Dave Chappelle stirring up controversy...again

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm surprised, but then again not surprised that no one has mentioned Daphne Dorman.

She was his friend who was also trans. She opened his show on occasion and defended his comedy. For which she was attacked on SM by the trans community and finally committed suicide. She had previous mental issues, but I have to wonder if DC partly blames her death on that community over their attacks on her for defending him.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised, but then again not surprised that no one has mentioned Daphne Dorman.

She was his friend who was also trans. She opened his show on occasion and defended his comedy. For which she was attacked on SM by the trans community and finally committed suicide. She had previous mental issues, but I have to wonder if DC partly blames her death on that community over their attacks on her for defending him.
I didn’t watch the special. Did he mention her during it?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yes he did.

I have watched his specials in the past, but I’m not too interested in this one because of all the controversy. I read about this woman, and although she committed suicide, there was no apparent connection between that and Dave Chappell or her support of him.

Seems like Dave is trying to say: “I have one trans friend and they didn’t find my jokes offensive, so everybody else should stop criticizing me.”

But your friend Susie Soccer Mom should love the special.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have watched his specials in the past, but I’m not too interested in this one because of all the controversy. I read about this woman, and although she committed suicide, there was no apparent connection between that and Dave Chappell or her support of him.
I haven't watched it either. I find his bits too drawn out. Great in clips, but too much to sit and watch the whole show.

She did have issues, including pretty severe PTSD. But she was viciously attacked on SM over her support of his 2019 special. She committed suicide within 6 months.

So, no you can't point and say A caused B, but you also can't say A wasn't a factor in B.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched, and mostly thought it was good. When he brings up Rowling/TERF, there’s about 3 minutes where he completely loses me, making a comparison between dressing in blackface and men dressing as women that I find ludicrous.

D

Deleted member 221

I haven’t seen this latest stuff, but I recall seeing some of Dave from maybe a year ago?
My thought was just that he seemed more angry than funny anymore.

Maybe I just got older and I’m not into him as much ...I’m not sure?

I just enjoy his more lighthearted stuff from the early 2000’s
Of course...Times change. People change.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I haven’t seen this latest stuff, but I recall seeing some of Dave from maybe a year ago?
My thought was just that he seemed more angry than funny anymore.

Maybe I just got older and I’m not into him as much ...I’m not sure?

I just enjoy his more lighthearted stuff from the early 2000’s
Of course...Times change. People change.
Yeah, he's definitely on a soapbox these days, a real departure from when you used to get high and do funny sketches on Chappelle's show, IMO one of the best comedy sketch shows ever made.

D

Deleted member 221

Yeah, he's definitely on a soapbox these days, a real departure from when you used to get high and do funny sketches on Chappelle's show, IMO one of the best comedy sketch shows ever made.

So true.
The thing is, I probably agree with him on most all of his social takes.

That said, it’s just not something I’m looking for out of my comedian entertainment.

I’m just tapped out on every single thing having to be a political or divisive situation. It’s becoming really hard to find anything we can just do for enjoyment that doesn’t try to ram viewpoints down our throat.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The thing about the show was a great deal of it was collaborative. Especially with the involvement of Paul Mooney and a couple of other comedy vets/deep minds. He lost a great deal of his edge when he went awol from the show due to creative differences with the network. But he's always been of a 'phobe; he's just really gone off the deep end when it comes to Trans women for some reason. He's been shit-talking Black men in drag ("Hollywood emasculating Black men" via TV and movies) for decades actually. I guess he needs a quick history on Geraldine Jones & The Devil. Really, shit ain't that deep.

D

Deleted member 221

he's just really gone off the deep end when it comes to Trans women for some reason. He's been shit-talking Black men in drag ("Hollywood emasculating Black men" via TV and movies) for decades actually. I guess he needs a quick history on Geraldine Jones & The Devil. Really, shit ain't that deep.

Yikes..
my Dave days may be done it sounds like (at least for new content)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yikes..
my Dave days may be done it sounds like (at least for new content)
I saw clips from his previous trans hatefest. And months ago saw some kinda special from his "farm" in Ohio. Others said it was profound commentary on the George Floyd murder. It was complete and utter bullshit rambling and not comedy. It wasn't profound. It was just him ... I don't really know.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A few articles I read that weren’t instantly frothing at the mouth offended, including a couple written by members of the LGBQ+ community, pointed out that people have this view of Dave that simply isn’t true. He’s never been a SJW for everybody. He’s always been about the black community. They also said he’s making fun of/attacking everybody, but you wouldn’t know that from the articles being written. You’d think the entire thing is a diatribe about trans people.

Honestly, this being beat into the dirt is just going to cause more people to watch the special than would have and I think a fair amount of people are going to walk away almost feeling let down by the lack of offensive material that justified the condemnation shit storm. For those who aren’t hyperventilating about the content, the main criticism is it’s more preachy than funny.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in watching it at all. I have never been a DC fan even before all of this. The only thing I remember watching with him was "Half Baked" in the late 90s when I was a teenager.

I did read a comment from him where he said his beef has always been with white people. But other than that, I really don't know much about the guy.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I watched the special and thought it was smart and funny, and I truly don’t see what the big deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched the special and thought it was smart and funny, and I truly don’t see what the big deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it’s a 50 journalist virtue signaling pileup followed by first responders and rubberneckers making it worse, a common hazard on the road to social justice.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Looks like Sarandos is changing his tune.

Yeah, sounds like too little too late.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Check out Key & Peele (the latter being Jordan Peele of Us and Get Out director/writer fame).

It's incredibly funny, and is both absolutely absurd and socio-politically right on point. Most of the major sketches are on YT, and the whole shows are on HBOMax.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Check out Key & Peele (the latter being Jordan Peele of Us and Get Out director/writer fame).

It's incredibly funny, and is both absolutely absurd and socio-politically right on point. Most of the major sketches are on YT, and the whole shows are on HBOMax.
Great show, used to watch back in their Comedy Central days.

Top Bottom
1 2