COVID Stupid

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
U

User.45

What's interesting is that being Black after correction for socioeconomic and other risk factor stuff was shown to be associated with lower COVID mortality....but only after the adjustment, of course.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Now we no what it feels like to be a Republican responding to a poor child in need of a school lunch.
Welll...

Bit of a stretch to compare an Anti Vaxxer to a poor child, since the Anti Vaxxer made a choice to put themselves in that position.

I get the lack of sympathy part, but some 'r's have made cruelty a part of their way of doing things. The lack of sympathy for Anti Vaxxers is of their own doing, due to belligerence, denial, and thriving on spite. None of those things a poor child in need of a school lunch has seemingly done. At some point karmically those who've shown the least amount of sympathy, may find it turned upon themselves.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438549213852278791/

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Seriously, DeSantis?

“We've been handed a major curveball here, with a really huge cut from HHS and the Biden administration,” DeSantis said at a press conference in Broward County. “We're going to make sure we leave no stone unturned. Whoever needs a treatment, we're going to work like hell to get them the treatment.”

He added that Florida is being punished for peddling the Covid-19 antibody treatment before the White House while the highly transmissible Delta variant began spreading in Southern states like Florida, Texas or Louisiana.

“I think we could have averted, in this country, a lot of people going to the hospital,” DeSantis said. “I think it would have saved a lot of lives.”

Say what? Your state and 6 other southern states with abysmal records on vaccination were combining to take up 70% of the nation’s supply of monoclonal antibodies. Now that Biden is trying to redistribute some of that medicine to other states, you suddenly give a 💩 about your constituents’ well-being? Yeah, if only somebody could have thought of a way to save a lot of lives…..

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
What's interesting is that being Black after correction for socioeconomic and other risk factor stuff was shown to be associated with lower COVID mortality....but only after the adjustment, of course.

I may be in a bubble living in the Bay Area, but I really don’t understand the issue with the poor not getting vaccinated. They are being given for free at places like Walgreens which are quite common even in poor or lower population areas. Even if you subtract people who live on a farm in bumfuck that still leaves a lot of people with access that aren’t getting vaccinated.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I may be in a bubble living in the Bay Area, but I really don’t understand the issue with the poor not getting vaccinated. They are being given for free at places like Walgreens which are quite common even in poor or lower population areas. Even if you subtract people who live on a farm in bumfuck that still leaves a lot of people with access that aren’t getting vaccinated.
Someone somewhere mentioned they couldn’t afford to risk having to take an unpaid day off work due to reactions to the shot, if they were to get those flu-like symptoms for a day after. Didn‘t dig deeper.

U

User.45

Lack of Walgreens and a car. I don't think it's an excuse but it is definitely a major factor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lack of Walgreens and a car. I don't think it's an excuse but it is definitely a major factor.

Do they also farm all their own food? I can’t imagine this being more difficult than going to the grocery store.

I understand there are people who are home bound because of health or age reasons, but I don’t think that explains the large number of unvaccinated people. Are their any statistics that show the difference between dead mining town poor and city poor neighborhood poor?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Do they also farm all their own food? I can’t imagine this being more difficult than going to the grocery store.

I understand there are people who are home bound because of health or age reasons, but I don’t think that explains the large number of unvaccinated people. Are their any statistics that show the difference between dead mining town poor and city poor neighborhood poor?
I know in the earlier days, getting a vaccine at Walgreens was like trying to get a PS5, Xbox, or a new box of Pokemon cards. Things seemed to be setup so that the urban Walgreens were flooded with who ( teachers, workers, etc ) the city or state wanted vaccinated, so it became a well known tactic to look for Walgreens in suburban more well off areas to make an appointment. So urban Walgreens seemed to get more traffic than other areas. I learned that if you went on their app or site on Sunday when they didn't want you to, you could find openings for the next 2 weeks, and make your appt then. The poor pharmacist at my local Walgreens is so overwhelmed and they doubled the staff. Just trying to get prescriptions you got before the pandemic has become a zoo that adds 20 minutes because of all the increased traffic they face. The literally split their counter space to Vaccines / Pick ups, because of their increased volume.

Which I of course found interesting that supposedly the original supposed most vaccine hesitant community had the greater obstacles to getting a vaccine over the areas that were supposed to be the least vaccine hesistant.

In the end though, I highly recommend if one can & has a vehicle using the local hospital system. To get my mother's vaccines was as simple as asking for one, driving up, leaving 15 minutes later. Of course that means having a car, and internet access. What I really commend is that the city has started mobile vaccine clinics that are in small mall parking lots that anyone can walk up to. Problem? To know where that mobile vaccine clinic will be, you need to check online, or go thru some hoops on the phone.

U

User.45

Seriously, DeSantis?

Say what? Your state and 6 other southern states with abysmal records on vaccination were combining to take up 70% of the nation’s supply of monoclonal antibodies. Now that Biden is trying to redistribute some of that medicine to other states, you suddenly give a 💩 about your constituents’ well-being? Yeah, if only somebody could have thought of a way to save a lot of lives…..
I just looked at the FDA data on regeneron. Regeneron's better than I expected, with a ~70% risk reduction for hospitalization and death for those at high risk. So it cuts your risk to its third. Costs, $1300 a pop (Reuters reads $2100 but I'll be conservative here). Vaccine is how much? $35?

So let's make some projections for 100M. W/o vaccine you get roughly 200,000 hospitalizations (roughly real life data). Per medicaid, the average COVID hospitalization costs $20K (suspiciosly low but that's what other analyses used). So that's $4B in hospitalization costs.

Let's assume that every 33rd person gets hospitalized (see placebo data in the regeneron study). So let's say you'll treat every high-risk exposure (let's assume that all hospitalizations are high risk).

So in a regeneron scenario, you treat roughly 6.6M people and prevent about 140,000 hospitalizations. A dose is somewhere between $1.3 and $2.3K. If I use the lower number, that is $8.5B in regeneron treatments on this scale to save 3.2B. So you'll have a net cost of $5.3B and you'll have 60,000 hospitalizations/deaths.

Now let's count that for the vaccine:
You fully vaccinate 100M people for $7B with Moderna ($35 per shot) or $4B with Pfizer ($20 per shot), you'll prevent 180,000 hospitalizations, saving $3.6B on hospital costs. Your net cost is $1.9B (for mix of the vaccines, range if pfizer or moderna is used only $0.4-3.4B), and you'll have 20,000 hospitalizations/deaths.

So even if I use prices that are best-case scenario for Regeneron, the shot itself yields 3x better outcomes for 2x cheaper.

#fiscalresponsibility

1631882389712.png

U

User.45

If I add masks and use the very conservative 12% risk reduction number then it's 24,000 hospitalizations spared in the same thought experiment. So it all boils down to how much money people spend annually on masks. If I say people spend $5/yr on masks, it's $0.5B investment saving roughly $0.5B. So it is costs net $0. If people spend $30 on masks then it's a net $2.5B cost.

So if I compare the cost-efficiency of these three interventions to prevent a single hospitalization, we'd get roughly:
1. Regeneron ~$22,900
2. Vaccine ~$11,110
3. Masks ??? ($0 if we count with a $5 spending but $100,000 if you count with $30)

Top Bottom
1 2