Cybertruck photo leaked

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Looks like something out of the 80s movie Robocop.

cybertruck.jpeg

More info here...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sometimes it seems a lot bigger than it is, that photo of people around it is a good comparison (it's more "regular" sized).

Put a flat black wrap on it and it would look spooky :D

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Cybertruck would be the EV truck I would get. Simply due to not having to worry about dents or scratches from careless idiots to people who want to damage other peoples property. Though that in itself may make the Cybertruck a target for people to "test out" its durability.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't see how something like this compares with Ford. I guess we'll see.

For being a truck, it doesn't. The Lightning is just like a regular F-150 except with electric motors. It can haul and tow similar weights as the ICE version. I don't think you will be seeing many Cybertruck's at construction sites.

What will be interesting to know is how much towing will reduce range. In my Superduty with a diesel, pulling a 20' enclosed trailer weighing around 8,000#, my mpg drops like a rock. I can average 20+ on flat roads with the cruise set at 75. Pulling that trailer I drop to around 11-12 or almost half. So even with the extended range battery (300 miles), dropping it by a similar amount gets you around 160-180 miles. That isn't enough for a day of riding at HM or boating at Cave Run.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For being a truck, it doesn't. The Lightning is just like a regular F-150 except with electric motors. It can haul and tow similar weights as the ICE version. I don't think you will be seeing many Cybertruck's at construction sites.

What will be interesting to know is how much towing will reduce range. In my Superduty with a diesel, pulling a 20' enclosed trailer weighing around 8,000#, my mpg drops like a rock. I can average 20+ on flat roads with the cruise set at 75. Pulling that trailer I drop to around 11-12 or almost half. So even with the extended range battery (300 miles), dropping it by a similar amount gets you around 160-180 miles. That isn't enough for a day of riding at HM or boating at Cave Run.
Also, for being a truck it doesn't appear to have well, a truck bed. It looks more like a 1950s bastardized attempt at a futuristic SUV inspired by the movie The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I'm a huge fan of Tesla but this thing is flat out fugly, it will probably be good for a specialty market with towing capacity and all but it's hard to see this thing as a mainstream vehicle.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I'll wait until it gets closer to launch – when is that now? – before I judge...or even believe this is what it will actually look like.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What will be interesting to know is how much towing will reduce range.

There is some pretty slick development for electric campers that have drive gear, fully load balancing, can even operate by itself (to move around at a campsite) and of course, the battery powers all the lighting, etc., so it can operate without an RV hookup or a loud/smelly generator.

Check out this Airstream Prototype:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Also, for being a truck it doesn't appear to have well, a truck bed.

Yeah, those side views with the long diagonal strakes make it look like it's almost closed up, but it looks like this:

tesla-cybertruck-bed.jpg

You can get a good sense of the truck bed portion and the "body".

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Few are excited about this monstrosity.

Except most sites report an estimate of well over 750K reservations, and they took 250K a few years ago in the first couple of weeks.

Don't know the accuracy of this reporting (but it's been climbing and pretty consistent over the years), and if all these reservations will eventually turn into purchases, but there's __clearly__ more than a "few" people interested in this vehicle :D

In my redneck neck-of-the-woods, there's TWO people in my neighborhood with reservations but no other EVs. I think that's telling.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Don't know the accuracy of this reporting (but it's been climbing and pretty consistent over the years), and if all these reservations will eventually turn into purchases, but there's __clearly__ more than a "few" people interested in this vehicle

I imagine it'll be a short lived fad, like those boxy cube cars that were all the rage here a few years back.

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
I’m still convinced this is just a military platform in the guise of a commercial release. A few rich people will buy them but the real sales will be for DoD contracts (modified to spec).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Even the truck crowd on the usual offroad and pickup truck youtube channels that I watch are excited about the Rivian.

A Jeep buddy of mine is waiting on the Jeep Magneto. He loves to go rock crawling, which requires a very low gear, so an EV with software to control wheel spin would be ideal.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A Jeep buddy of mine is waiting on the Jeep Magneto. He loves to go rock crawling, which requires a very low gear, so an EV with software to control wheel spin would be ideal.

Electric motors for that use should be fantastic, tons of torque and completely controlled power application while being totally quiet.

I could see us doing a Magneto next, timing should be good, but ...

Even the truck crowd on the usual offroad and pickup truck youtube channels that I watch are excited about the Rivian.

... I'm also carefully watching Rivian, they pan out as a legit consumer player, I could easily see the R1S (the SUV model), being our next vehicle. They need to be able to: produce vehicles and demonstrate a support model - plus make the 400 mile extended range R1S available (so far the only the R1T has that option).

Top Bottom
1 2