General Disco Elysium

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 1930877

B634171B-ADCD-43D6-9255-CBEA922A9AD1.jpeg

Any fans out there?

Recently purchased on sale at Steam, I played some last night, outstanding writing, you are a struggling detective in this alternate reality (?) RPG, one of the attributes you can pick has your neck tie talking to you. So far my impression is that the game plods along. It is definitely in your best interests to read up on builds and the skill system to know what you're getting into, and what to expect,

I am still interested in the story, very atmospheric, and have not yet gotten into a fight to be able to judge this aspect of the game. It is not dynamic, my guess is fights are choice driven, dice rolls, and skill based, no actual dynamic control of your character.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Any fans out there?

Me. I loved it.

The game does provide you a good deal of control of your character, but you do have to build your stats up to be the type of character you want to play. If you want to be a genius detective, don't put all your skill points in brute force and intimidation. The game won't provide you with the means the investigate subtle details if you do that.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Attributes and Skills

Each attribute has six skills in its skill group. Each group broadly determines the type of checks it will be used for, which can give the player an idea of what kind archetype they wish to make if not using a pre-made character.

40E38961-CD0F-438A-8F3F-EC8F61C1474F.jpeg

This section will break down the various attributes and what their skill groups are generally for, but you can click a given skill group for a deeper dive.

Intellect Skills

The six Intellect Skills are Logic, Encyclopedia, Rhetoric, Drama, Conceptualization, and Visual Calculus. These skills are generally used in passive skill checks to advise the player which is the “correct” dialogue option to choose. Successful passive checks on these skills usually open new dialogue options in the current conversation. Intellect Skills are best used when the player wants to learn more about the background lore of Disco Elysium.

Psyche Skills

The six Psyche Skills are Volition, Inland Empire, Empathy, Authority, Esprit de Corps, and Suggestion. These skills are often used in passive skill checks to advise the player and open new dialogue options similar to the Intellect Skills. However, some of them, such as Authority and Suggestion, are used in more active checks when talking to other characters. Volition also sets the character's maximum Morale, one of the two “health bars” in the game. Psyche Skillsare best used when the player wants to roleplay using the character's words as his primary weapon.

Physique Skills

The six Physique Skills are Endurance, Pain Threshold, Physical Instrument, Electrochemsitry, Shivers, and Half Light. These skills are often used in active skill checks when the character attempts to use their physical force to affect the world. A few of the skills may present themselves during passive checks, but for the most part they are used to perform an action. Endurance also sets the character's maximum Health, one of the two “health bars” in the game. Physique Skills are best used when the player wants to roleplay using the character's physical strength or intimidation as his primary weapon.

Motorics Skills

The six Motorics Skills are Hand/Eye Coordination, Perception, Reaction Speed, Savoir Faire, Interfacing, and Composure. This skill mix is used in a variety of passive and active skill checks when the character attempts to do any action not based fully and directly on intelligence or raw strength. It's used for both being sneaky or simply manipulating small devices. Motorics Skills are best used when the player wants to use objects and dexterous actions

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Me. I loved it.

The game does provide you a good deal of control of your character, but you do have to build your stats up to be the type of character you want to play. If you want to be a genius detective, don't put all your skill points in brute force and intimidation. The game won't provide you with the means the investigate subtle details if you do that.
After reading I made a custom build. One of the guides said concentrate on 2 areas:
  • Intellect: 2
  • Psyche: 4
  • Physical: 2
  • Motorics (Agility): 4
I’ll see how this works out.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The best way to play the game is to build what you think you want your character to be, then just roll with whatever tickles your fancy as the game goes on. The game is primarily a story you're interacting with, and is so cleverly designed, you're never left without an option to progress.

Bad things can happen, and you can end up with a sad ending, but seeing the myriad ways you can go from Point A to B is what makes it so fun. You can be a logical, observant detective, or a new age hippy type disco dancer who can divine solutions from utter nonsense. I ended up somewhere in the middle when I played it. A drunk, hopped up mess of a man, overly obsessed with living a rock star lifestyle despite being a complete loser, but had a brilliant knack for deduction.

...though I was also physically weak, teetering on the edge of death at all times. One time, I decided to bail on a hotel bill with some flair and style. I ran off, jumped up, turned around mid-air to flip off the desk clerk, but screwed up the landing, and ended up breaking my neck on the continental breakfast table.

That's the kind of game Disco Elysium is.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Sadly I ended up bailing on this, as it seemed to drag and I felt like I was in the starting area like forever.

There's really only two main areas in the game, and I'd say you spend about 2/3rds of your time in the 1st one.

It is a slow game though, and I can understand that it's not for everyone.

Top Bottom
1 2