Cuomo is being investigated for Underreported NH Deaths (inadequate media coverage)

U

User.45

So I'm reading the prelim report from the NY State Office of the Attorney General, and getting kinda annoyed....

So first:Total Deaths Reported to OAG (incl. residents sent to hospitals) vs. Publicized by DOH
Facility Deaths Reported to OAG Total Deaths Publicized by DOH Difference
Over/Under Percentage
-55.74%

The examples below illustrate that discrepancies remain even when the data reported to OAG is compared to data published by DOH as of later time periods through August 3:
» A facility reported 11 confirmed COVID-19 deaths at the facility, one suspected COVID-19 death at the facility, and four hospital deaths to DOH as of May 2020, and reported the same data to OAG. However, DOH published only one confirmed COVID-19 death at the facility until July 31, when its publication reflected eleven confirmed in-facility deaths -- a discrepancy of five deaths from what was reported to DOH by the facility.
  • » A facility reported one confirmed and six presumed COVID-19 deaths at the facility as of August 3 to DOH. However, the facility reported to OAG a total of 31 COVID-19 suspected deaths at the facility as of April 18 – a discrepancy of 25 deaths.
  • » A facility reported five confirmed and six presumed COVID-19 deaths at the facility as of August 3 to DOH. However, the facility reported to OAG a total of 27 COVID-19 deaths at the facility
    and 13 hospital deaths – a discrepancy of 29 deaths.
    Applying the data that these 62 nursing homes reported to OAG, which includes resident deaths occurring in the facility and in the hospital after transfer, shows a significantly higher number of resident COVID-19 deaths can be identified than is reflected in the deaths publicized by DOH.

OAG is investigating those circumstances where the discrepancies cannot reasonably be accounted for by error or the difference in the question posed.
In conclusion, this preliminary data for the 62 facilities and time periods noted above suggests that COVID-19 resident deaths associated with nursing homes in New York state appear to be undercounted by DOH
by approximately 50 percent. *

Footnote:
*At the same time, to the extent that the discrepancy results from the omission in DOH published data of resident deaths that occurred in hospitals, the under-counting of nursing home resident COVID-19 deaths does not reflect under-counting of total NYS COVID-19 deaths.

At the same time the report shows, that
1. CMS Staffing score was a prime predictor of NH mortality
2. For profit NHs nickel and dimed (like they do) and provided inadequate equipment
3. Testing was an issue which early on was a federal responsibility.
4. PPE shortage was a problem ( duh)
5. Lot's of the nursing homes had no COVID-19 isolation protocols and didn't adhere to CMS guidelines
6. Cuomo's nursing home orders were consistent with CDC recommendations, and did not force nursing homes to take patients they couldn't take care of safely.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cuomo should have gone with "we're doing the best we can with the information we have at the time" which I really wish a lot more politicians would go with and very few people would fault them. Instead they usually go with trying to come off as the most knowledgeable person in the room and then blaming other factors/people for their failures of not being the most knowledgable person in the room.

U

User.45

Cuomo should have gone with "we're doing the best we can with the information we have at the time" which I really wish a lot more politicians would go with and very few people would fault them. Instead they usually go with trying to come off as the most knowledgeable person in the room and then blaming other factors/people for their failures of not being the most knowledgable person in the room.
What can I say. I've always preferred humble people, but that's cultural, plus in a climate with Trumpism it may not be a winning strategy. That said there was definitely a fuck up with the reporting. What's unclear to me is who fucked up and the investigation doesn't clarify that either...There's some hint in the report that some for-profit facilities did so poorly, their interest may have been underreporting. But Cuomo's interest could have been that too.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
So I'm reading the prelim report from the NY State Office of the Attorney General, and getting kinda annoyed....

So first:Total Deaths Reported to OAG (incl. residents sent to hospitals) vs. Publicized by DOH

At the same time the report shows, that
1. CMS Staffing score was a prime predictor of NH mortality
2. For profit NHs nickel and dimed (like they do) and provided inadequate equipment
3. Testing was an issue which early on was a federal responsibility.
4. PPE shortage was a problem ( duh)
5. Lot's of the nursing homes had no COVID-19 isolation protocols and didn't adhere to CMS guidelines
6. Cuomo's nursing home orders were consistent with CDC recommendations, and did not force nursing homes to take patients they couldn't take care of safely.
Cuomo is a liar and his team just piles on with more lies. When the top two Pols in NYS were charged and tried for corruption, I was eagerly waiting for charges against Cuomo to complete the trifecta. Hope his days are numbered. Knowing his arrogant ass, he'll go down in flames rather than exit the political stage.

