Did you know? (A thread about MLB labor stoppage)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Watched some of the Reds/Braves last night. Something was off. Not sure what, but it was off. Perhaps it was just the TV presentation.

And I didn't really like the pitch graphics they kept showing on ESPN.

I looked in on that for awhile, thought the audio was weird, the dynamics range or something,

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I looked in on that for awhile, thought the audio was weird, the dynamics range or something,

Maybe. I couldn't put my finger on what was off.

FS1 has Sox/Yanks tomorrow at 4, so will try and catch it to compare.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m excited to see how Apple TV+ handles their first MLB broadcast tonight. Some info on their broadcast teams is below.

We know you like the Bills and Sabers, but since Buffalo doesn't have an MLB team, who do you follow?

I grew up rooting for the Reds since they were the closest team and I made it to a couple of games a year. And following the Braves/Cubs since they were always on cable (TBS/WGN). But I just like baseball the game and don't really have a favorite, except for whoever is playing the Yankees. :eek:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We know you like the Bills and Sabers, but since Buffalo doesn't have an MLB team, who do you follow?

I grew up rooting for the Reds since they were the closest team and I made it to a couple of games a year. And following the Braves/Cubs since they were always on cable (TBS/WGN). But I just like baseball the game and don't really have a favorite, except for whoever is playing the Yankees. :eek:
Washington Nationals

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m excited to see how Apple TV+ handles their first MLB broadcast tonight. Some info on their broadcast teams is below.

I am loathing it. Mets have the best broadcast team in baseball. (Gary, Keith and Ron).

One of tonight’s Apple TV+ broadcasters‘ own mom knows this is a big mistake:

4DF31C32-E201-42ED-BE8F-EC131241E13D.jpeg

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I am loathing it. Mets have the best broadcast team in baseball. (Gary, Keith and Ron).
Even though I'm a Yankee fan, I watch a few Mutts games. I actually like their broadcast team. After watching a half inning of tonight's Friday Night Game I think I'll watch with the sound off. They're trying too hard. Trying to be comedians and entertainers. The chemistry sounds and feels artificial. I guess it helps that the local broadcast teams have been together and are often former teammates and/or competitors that can add to the dynamics of the game.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Even though I'm a Yankee fan, I watch a few Mutts games. I actually like their broadcast team. After watching a half inning of tonight's Friday Night Game I think I'll watch with the sound off. They're trying too hard. Trying to be comedians and entertainers. The chemistry sounds and feels artificial. I guess it helps that the local broadcast teams have been together and are often former teammates and/or competitors that can add to the dynamics of the game.

From what I’m seeing online, most Mets fans are watching with the sound off and listening to the radio broadcast.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, they cleared the benches after Lindor took a pitch in the face. I don’t think it was intentional, as it was only the 2nd pitch of a reliever, so probably just a wild pitch. However, the response by the Nats pitcher was angry and aggressive afterwards, so I don’t have a problem with the umpires kicking him out of the game on the spot. I hope Lindor is ok. He was squared up to bunt so the ball went right into his face.

The response from the Mets was expected after they got hit by Nats pitches 3 times last night.

Probably not what Apple was looking for in their first broadcast…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, they cleared the benches after Lindor took a pitch in the face. I don’t think it was intentional, as it was only the 2nd pitch of a reliever, so probably just a wild pitch. However, the response by the Nats pitcher was angry and aggressive afterwards, so I don’t have a problem with the umpires kicking him out of the game on the spot. I hope Lindor is ok. He was squared up to bunt so the ball went right into his face.

The response from the Mets was expected after they got hit by Nats pitches 3 times last night.

Probably not what Apple was looking for in their first broadcast…

just had to listen to the announcers for the last 15 minutes. Thank god I can listen to the radio call again. These announcers are awful. It’s like bad top 40 radio DJs.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
just had to listen to the announcers for the last 15 minutes. Thank god I can listen to the radio call again. These announcers are awful. It’s like bad top 40 radio DJs.
I tried again as I was brushing my teeth with the game on the iPad. I turned off the sound again. Should've done like others and put on the radio, but I haven't tried that in quite some time.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I tried again as I was brushing my teeth with the game on the iPad. I turned off the sound again. Should've done like others and put on the radio, but I haven't tried that in quite some time.

When I was a kid people would watch Monday Night Football, but turn the sound down and listen to the radio broadcast. People either loved or hated Howard Cosell, there was no middle ground. Sounds like history is repeating itself.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid people would watch Monday Night Football, but turn the sound down and listen to the radio broadcast. People either loved or hated Howard Cosell, there was no middle ground. Sounds like history is repeating itself.
Cosell was a blowhard and extremely annoying. His head got too big and he made it all about himself. Kinda like some of the announcers today during national broadcasts.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cosell was a blowhard and extremely annoying. His head got too big and he made it all about himself. Kinda like some of the announcers today during national broadcasts.

ARod comes to mind as an example of that.

BTW, lots of great announcers were available for Apple to hire. Folks without current jobs, even. Gary Thorne, Tim McCarver, etc. And where’s the law that you can’t have folks call games for more than one network? Instead Apple has to hire people who never called a game before?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
ARod comes to mind as an example of that.

BTW, lots of great announcers were available for Apple to hire. Folks without current jobs, even. Gary Thorne, Tim McCarver, etc. And where’s the law that you can’t have folks call games for more than one network? Instead Apple has to hire people who never called a game before?
He immediately came to mind. And now includes Beltran.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He immediately came to mind. And now includes Beltran.

I’ve never heard Beltran, though of course I know him as a player (and, like most Mets fan, dislike him as a player). His recent interview about how he “earned” the Mets managing job and where he tried to justify the sign stealing tells me a lot.

Here’s an idea, Apple - hire some of the many talented radio play-by-play and color commentators who have lots of experience and talent, but just haven’t been able to make the jump to TV.

Honestly, even Buck and Arod would be better than what I heard yesterday, and they’re terrible.

Top Bottom
1 2