Cuomo should be held to the same standards as Trump

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Results from the investigation:

• New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women who worked for the state and elsewhere, according to a report by state Attorney General Letitia James.
  • The investigation concluded that Cuomo “violated federal and state law,” James said at a press conference.
  • Cuomo then retaliated against a former employee who complained publicly about his conduct, James’ report says.
  • The probe into numerous women’s allegations of sexual harassment by Cuomo began in March, after the state’s executive chamber granted James’ request to investigate.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
While no one should get a free pass, I think the Democrats screwed Al Frankin. :confused:

As time goes by it's been my impression as well.
Come on, he screwed himself.

He was not a kid, but what the Americans refer to as a "grown ass man".

That sort of behaviour is barely acceptable in an adolescent, or teenager, - as a teacher, I cannot think of how it would ever be condoned - but, at least, with teenagers, you can make the argument that their tardy brain development and impulse control and emotional maturity haven't yet caught up with the profound and unsettling and exhilarating physical changes they are experiencing as their body takes on its adult form - but, in an adult, a powerful adult, (yes, an intelligent, and gifted adult) with influence and a platform, this is inexcusable.

To my mind, it is high time for him to act his age, and to behave responsibly when in the public gaze (and behave with respect to others in private).

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
U

User.45

That sort of behaviour is barely acceptable in an adolescant, or teenager, as a teacher, I cannot think of how it would ever be condoned - but, at least, with teenagers, you can make the argument that their tardy brain development and impulse control and emotional maturity haven't yet caught up with the profound and unsettling and exhilarating physical changes they are experiencing - but, in an adult, a powerful adult, (yes, an intelligent, and gifted adult) with influence and a platform, this is inexcusable.

To my mind, it is high time for him to act his age, and to behave responsibly when in the public gaze (and behave with respect to others in private).
Last time I found any joke like this funny was when I was 12 or 13. I find this sorta humor distasteful yet boring. That said Al Franken did say they've had a raunchy sort of military humor going on there and it appears that Tweeden (lady "air groped") had her fair share of it:

------
I have yet to read the report on Cuomo myself. The guy's a mess and if the report's media representation reflects the report adequately, he should resign. I'm saying this because his COVID accusations were so widely misrepresented, I'll only settle with my own read on any report on the guy. It's telling that I'm still awaiting the evidence on how his actions led to thousands of avoidable COVID deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
I’m just so very disappointed. Cuomo kept us all sane in the early stage of the pandemic when we had no leadership.
He's a good public speaker, but this stuff no longer surprises me. Bill Gates was a golden child in the public eye (except for the qnon people) and he cheated on his wife... I'm sure plenty of highly respected people have dirty laundry. :( If news that Tim Cook harassed openly gay employees, I wouldn't be surprised either.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
He should've gotten the boot a while ago. With the avalanche of calls for his resignation from all the top Dems (Pres. Biden, both NYS Senators, the leaders of the NYS Assembly and Senate, and his handpicked Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul) he either resigns by the end of this week or gets the dragged-out by the ankle treatment come October.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
It does trouble me, though, the puritanical attitude toward politicians and other prominent types. The person best equipped to handle a job is likely to have character flaws unrelated to the job but still damning.

In Cuomo's case, he literally used his position to intimidate women under his authority. That flies nowhere decent and he needs to go. Protesting his innocence is only going to make it worse.

Franken, by contrast, displayed childish behavior for a man that age, but he was not even a Senator at the time. I heard nothing about him abusing his staff. And the sad part was that he was incredibly skilled with people, turning hostile encounters into let's-work-this-out.

So we cannot afford to be casually tossing people to the curb because they have some unpleasantness to them. If they are really good at a (honest) thing, they ought to be doing that, while we have people busy working out how to deal with that person's less savory behaviors. At least within reason.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Franken, by contrast, displayed childish behavior for a man that age, but he was not even a Senator at the time. I heard nothing about him abusing his staff. And the sad part was that he was incredibly skilled with people, turning hostile encounters into let's-work-this-out.
Franken was a comedian. Acting childishly was his job and he did it well. He was treated unfairly and should not have stepped down so quickly.

Cuomo, OTOH, needs to go post haste for creating such a toxic work environment.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
U

User.45

It does trouble me, though, the puritanical attitude toward politicians and other prominent types. The person best equipped to handle a job is likely to have character flaws unrelated to the job but still damning.

In Cuomo's case, he literally used his position to intimidate women under his authority. That flies nowhere decent and he needs to go. Protesting his innocence is only going to make it worse.

