Disgusting Religious Sign

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
They've been blasted for this and have since taken the signs down, there were several.

From Fox6Now
Billboards in Milwaukee that targeted people living in poverty were taken down after some say the message was inappropriate. However, the group behind the billboards is defending the controversial images.

There were four billboards throughout the city with the same message that have all since been replaced with an inspirational message about courage.

Finish school, take any job, get married. That was the billboard message from the group "Urban Cure" for Milwaukee residents living in poverty.
Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 5.40.42 AM.png

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Their website is about what you’d expect. They claim to care about poverty, but all their arguments are about how the federal government should stay out of it. Stopping homelessness can be done by arresting homeless people. And this gem that (to me) has zero to do with their goal of “urban renewal”:

Cancel Culture and Wokeness Will Destroy Our Country​

Yeah, fixing that‘s gonna solve poverty and homelessness.

Shame on these people.

Oh, and of course if you donate to this obviously political group, you can write it off on your taxes because they claim to be a charity. Yeah…. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Last edited:

lizkat

elite pita
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Clear Channels really messed up by not vetting those ads. The real kick in the teeth was the reference to the biblical verse Proverbs 10:4 that appeared under the image of each person on those billboards. All of them were Black people. The text itself of that verse was not quoted (of course?!) but says this:

Proverbs 10:4, KJV: "He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich."

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Take any job - ever notice the GOP gets quiet when you bring up people working full-time jobs but still require some form of welfare? To them more important than getting off welfare is filling low-wage jobs because that contributes to the profits at the top. Paying people more means less profit. It's just that simple.

"Worker shortages" as a result of people being lazy is propaganda that has been used by those at the top for centuries. I posted in another thread that during the black plague the European governments imposed a wage freeze. They didn't want the general population to gain a competitive edge due to all the jobs left open from the dead. So the government decided that shit pay will remain shit pay. No employer can offer more. Take it or leave it.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Take any job - ever notice the GOP gets quiet when you bring up people working full-time jobs but still require some form of welfare? To them more important than getting off welfare is filling low-wage jobs because that contributes to the profits at the top. Paying people more means less profit. It's just that simple.
Agree. Interestingly America's golden age came with low skilled jobs offering livable wages even for single earner households with children along with concurrently affordable education. The latter is paramount because education is the prime force in upward mobility in society.

"Worker shortages" as a result of people being lazy is propaganda that has been used by those at the top for centuries. I posted in another thread that during the black plague the European governments imposed a wage freeze. They didn't want the general population to gain a competitive edge due to all the jobs left open from the dead. So the government decided that shit pay will remain shit pay. No employer can offer more. Take it or leave it.
I'm not sure if this makes sense. Feudalism didn't really come with "wages".

OTOH, I think America's attitude towards low-skilled labor was really shaped by slavery even in the North. When workers were needed, Black migrating from South to North were used as a bargaining chip by employers to keep enforce shitty working hours and wages by claiming the "Negroes [who were conditioned to slave labor even past the abolition of slavery] would do it for less". BTW, if one think about how in cities like Chicago or NY the north-migrating Blacks were offered lower quality housing, at higher cost to be afforded by lower paying jobs, you can understand how these families became so vulnerable to the crack epidemic.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree. Interestingly America's golden age came with low skilled jobs offering livable wages even for single earner households with children along with concurrently affordable education. The latter is paramount because education is the prime force in upward mobility in society.

I'm not sure if this makes sense. Feudalism didn't really come with "wages".

OTOH, I think America's attitude towards low-skilled labor was really shaped by slavery even in the North. When workers were needed, Black migrating from South to North were used as a bargaining chip by employers to keep enforce shitty working hours and wages by claiming the "Negroes [who were conditioned to slave labor even past the abolition of slavery] would do it for less". BTW, if one think about how in cities like Chicago or NY the north-migrating Blacks were offered lower quality housing, at higher cost to be afforded by lower paying jobs, you can understand how these families became so vulnerable to the crack epidemic.

I've come to the conclusion that a large percentage of Americans didn't just magically become dumber. They were always there, but largely made docile through well paid low skill jobs....which we outsourced to other countries and robots.

