Dave Chappelle stirring up controversy...again

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
So it seems that if Netflix were to remove 'the Closer' special due to pressure, Dave is considering going on a 10 city tour.

Yeah, that will go well. A tour inspired by the very thing that caused all this notoriety in the first place. I wonder whatever will Dave discuss?

:rolleyes:

How one could make more money off of controversy?

Moreover, at the same time the protest was taking place, Chappelle himself was performing the last leg of his weeklong U.K. tour at London’s Eventim Apollo theater. While no cellphones, cameras or recording devices were allowed, many in attendance confirmed to Variety that the comedian mentioned he would plan a 10-city U.S. tour should The Closer be removed from Netflix, though as previously stated, there are no plans to do so at this time.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Rose ain’t having it.
From the article. Quote from Rose:

“Do any of you twerps even know your paycheck comes from the deeply corrupt?” said McGowan. “Your bosses are DOJ/CIA stooges in on smearing Assange in a fake documentary meant to misinform. You little Taylors risk NOTHING. It is Zero Hour. Get real or fuck off. Right now it’s about facts not your fucking feelings.”

Something very conspiracy-minded has a hold on her. Even when I think she’s right, her vibe is somewhat off the rails. She’s been through some shit, I don’t doubt, but I take her statements with a grain of salt. About this, she should probably say nothing.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
From the article. Quote from Rose:

“Do any of you twerps even know your paycheck comes from the deeply corrupt?” said McGowan. “Your bosses are DOJ/CIA stooges in on smearing Assange in a fake documentary meant to misinform. You little Taylors risk NOTHING. It is Zero Hour. Get real or fuck off. Right now it’s about facts not your fucking feelings.”

Something very conspiracy-minded has a hold on her. Even when I think she’s right, her vibe is somewhat off the rails. She’s been through some shit, I don’t doubt, but I take her statements with a grain of salt. About this, she should probably say nothing.
She's crazier than cat shit. Anything she says I'd take the opposite stance.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
8AE78C3F-4FED-4D0A-A06C-19AE9CF3F48F.jpeg

Hey look, Boebert never misses an opportunity to be an idiot.

U

User.191

So here’s my perspective - as a trans woman.

I have zero problem with trans jokes when told by someone who does so not to offend, but to enlighten and educate. Think South Park. Matt Stone & Trey Parker are classic examples of this: they have zero sacred goats but when they make fun of everything and everyone: people, concepts or ideals, and they do so with a careful eye on what they’re doing.

I know with them that any trans jokes are not made out of spite but because we have to laugh about ourselves whether we be caucasian, or otherwise, straight or otherwise, cis or otherwise, religious or otherwise. Human nature can be funny and we need to remember that.

Now Chappelle’s doing this not to be funny, but to be mean. He’s doing it because he thinks it’ll make him relevant to the “non-woke” crowd. He’s not being funny for the sake of funny, he’s not being funny for the sake of cruelty.

He’s a dog-whistle “comedian”.

U

User.191

Rose ain’t having it.
Not for the first time. She’s made anti-trans statements before and then subsequently apologized.

She’s the worst sorta gay person - another TERF who forgets the role T’s played into the LGBT movement and now apparently feels the LGBT movement doesn’t need to T’s (because she’s now reached general acceptance).

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not for the first time. She’s made anti-trans statements before and then subsequently apologized.

She’s the worst sorta gay person - another TERF who forgets the role T’s played into the LGBT movement and now apparently feels the LGBT movement doesn’t need to T’s (because she’s now reached general acceptance).

In simplest terms I think for both her and Chappelle the jokes and/or anger comes from believing the tansgender community either coopted, distracted from, of jumped to the front of the cue of their social justice cause.

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
I've never heard of Chappelle until right before this controversy came about. Watching a minute or so of the clips that stirred up controversy, I think people are too sensitive. People really think that because of his horrible "jokes" it will inspire more violence towards trans people? I tend to think not.

Oh, I wasn't gonna be violent, but this Dave Chappelle dude's words gave me the encouragement to do it.:rolleyes: Give me a break. People that are violent and filled with hate are gonna be violent regardless of some horrible comedian.