So we cannot afford to be casually tossing people to the curb because they have some unpleasantness to them. If they are really good at a (honest) thing, they ought to be doing that, while we have people busy working out how to deal with that person's less savory behaviors. At least within reason.
Franken was a comedian. Acting childishly was his job and he did it well. He was treated unfairly and should not have stepped down so quickly.

Cuomo, OTOH, needs to go post haste for creating such a toxic work environment.
I honestly thought Franken did this air groping thing to a random soldier. The fact that he did it to a fellow comedian who did similar jokes on others and then turned into a conservative talking head just tells me everything I need to know about the matter.

U

User.45

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1423029223808065537/

People want Cuomo held to the same standards as 45, but they certainly wouldn't want him "held accountable" like 45. That side of the fence gets amnesia when it comes to 45, while mostly all on both sides of the fence do actually want Cuomo held accountable.

Meanwhile if Cuomo bounces or is bounced...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1423025995993554945/

Somehow seems fitting
There are a number of people who lost credibility to an extent that I don't care about what they say about anything. McEnany is one of those people. I wouldn't believe here even if she said water is wet.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Al Franken had to go. He never denied touching women inappropriately (IIRC, seven with at least two accusations while he was a sitting Senator):

“I’m a warm person; I hug people. I’ve learned from recent stories that in some of those encounters, I crossed a line for some women — and I know that any number is too many.”

Given his earlier statements about listening to and supporting women, he had to resign. Defenders, as in the current Cuomo mess, can't point to even more boorish behavior by Republicans as an escape from consequences chit. We either believe and support women, or we don't.

U

User.45

Al Franken had to go. He never denied touching women inappropriately (IIRC, seven with at least two accusations while he was a sitting Senator):

Given his earlier statements about listening to and supporting women, he had to resign. Defenders, as in the current Cuomo mess, can't point to even more boorish behavior by Republicans as an escape from consequences chit. We either believe and support women, or we don't.
Do you agree that it wasn't for the photo though?

(I agree with the rest, but for those who very peripherally followed this, they made it out to be the result of the "air groping" photo).

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

That sort of behaviour is barely acceptable in an adolescent, or teenager, - as a teacher, I cannot think of how it would ever be condoned - but, at least, with teenagers, you can make the argument that their tardy brain development and impulse control and emotional maturity haven't yet caught up with the profound and unsettling and exhilarating physical changes they are experiencing as their body takes on its adult form - but, in an adult, a powerful adult, (yes, an intelligent, and gifted adult) with influence and a platform, this is inexcusable.

Yes, your opinion. I’m saying that based on what happened, the Democratic Party should not have pressured this very popular, effective, politician to step down. As Senator Frankin did not have a history of sexual harassment (this event was not sexual harassment) an apology would have sufficed.

In contrast, it appears that Cuomo needs to resign.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yes, your opinion. I’m saying that based on what happened, the Democratic Party should not have pressured this very popular, effective, politician to step down. As Senator Frankin did not have a history of sexual harassment (this event was not sexual harassment) an apology would have sufficed.

In contrast, it appears that Cuomo needs to resign.

Someone help me with my memory. But didn't Franken happen right after another politician, can't remember if D or R, had to resign over sexual misconduct? It was almost like he was caught up in the wrath caused by someone else's issues.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Someone help me with my memory. But didn't Franken happen right after another politician, can't remember if D or R, had to resign over sexual misconduct? It was almost like he was caught up in the wrath caused by someone else's issues.
Donald Trump? Oh wait... he did far worse but nobody on the right gave a shit.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Donald Trump? Oh wait... he did far worse but nobody on the right gave a shit.
Any Republican who sat idly by during all of the Trump victims now bashing Cuomo are a total joke, worthless hypocrites. They are the party of "personal responsibility" and apparently the only ones they're holding accountable have a D next to their names.

Franken and Cuomo were (and are) being dealt with and removed by their party as to where Republicans embraced Trump for far worse.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Any Republican who sat idly by during all of the Trump victims now bashing Cuomo are a total joke, worthless hypocrites. They are the party of "personal responsibility" and apparently the only ones they're holding accountable have a D next to their names.

Franken and Cuomo were (and are) being dealt with and removed by their party as to where Republicans embraced Trump for far worse.
They backed Roy Moore who had molested teenagers. The GOP even funded his campaign. Trump openly endorsed him. The voters were so disgusted by his behavior though that Alabama actually elected a Democrat.

The GOP has lost their morals completely. They are not the party of “family values” anymore... if they ever really were.

Top Bottom
1 2