Democrats Favored to Win Senate for First Time as Polling Improves: 538

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Interesting turn of events when Democrats were all but written off.

For the first time, political polling website FiveThirtyEight shows the Democrats with an edge in the race for the U.S. Senate in November.

The website late on Tuesday showed the Democrats were due to win 51 out of 100 seats, while the Republicans are slated to win 49.

There had been consensus for a long time that the Republicans will win back the Senate this fall, buoyed by high inflation and economic downturn under Democrat Joe Biden's presidency.

FiveThirtyEight believes that the Republicans have selected some "weak candidates" in some key races, meaning that they are less likely to take the upper chamber than previously predicted.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Interesting turn of events when Democrats were all but written off.

I think it’s Roe v Wade backlash plus the absolute garbage candidates the GOP are putting forward in state-wide races. Biggest problem for the Democrats will still be Sinema and Manchin though. They need to get to 52.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s all good until you find out the only way voters can find out where a polling station is in a swing state is by correctly answering a questionnaire on Truth Social with a registered account that’s been active for at least 6 months. This is the only way we can protect voter integrity.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think a lot of *sane* people are beginning to realize that aligning with a party that *still* heavily endorses trump will have even greater dire consequences going forward.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I always thought the Dems were in good standing for these midterms. Most of the iffy seats are currently held by the GOP with at least two easy pickups: Ryan in OH & Fetterman in PA. Months ago I was worried about Warnock in GA, but Herchel Walker is probably toast at this point; so no need to worry about losing that seat.

Honestly, I thought Dems really should be hyping the matches in NC and FL as possible gains. But weak assistance months ago doomed those opportunities. I think 52-48 is still too close with Manchin, Sinema and Kelly in the mix. Having a 54-46 Senate edge would be lovely.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I always thought the Dems were in good standing for these midterms. Most of the iffy seats are currently held by the GOP with at least two easy pickups: Ryan in OH & Fetterman in PA. Months ago I was worried about Warnock in GA, but Herchel Walker is probably toast at this point; so no need to worry about losing that seat.

Honestly, I thought Dems really should be hyping the matches in NC and FL as possible gains. But weak assistance months ago doomed those opportunities. I think 52-48 is still too close with Manchin, Sinema and Kelly in the mix. Having a 54-46 Senate edge would be lovely.
Speaking of Manchin, he seems to have noticed that he might not be the tiebreaker after these upcoming elections. So, he has agreed to sign onto a much lesser version of Build Back Better, focused on climate, healthcare, and changes to some tax policy. Seems like his main criteria for this is that it be called “SuperManchin saves us from inflation” instead of BBB.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of Manchin, he seems to have noticed that he might not be the tiebreaker after these upcoming elections. So, he has agreed to sign onto a much lesser version of Build Back Better, focused on climate, healthcare, and changes to some tax policy. Seems like his main criteria for this is that it be called “SuperManchin saves us from inflation” instead of BBB.
You think that’s the reason? I’m a bit baffled as to his change of heart.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Good news, but WTF? Just when you think he couldn't be any more of a Republican he finds new ways to prove you wrong. Maybe he refuses to switch parties because he doesn't want to share the spotlight with the sedition caucus.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I get the SuperManchin thing is a joke but is there really a lesser version in the works? I’d expect him to pull the rug out again. He’s Lucy with the football, always fucking you in the end. His main objective seems to be wasting time for the Dems.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I get the SuperManchin thing is a joke but is there really a lesser version in the works? I’d expect him to pull the rug out again. He’s Lucy with the football, always fucking you in the end. His main objective seems to be wasting time for the Dems.
The actual name he’s giving it is “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.” Since it looks like inflation is already starting to taper, he probably figures renaming it will cause people to associate him with ”solving” it.

Top Bottom
1 2