As far as the walkout goes, I don't know how many employees feel this way, but it its a small amount, they should find another job where their sensitive feelings will be taking into account. Just show up for work, do your job (and keep quiet), collect a paycheck, and go home. It's what I do, it's what my parents did, its what most of my friends do as well.

Whats more important? Making a political/social statement or putting food on the table and paying bills? For me it's the latter.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never heard of Chappelle until right before this controversy came about. Watching a minute or so of the clips that stirred up controversy, I think people are too sensitive. People really think that because of his horrible "jokes" it will inspire more violence towards trans people? I tend to think not.

Oh, I wasn't gonna be violent, but this Dave Chappelle dude's words gave me the encouragement to do it.:rolleyes: Give me a break. People that are violent and filled with hate are gonna be violent regardless of some horrible comedian.

As far as the walkout goes, I don't know how many employees feel this way, but it its a small amount, they should find another job where their sensitive feelings will be taking into account. Just show up for work, do your job (and keep quiet), collect a paycheck, and go home. It's what I do, it's what my parents did, its what most of my friends do as well.

Whats more important? Making a political/social statement or putting food on the table and paying bills? For me it's the latter.

Unless you’re in the relevant group, not sure how any opinion matters. I haven’t heard anyone who was the subject of the “jokes” who feels like the people who are complaining are “too sensitive.” If there are, then great. But either way, unless you are in the minority that could be affected by the jokes, there is no reason to chime in with “it was nothing.”

“People are too sensitive” is always the refrain from people not in the minority whenever hurtful speech is directed at that minority.

U

User.191

I've actually been on the receiving end of "the jokes". Do not underestimate the power of targeted humor that can easily been weaponized.

It may seem to you to be harmless, I attempted suicide as a result of this "humor" when I was in my early 20s.

It may seem to be light hearted banter to you, because you're not affected. Trans people now are the favorite minority to pick on because many high profile gays and lesbians join in.

Hell, we now have an entire political party who's now using "anti Trans" calls as their battle flag.

Can you even begin to imagine to know that you have a whole political party wanting to legislate you out of existence? Where 50% of the country feels you have no right to exist?

We're not a joke to be laughed at. We're not a punchline. We're human beings and we deserve respect for what we have to undergo.

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
I'm not going to try and imagine what it's like walking in your shoes since I'm a straight white male. I will say that as someone who is hearing impaired, I don't get offended at jokes I hear regarding hearing impairment, deafness, etc. There was one woman I met that was personal triggered and offended by being called hearing impaired. She said she was deaf. If I recall correctly, deaf is when you cannot hear at all, otherwise you are technically hard of hearing/hearing impaired. Not sure why she was wasting oxygen being offended at something so small. I've had people tell me to "turn them on" or "turn them up". I just roll my eyes but I don't take the energy to become offended.

I realize hearing impairment and being a transgender person aren't remotely close, just wanted to share my own experiences. I'm sorry you were driven to a suicide attempt by "humor" (bullying) It's one thing to have hateful words directed at you personally.

U

User.191

I'm not going to try and imagine what it's like walking in your shoes since I'm a straight white male. I will say that as someone who is hearing impaired, I don't get offended at jokes I hear regarding hearing impairment, deafness, etc. There was one woman I met that was personal triggered and offended by being called hearing impaired. She said she was deaf. If I recall correctly, deaf is when you cannot hear at all, otherwise you are technically hard of hearing/hearing impaired. Not sure why she was wasting oxygen being offended at something so small. I've had people tell me to "turn them on" or "turn them up". I just roll my eyes but I don't take the energy to become offended.

I realize hearing impairment and being a transgender person aren't remotely close, just wanted to share my own experiences. I'm sorry you were driven to a suicide attempt by "humor" (bullying) It's one thing to have hateful words directed at you personally.
Like I said earlier. I have zero objects to jokes made about me being English, Caucasian, gay or Trans - when made with good humor and intentions.

Chappelle's "jokes" are designed to feed into the anti-trans rhetoric.

That's the difference.

Top Bottom
1 2