U

User.45

Cuomo is a liar and his team just piles on with more lies. When the top two Pols in NYS were charged and tried for corruption, I was eagerly waiting for charges against Cuomo to complete the trifecta. Hope his days are numbered. Knowing his arrogant ass, he'll go down in flames rather than exit the political stage.
I don't know much about NY's politics (don't care much), but the attacks on him for the mandate for nursing home (re)admissions were unreasonable and clearly politically driven. So while the OAG's report corroborates fuckery with the way they stratified the NH mortality data, 95% of this report actually clears him of the shit he's been attacked for. And even with the corrected NH mortality numbers, NY state is about the 26th worst in this measure.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about NY's politics (don't care much), but the attacks on him for the mandate for nursing home (re)admissions were unreasonable and clearly politically driven. So while the OAG's report corroborates fuckery with the way they stratified the NH mortality data, 95% of this report actually clears him of the shit he's been attacked for. And even with the corrected NH mortality numbers, NY state is about the 26th worst in this measure.
Progressives were able to stave off biz immunity proposed by McConnell et al in Federal COVID-19 relief packages. They were applauded and told to stay vigilant. Cuomo gave NHs immunity and coupled that with poor oversight. It helped that the NH/Med lobby showered him with donations. To the tune of more than $1 million. And his dismal Med funding and dalliance with GOP+"Fusion Dems" hurt during the outbreaks initial stages. That's why he's being assailed from the right and left. He deserves all the criticisms and I hope he's done in this state.

U

User.45

Cuomo gave NHs immunity and coupled that with poor oversight. It helped that the NH/Med lobby showered him with donations. To the tune of more than $1 million. And his dismal Med funding and dalliance with GOP+"Fusion Dems" hurt during the outbreaks initial stages. That's why he's being assailed from the right and left. He deserves all the criticisms and I hope he's done in this state.
You know that immunity was granted to the entire healthcare sector for that period, right? This allowed us to go virtual in a matter of a week or two (something we've had such irrational resistance against in the past) and not have to worry about a bunch of things like licensing if we provide care to patients connecting to us from states where we don't have licenses in.

The OAG report does show that there is a systemic nursing home issue in NY, but again if you look at the report. Some of your points may be valid, as for-profit nursing homes seemed to do abysmally. However, the fact that CMS staffing ratings predicted in-home mortality rates suggest this is an issue that existed before COVID. So I'll ask you, just like I ask others, what would be your proposed solution to ensure disposition of patients who completed their acute care hospitalization? (I'm really curious, because I haven't heard a feasible response to date).

I've personally wasted months of my life trying to find a rehab/NH for patients on the inpatient unit and on average we waste about 2 days on such even at peace times. If you cannot get patients out of the hospital, they'll start piling up and dying in the ER, and not just the elderly and not just COVID patients.

*And this is a where NYC is in a special situation due to the population density and NY's hospitals are stretched thin even w/o COVID.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
You know that immunity was granted to the entire healthcare sector for that period, right? This allowed us to go virtual in a matter of a week or two (something we've had such irrational resistance against in the past) and not have to worry about a bunch of things like licensing if we provide care to patients connecting to us from states where we don't have licenses in.

The OAG report does show that there is a systemic nursing home issue in NY, but again if you look at the report. Some of your points may be valid, as for-profit nursing homes seemed to do abysmally. However, the fact that CMS staffing ratings predicted in-home mortality rates suggest this is an issue that existed before COVID. So I'll ask you, just like I ask others, what would be your proposed solution to ensure disposition of patients who completed their acute care hospitalization? (I'm really curious, because I haven't heard a feasible response to date).

I've personally wasted months of my life trying to find a rehab/NH for patients on the inpatient unit and on average we waste about 2 days on such even at peace times. If you cannot get patients out of the hospital, they'll start piling up and dying in the ER, and not just the elderly and not just COVID patients.

*And this is a where NYC is in a special situation due to the population density and NY's hospitals are stretched thin even w/o COVID.
Offering a prescription now would be the very definition of closing the barn doors with all the horses out of view. At the time Cuomo criticized the Administration for a piss-poor response. NYS & NYC were just as flatfooted and inept. His order mandating residents back to NHs without testing was short-sighted at best, or corrupt due to all those donations. And to top it all off, he was almost as bad at Mango with his self-praise. Writing a book about his fantastic response is just shameful. (And how long will it take to see the financial details about that? Seems just as bad as releasing tax returns after an IRS audit someone else promised) His harsh budget cuts and personal feud with Mayor De Blasio also didn't help with the fight against COVD-19.

With charges, trials and convictions for 2 out of the top 3 offices in NYS -- and Cuomo's right-hand fixer convicted -- this brouhaha is hopefully just the beginning of his troubles. I'm sure AG Tish James is following the money.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Offering a prescription now would be the very definition of closing the barn doors with all the horses out of view. At the time Cuomo criticized the Administration for a piss-poor response. NYS & NYC were just as flatfooted and inept. His order mandating residents back to NHs without testing was short-sighted at best, or corrupt due to all those donations. And to top it all off, he was almost as bad at Mango with his self-praise. Writing a book about his fantastic response is just shameful. (And how long will it take to see the financial details about that? Seems just as bad as releasing tax returns after an IRS audit someone else promised) His harsh budget cuts and personal feud with Mayor De Blasio also didn't help with the fight against COVD-19.

