COVID Stupid

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone cares if someone wants to take Ivermectin as it doesn't affect you or your family.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone cares if someone wants to take Ivermectin as it doesn't affect you or your family.

When you have a bunch of people buying up supplies, accusing doctors of killing family members because they didn't give them the latest anti-covid craze of the day, and just being general all around pains in the asses...

...yeah, it effects others.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you have a bunch of people buying up supplies, accusing doctors of killing family members because they didn't give them the latest anti-covid craze of the day, and just being general all around pains in the asses...

plus dying and getting sick from eating hose paste.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Think for a second about the story that was actually posted.

It was the legislature making ivermectin available without a prescription. This is meant to pander to those who think it actually helps against COVID, which it doesn’t. I don’t personally care if somebody wants to take it, but for the legislature of a state to effectively promote a false cure for a disease means they are encouraging people to take an ineffective medicine.The end result could be the death of those who choose this over an actually effective treatment. If Tennessee’s Republican legislators are ok with killing a few people in order to score some political points, then they are inhuman reprobates.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

This law kind of makes that point moot. No Doctor required, so no Doctor to blame. Plus I don't think enough people will buy it to affect supplies.

Think for a second about the story that was actually posted.

It was the legislature making ivermectin available without a prescription. This is meant to pander to those who think it actually helps against COVID, which it doesn’t. I don’t personally care if somebody wants to take it, but for the legislature of a state to effectively promote a false cure for a disease means they are encouraging people to take an ineffective medicine.The end result could be the death of those who choose this over an actually effective treatment. If Tennessee’s Republican legislators are ok with killing a few people in order to score some political points, then they are inhuman reprobates.

At least they won't die from taking the horse version. ;)

I think if someone is hell bent on taking Ivermectin, they are going to do it one way or another. This is the COVID equivalent of a needle exchange. At least give them a safe way to do it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
A question for you. Do you think society should rely on politicians or medical professionals to decide which medications are safe to make available to the general public?

Medical professionals for sure.

But at the same time, if a licensed Dr. prescribes it, where is the problem?

And medical professionals will tell you not to inject heroin or fentenyl into your veins, but politicians provide free needles so that people can do just that. They justify it by saying it causes lesser harm. Same as the TN bill. People are going to either buy the legit stuff at a pharmacy or buy the horse version. Which is better?

And the bill does not force any pharmacy to stock it or dispense it. And I figure the major chains won't, so this is probably not the big deal it is being made out to be.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Tennessee legislature removed doctors from the picture by allowing it to be sold over the counter. That is literally the entire discussion here.

🤦‍♂️

Also, free needles don’t come with free heroin. You know that, right? It’s one thing to hand out clean needles to protect addicts from passing deadly diseases around. It’s a different story entirely to provide them with the drug that is killing them.

The argument isn’t apples-to-apples. If politicians made heroin an over-the-counter drug, then you’d have an equivalent argument. Instead you’ve got zilch.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I will admit that I didn't realize state politicians made those (OTC vs scrip) decisions. I really thought it was the FDA.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

Good!

A doctor prescribing it vs it being freely available? I'd say at least you have someone with more knowledge of medicine than the average citizen prescribing it. They're more likely to be aware of potential harmful side-effects that might apply to each individual patient differently. They're more likely to know if there are drug interactions a patient should be aware of. And a decent pharmacist will likely double check those things as well. If you're able to walk into Walgreen's, grab a bag of Cheetos, a Coke and a tube of Ivermectin, a lot of those guardrails are completely gone.

To be fair, I'm not a medical professional. And I've seen some dumb things. Like I can't get a new sleep apnea mask because my prescription is expired. A prescription for a mask? What the hell? Have people overpaid for too many masks in the past and it caused some other ailment? It makes no sense and now I need to go get a new prescription so I can pay way too much for a mask. I honestly don't know how safe Ivermectin is and never cared enough to investigate. Still, for the most part, I'd support more rather than less restrictions. If medical professionals think it should require a prescription, that's good enough for me. Even when that includes stupid things like a mask.

And medical professionals will tell you not to inject heroin or fentenyl into your veins, but politicians provide free needles so that people can do just that. They justify it by saying it causes lesser harm. Same as the TN bill. People are going to either buy the legit stuff at a pharmacy or buy the horse version. Which is better?

I suspect, but don't know off the top of my head, that the average medical professional probably supports those programs. That's different than lawmakers going against doctors advice with Ivermectin.

And the bill does not force any pharmacy to stock it or dispense it. And I figure the major chains won't, so this is probably not the big deal it is being made out to be.

I agree with you. I also think it's probably a little late to the game. People don't even wear masks now. By the time you can legally go buy Ivermectin, I suspect the demand will be quite low. Unless there's a new variant that sweeps the nation.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Any healthcare provider who prescribes Ivermectin for COVID should be penalized. Its lack of efficacy is no longer a subject of debate, so anyone who prescribes Ivermectin is committing malpractice. The only saving grace is that the grifter physicians who sell it will be less likely to profit if it's available OTC.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We went to our first indoor concert last night. Bob Dylan. Both my husband and I went in with our masks on and kept them on throughout the concert. It was a sold-out show…I saw one other person wearing a mask.

We're headed back up to NYC, masks required for shows. No problem for me, or Wife, or 14 year Daughter, since, you know, we're not snowflakes.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I saw recently where some shows have had to temporarily close again due to cast and crew infections..... Don't recall which ones, though.

Yeah, quite a few, some substitutions here and there, we're good, so far, heck, tomorrow this time we'll be done with our first show :D

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, quite a few, some substitutions here and there, we're good, so far, heck, tomorrow this time we'll be done with our first show :D
Which reminds me, my son wants a full report on the trip between SA and NY. He’s unwilling to fly on an unknown airline without a really good recommendation.

Top Bottom
1 2