Daughter, 20, Suing Her Mum's GP For Millions For Allowing Her To Be Born

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
life is not fair so suck it up and act like an adult.
A woman is suing her mum's GP for millions of pounds for allowing her to be born.
Evie Toombes, 20, from Skegness, Lincolnshire and was born with spina bifida - where a baby's spine and spinal cord fail to develop in the womb which causes a gap.
In November 2001, Evie was diagnosed with a lipomyelomeningocele (LMM), a form of neural tube defect to the spine leading to permanent disability.
The 20-year-old has appeared on ITV's show Hidden Disabilities: What's The Truth? and also met the Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle in 2018 after winning the Inspiration Young Person Award at a charity event.

Due to her condition she has to spend some days connected to tubes for up to 24-hours-a-day.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
life is not fair so suck it up and act like an adult.
A woman is suing her mum's GP for millions of pounds for allowing her to be born.
Evie Toombes, 20, from Skegness, Lincolnshire and was born with spina bifida - where a baby's spine and spinal cord fail to develop in the womb which causes a gap.
In November 2001, Evie was diagnosed with a lipomyelomeningocele (LMM), a form of neural tube defect to the spine leading to permanent disability.
The 20-year-old has appeared on ITV's show Hidden Disabilities: What's The Truth? and also met the Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle in 2018 after winning the Inspiration Young Person Award at a charity event.

Due to her condition she has to spend some days connected to tubes for up to 24-hours-a-day.
That's crazy. She's going to have a tough time proving that the advice given to her mom prior to and/or during pregnancy was the cause of her spina bifida. I wonder if there was any prenatal screening done? Also, depending on the severity, spina bifida may be treated after or even before birth.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Fooferdoggie, where the heck do you dredge up this crap? Somehow I don't think that this sort of "article" generally appears in the standard so-called "mainstream" media....

From what I understand, Spina Bifida is one of those disorders where there is no specifically pinpointed cause, but one factor may be a deficiency of folate (Vitamin B-9), which is these days usually included in administration and prescription of vitamins to pregnant women. There may also be a family history of neural tube defects or there may other genetic, nutritional and environmental risk factors. There's no one specific cause that can readily be pinpointed and corrected. People with Spina Bifida present with varying degrees of being affected by it, with functionality being all over the place, from someone able to walk without assistance to someone needing to use crutches and braces to someone non-ambulatory and in a wheelchair. In some situations, hydrocephalus also accompanies the Spina Bifida, and that brings along its own issues.

My guess is that this so-called lawsuit is going to get tossed right out of court for so many reasons. It's too bad, yes, that this young woman has a disability which she hates and for which she never asked, but that's the roll of the dice, kid. There are MANY people out here in the world dealing with various disabilities, congenital and often of genetic origin, but also at times spontaneous. This young woman needs to put her energy into making the best life she can for herself rather than whining about something which her parents couldn't control and which occurred at her birth.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fooferdoggie, where the heck do you dredge up this crap? Somehow I don't think that this sort of "article" generally appears in the standard so-called "mainstream" media....

From what I understand, Spina Bifida is one of those disorders where there is no specifically pinpointed cause, but one factor may be a deficiency of folate (Vitamin B-9), which is these days usually included in administration and prescription of vitamins to pregnant women. There may also be a family history of neural tube defects or there may other genetic, nutritional and environmental risk factors. There's no one specific cause that can readily be pinpointed and corrected. People with Spina Bifida present with varying degrees of being affected by it, with functionality being all over the place, from someone able to walk without assistance to someone needing to use crutches and braces to someone non-ambulatory and in a wheelchair. In some situations, hydrocephalus also accompanies the Spina Bifida, and that brings along its own issues.

My guess is that this so-called lawsuit is going to get tossed right out of court for so many reasons. It's too bad, yes, that this young woman has a disability which she hates and for which she never asked, but that's the roll of the dice, kid. There are MANY people out here in the world dealing with various disabilities, congenital and often of genetic origin, but also at times spontaneous. This young woman needs to put her energy into making the best life she can for herself rather than whining about something which her parents couldn't control and which occurred at her birth.

For what it’s worth, this sort of lawsuit is not uncommon. There’s even a name for them: “wrongful life.” Some jurisdictions have endorsed these sorts of lawsuits, often with various limitations. See, e.g. http://online.ceb.com/CalCases/C3/31C3d220.htm

U

User.45

That's crazy. She's going to have a tough time proving that the advice given to her mom prior to and/or during pregnancy was the cause of her spina bifida. I wonder if there was any prenatal screening done? Also, depending on the severity, spina bifida may be treated after or even before birth.
If it's really lipomengingomyelocele it's not caused by folate deficiency, so this suit will not go very far. https://thejns.org/pediatrics/view/journals/j-neurosurg-pediatr/100/2/article-p98.xml

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
saw the news pop up on Facebook where else?? I also use fark it grabs all kinds of crazy and fun stuff.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Well, all I can say is that neither a good friend who, yes, actually has Spina Bifida, or I, having lived all these years with Treacher Collins Syndrome, ever entertained even the slightest notion of attempting to sue our parents. As a certain someone who hangs out on the Digital Photography forums at MR often says, "how absurd!"

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, all I can say is that neither a good friend who, yes, actually has Spina Bifida, or I, having lived all these years with Treacher Collins Syndrome, ever entertained even the slightest notion of attempting to sue our parents. As a certain someone who hangs out on the Digital Photography forums at MR often says, "how absurd!"
yes for sure.

Top Bottom
1 2