Crashed external HDD with all my photos

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Turns out 5TB didn't last as long as I had hoped and considering I only have two bays in the NAS I'm opting to get another 12TB external drive as a one-off, especially considering that I'm wading into video work. This way I don't have to mess around with the existing setup.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Amazon delivery driver trashed my new drive, it slammed against the door but he was gone so fast I couldn't catch him. Here but here's the video (volume up for full effect as it slams hard against our door)
https://video.nest.com/clip/d5f326cc6c23448883119f77dac3bae3.mp4

And here he was from a different angle.
https://video.nest.com/clip/9aec9ed1d1b84b2aa1a23160bec3fbd6.mp4

The box is damaged on the outside and considering it's a spinning disk drive they're prone to breaking when getting thrown around, and it's rattling around in there. I get they sometimes throw things but the was overly aggressive with sensitive electronics. I think I'm just going to return it for a replacement unopened.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Amazon delivery driver trashed my new drive, it slammed against the door but he was gone so fast I couldn't catch him. Here but here's the video (volume up for full effect as it slams hard against our door)
https://video.nest.com/clip/d5f326cc6c23448883119f77dac3bae3.mp4

And here he was from a different angle.
https://video.nest.com/clip/9aec9ed1d1b84b2aa1a23160bec3fbd6.mp4

The box is damaged on the outside and considering it's a spinning disk drive they're prone to breaking when getting thrown around, and it's rattling around in there. I get they sometimes throw things but the was overly aggressive with sensitive electronics. I think I'm just going to return it for a replacement unopened.
I’d do the same. Even though the driver may not have been aware of the contents, they should have exercised reasonable care. Many years ago, a delivery person tossed a laser disc player (remember those?) over a fence. The box was damaged, but I foolishly didn’t return it immediately because I wanted it so badly. The player didn’t work properly and I had to send it for repair a month or so later.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I get they sometimes throw things but the was overly aggressive with sensitive electronics. I think I'm just going to return it for a replacement unopened.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Returning unopened sounds good.

Going forward, you might want to consider using Amazon's locker service.

I've been using that for the last 10 years having my packages delivered to an Amazon locker at the local grocery store or Rite Aid, and it works great. I've never had a problem with that option. I also don't have to worry about porch pirates when we're not home. Some extra-large items can't be delivered to a locker, but those are relatively rare.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
We've also started having our Amazon packages delivered to our local Whole Foods, which is just a couple of blocks away. Our problem wasn't poorly handled deliveries to our house, but that many of the drivers insisted on driving up the driveway and then attempting to turn around, rather than just parking on the street. We have a rather narrow driveway, and although there is a parking space up front where you can turn around, 98% of the people who attempt to do so end up driving through the grass. I once filed a complaint to Amazon and got a $300 check because they tore up so much grass, and it's compounded by the fact that we have sprinkler heads along the driveway, so invariably we replace 1-2 a season from people running over them because they just can't drive in a straight line on the driveway. I shop at Whole Food enough anyway that it's no big deal to run down there, or it's on the way home from picking up my son or running other errands that it's not a big deal.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We've also started having our Amazon packages delivered to our local Whole Foods, which is just a couple of blocks away. Our problem wasn't poorly handled deliveries to our house, but that many of the drivers insisted on driving up the driveway and then attempting to turn around, rather than just parking on the street. We have a rather narrow driveway, and although there is a parking space up front where you can turn around, 98% of the people who attempt to do so end up driving through the grass. I once filed a complaint to Amazon and got a $300 check because they tore up so much grass, and it's compounded by the fact that we have sprinkler heads along the driveway, so invariably we replace 1-2 a season from people running over them because they just can't drive in a straight line on the driveway. I shop at Whole Food enough anyway that it's no big deal to run down there, or it's on the way home from picking up my son or running other errands that it's not a big deal.
Took your advice here and am having the replacement sent to our local Whole Foods here in hopes that the driver won't carelessly chuck it. I know I can't see what happens throughout the deliver but it at least takes the local gig worker out of the equation, I think regular drivers are more cautious.

Top Bottom
1 2