General Diabetic

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any Diabetics here?

My wife was diagnosed as borderline diabetic, and as part of her evaluation she has a One Touch blood tester which involves pricking her finger twice a day and taking a blood sample for reading. There is a puncture unit that has a small disposable needle. I’ve been helping her and what we’ve noticed is sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to draw blood. Now I’m referencing a teeny amount of blood that gets sucked into a grove on a strip which is read by the unit. She says she hardly feels it and sometimes there is blood and other times no. I‘m wondering if you are pricking yourself twice a day every day in these same areas, if it becomes harder to harvest blood from? Maybe use different parts of the fingers thsn near the tips?

Of note after doing several days of testing, all of her readings have been in the normal range 115-128. I assume this is a blood sugar level but I’m nor sure what the number represents.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Of note after doing several days of testing, all of her readings have been in the normal range 115-128. I assume this is a blood sugar level but I’m nor sure what the number represents.
In literal terms, the number is measured in mg/dL (milligrams per tenth of a litre). From what I can tell, serious hypoglycemia runs around 70, so I suspect that most people maintain around 90~110, with surges after eating as the body works to level things out. Those numbers are not that bad – it is at the steady 150~200 level that the sugar starts to cause damage to stuff.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In literal terms, the number is measured in mg/dL (milligrams per tenth of a litre). From what I can tell, serious hypoglycemia runs around 70, so I suspect that most people maintain around 90~110, with surges after eating as the body works to level things out. Those numbers are not that bad – it is at the steady 150~200 level that the sugar starts to cause damage to stuff.
Thanks for the reply! On the reader all of her readings display in a green zone, but in the app where this device records results, when she selects “before meal” in some cases then the result turns red.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! On the reader all of her readings display in a green zone, but in the app where this device records results, when she selects “before meal” in some cases then the result turns red.
Sounds like the absolute levels are not alarming by themselves, but they are not as expected/preferred given the context.

U

User.45

Any Diabetics here?

My wife was diagnosed as borderline diabetic, and as part of her evaluation she has a One Touch blood tester which involves pricking her finger twice a day and taking a blood sample for reading. There is a puncture unit that has a small disposable needle. I’ve been helping her and what we’ve noticed is sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to draw blood. Now I’m referencing a teeny amount of blood that gets sucked into a grove on a strip which is read by the unit. She says she hardly feels it and sometimes there is blood and other times no. I‘m wondering if you are pricking yourself twice a day every day in these same areas, if it becomes harder to harvest blood from? Maybe use different parts of the fingers thsn near the tips?

More context needed. Borderline diabetics are usually not given glucometers. What was her Hemoglobin A1C?

Top Bottom
1 2