With charges, trials and convictions for 2 out of the top 3 offices in NYS -- and Cuomo's right-hand fixer convicted -- this brouhaha is hopefully just the beginning of his troubles. I'm sure AG Tish James is following the money.

Have to say that living in CA I'm not really knowledgeable about everything that went down in NY, but because Trump was such a moron he made everybody else (not towing his line) look like an expert completely on top of the situation.

U

User.45

Again, I'm not familiar with NY State politics, so I'm strictly commenting on the NH policy and the medical stuff. The OAG report essentially exonerates him in these regards, and is in line with my previous understanding of the situation...It's a good read if you find my bulletpointed summary insufficient. I think we all have a reason to be upset about the data fuckery, although that is also overstated based on what I see, as it had no impact on anything, just the political discourse.

If you look at the stats, Cuomo reversed the NH policy within 3-4 days of 14 consecutive days of decreasing new cases. To contrast it, see De Santis who decided to open bars, cases started going up (rumors had it that he was using much more favorably looking data), then he opened schools when you could see hints of a wave of secondary infections from bar patrons infecting people who actually develop symptoms and get tested. End result? A really avoidable summer wave.

U

User.45

Have to say that living in CA I'm not really knowledgeable about everything that went down in NY, but because Trump was such a moron he made everybody else (not towing his line) look like an expert completely on top of the situation.
Exactly. Cuomo sounds like a friggin genius next to Trump.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well Cuomo and De Blasio have to take some of the blame for the bad that's happening with the vaccine rollout. The asshole specifically told Cuomo that he was going to make the rollout difficult due to being bad-mouthed. There should be no excuses for the poor implementation, especially with communities of color and poorer enclaves.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Again, I'm not familiar with NY State politics, so I'm strictly commenting on the NH policy and the medical stuff. The OAG report essentially exonerates him in these regards, and is in line with my previous understanding of the situation...It's a good read if you find my bulletpointed summary insufficient. I think we all have a reason to be upset about the data fuckery, although that is also overstated based on what I see, as it had no impact on anything, just the political discourse.

If you look at the stats, Cuomo reversed the NH policy within 3-4 days of 14 consecutive days of decreasing new cases. To contrast it, see De Santis who decided to open bars, cases started going up (rumors had it that he was using much more favorably looking data), then he opened schools when you could see hints of a wave of secondary infections from bar patrons infecting people who actually develop symptoms and get tested. End result? A really avoidable summer wave.
He was warned against the policy and reversed due to opposition by the GOP and Dems. His administration definitely lied to the state and maybe the Feds. So investigations and charges are possible. Dem lawmakers (with my Assemblyman Ron Kim who lost a family member due to COVID-19) are looking at reversing emergency powers granted to fight the pandemic. And Cuomo is just like Mango, threatening and attacking when he should be apologizing. His press briefing should have been all about the vaccine rollout and continuing COVID-19 information. Instead he was a very unbecoming, disgusting attack on Ron Kim.

Confession: I'll admit that I've disliked Cuomo for decades because of his legendary arrogance, homophobia (see Ed Koch's run against his father for NYS governorship) and what I consider a veiled racist attack on Carl McCall who many thought had a great opportunity to become the 1st elected Black governor of NYS.

U

User.45

He was warned against the policy and reversed due to opposition by the GOP and Dems. His administration definitely lied to the state and maybe the Feds. So investigations and charges are possible. Dem lawmakers (with my Assemblyman Ron Kim who lost a family member due to COVID-19) are looking at reversing emergency powers granted to fight the pandemic. And Cuomo is just like Mango, threatening and attacking when he should be apologizing. His press briefing should have been all about the vaccine rollout and continuing COVID-19 information. Instead he was a very unbecoming, disgusting attack on Ron Kim.

Confession: I'll admit that I've disliked Cuomo for decades because of his legendary arrogance, homophobia (see Ed Koch's run against his father for NYS governorship) and what I consider a veiled racist attack on Carl McCall who many thought had a great opportunity to become the 1st elected Black governor of NYS.
The thing is, if young and non-COVID patients start dying in hallways Cuomo would have been crucified too. The situation was so bad in NYC, hospitals pulled in radiology and ophthalmology residents to cover the ER. There are limits as to how many patients you can monitor and work up safely. The more patients are in the hospital the less attention each patient gets to the point where they can't receive a level of care that defines an acute care hospital. NY's nursing home situation seems horrible though. The state needs a big overhaul (just like others').

Top Bottom
1 2