Cryptominers in antivirus software

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Norton Commander aside, I’ve always considered Norton products to be malware. Seems like nothing has changed.
I remember the good ol’ days of Norton Utilities on my Mac SE. They’ve lost a lot of credibility over the years.

iu

sgtaylor5

Power User
Reaction score
I can think of no greater joy at work than when I can uninstall Norton or McAfee from a client's computer. That one act alone will give them 10 to 15 percent better performance. If I get them to purchase and install Malwarebytes Premium, that's a plus.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
What an incredibly dumb thing to bundle with an antivirus. Does any 'antivirus' softare even do anything useful these days on any modern OS, even Windows?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
What an incredibly dumb thing to bundle with an antivirus. Does any 'antivirus' softare even do anything useful these days on any modern OS, even Windows?

Nothing that isn't already handled better and with less overhead by the OS' built in defenses.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score

So you turn this on, think you're making money but actually you are losing money because of electrical usage and wear-and-tear on your devices, but Norton gets to use your electricity to make a little money.

Nice.
If their pool fee wasn’t abnormally large this actually wouldn’t be a bad deal, as far as easy to set up miners would be concerned.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2