Creepy crawly pets

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, I’m sold. That video is adorable! Reminded me of a bodybuilder with really skinny arms.

Can they hurt you when they grab?

😃 No, completely harmless. They just look like something out of a scifi movie or what the right thinks progressives look like.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Until the hand went in there, I would have sworn it was some kind of CGA!

I've had many mantids and haven't had them display their threat posture like that. I think you have to really startle them or move aggressively. I'm convinced that you can domesticate them pretty easily to the point that they don't do that just because a big lumbering human is approaching. I've even heard you can train them to know when it's dinner time and they'll come grab the prey from your hand.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as creepy crawly or not, but he really caught my eye this morning.

83540D0C-9B44-41B6-9C1B-4EE92643AE66.jpeg
FBE97B8E-4809-435B-A18F-ED1C0DA01DE2.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Your hurricane season aftermath public service announcement:

Not all that funny, and surely being passed around in science classes of any home-schooled mosquitoes on the Gulf Coast of the USA today, as Hurricane Sally inches through the area with record-setting rainfall and floods and the weather still plenty warm for plenty bug hatches. Pro tip: it's not just your ankles that mosquitoes snack on, so dig out that bug spray to cart around with ya. It's been estimated that 5% or more of humankind's death rate over our entire history has been caused by diseases vectored by mosquitoes.​

mosquito food pyramid.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not all that funny, and surely being passed around in science classes of any home-schooled mosquitoes on the Gulf Coast of the USA today, as Hurricane Sally inches through the area with record-setting rainfall and floods and the weather still plenty warm for plenty bug hatches. Pro tip: it's not just your ankles that mosquitoes snack on, so dig out that bug spray to cart around with ya. It's been estimated that 5% or more of humankind's death rate over our entire history has been caused by diseases vectored by mosquitoes.

Lucky for me, my former sergeant works for the health department in vector (mosquito) control. He will bring the spray truck right up my driveway and give us a good shot once the roads are clear.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use this app to ID insects. You just take a picture or point it to a picture you already took and it gives you its best guess ID. It’s been pretty accurate for me. In some cases it gives you runner up options you can change it too.

I have one for plants (PlantSnap), but it’s not that accurate. I imagine plants are more difficult to ID.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I find spiders and lizards in the house, I do my best to save them, depositing them outside. Roaches, ants= no mercy. :)

I think I've mentioned on here, maybe even in this thread, tha I'll even save a roach, but also I have yet to have a roach infestation problem (knock on wood) anywhere I've lived. I believe they are close relatives of the praying mantis.

Top Bottom
1 2