminishing returns. He's a pretty rich dude as it is, but I don't know his spending habits.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Speculation there. He kept it off for a long time, starting when Covid was more dangerous. Keeping the music off all services with that dimwit's podcast seems like diminishing returns. He's a pretty rich dude as it is, but I don't know his spending habits.
I think most are over all of the COVID debate/restrictions at this point but the fact that Joe Rogan is a total douchenozzle will always remain.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

He has a convenient out in this case. Although if he truly wants to follow what he said a few years back, he should drop those other services as well. But as Eric points out, Covid in 2024 is different than Covid in 2022. I see it not so much as backing down as he's re-assessing the situation since it's a different landscape today than it was a couple years back.

So on one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand, I don't blame him. And on the third hand I don't listen to his music, any music services and don't really care.

Celebrities can impress or disappointment me, but they're celebrities at the end of the day and I don't look to them for moral guidance. So.... 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom
1 2