"Get a degree!" is just another strawman distraction. We already don't have enough well paying jobs for people with a college degree. Having even more people with degrees isn't going to solve that. Hey, I know. Let's tell people they now need a masters to be a janitor. It's all your fault because you don't have enough of an education. Give us at least another 4 years of that while we come up with another excuse of how you are the problem.

lizkat

elite pita
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personal responsibility is a terrific personal principle but also a terrible societal policy.

It can definitely turn out that way. Depends at least in part on whether our own idea of personal responsibility comes with a sense of obligation to the most vulnerable amongst us, or whether we foist that off with talk that's more about self reliance and bootstrapping our own way to success. The more people who subscribe to the latter idea, the more that elected officials will represent such a focus in Congress and so to the "terrible societal policy".

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same distribution, LOL
I've come to the conclusion that a large percentage of Americans didn't just magically become dumber. They were always there, but largely made docile through well paid low skill jobs....which we outsourced to other countries and robots.
Agree 100%.

"Get a degree!" is just another strawman distraction. We already don't have enough well paying jobs for people with a college degree. Having even more people with degrees isn't going to solve that. Hey, I know. Let's tell people they now need a masters to be a janitor. It's all your fault because you don't have enough of an education. Give us at least another 4 years of that while we come up with another excuse of how you are the problem.
This is partially true.
1) Generally higher education comes with better chances of success even if the education level of the entire society is raised. To give you an example, people better understanding of their political interests vote in people who represent such interests better.
2) If you want a degree directly contributing to your own success, you need it in a field that has a high demand. Where the disconnect emerged is that the USA should have coupled the outsourcing of jobs to education that allows a larger segment of society to contribute to the intellectual aspects of production. Instead what happened is the tuition bubble (it is a bubble).

It can definitely turn out that way. Depends at least in part on whether our own idea of personal responsibility comes with a sense of obligation to the most vulnerable amongst us, or whether we foist that off with talk that's more about self reliance and bootstrapping our own way to success. The more people who subscribe to the latter idea, the more that elected officials will represent such a focus in Congress and so to the "terrible societal policy".
I derive my opinion from public health stuff, and TBH poverty at this point is a public health issue. So I expect myself and family to be in decent shape, but soda taxes do work to reduce obesity, personal responsibility does not.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same distribution, LOL

Agree 100%.

This is partially true.
1) Generally higher education comes with better chances of success even if the education level of the entire society is raised. To give you an example, people better understanding of their political interests vote in people who represent such interests better.
2) If you want a degree directly contributing to your own success, you need it in a field that has a high demand. Where the disconnect emerged is that the USA should have coupled the outsourcing of jobs to education that allows a larger segment of society to contribute to the intellectual aspects of production. Instead what happened is the tuition bubble (it is a bubble).

I derive my opinion from public health stuff, and TBH poverty at this point is a public health issue. So I expect myself and family to be in decent shape, but soda taxes do work to reduce obesity, personal responsibility does not.

I don’t believe in the deep state as in government run pedophile rings, but I do believe there are unelected high level career people in government who work in concert with big business and when they project a problem from the masses down the road their job is to pull the wool over our eyes and create low level scapegoats so they can continue business as usual. Kicking out all the illegals and everybody getting a college degree isn’t going to solve the problem or come anywhere near, not to mention not even in the realm of possible.

I know people on the right see this too, but the problem is it’s way too easy for you to get them to take their eye off the eight ball and move it to the manufactured scapegoats and then we're back in the gutters fighting ourselves again.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t believe in the deep state as in government run pedophile rings, but I do believe there are unelected high level career people in government who work in concert with big business and when they project a problem from the masses down the road their job is to pull the wool over our eyes and create low level scapegoats so they can continue business as usual. Kicking out all the illegals and everybody getting a college degree isn’t going to solve the problem or come anywhere near, not to mention not even in the realm of possible.

I know people on the right see this too, but the problem is it’s way too easy for you to get them to take their eye off the eight ball and move it to the manufactured scapegoats and then we're back in the gutters fighting ourselves again.

Which is why I am torn on term limits. All it would do is increase unelected bureaucrats power which is not a good thing. On the other hand, allowing the same people to be elected over and over prevents new ideas and ways of thinking from being introduced.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which is why I am torn on term limits. All it would do is increase unelected bureaucrats power which is not a good thing. On the other hand, allowing the same people to be elected over and over prevents new ideas and ways of thinking from being introduced.

Personally I think there should be SOME term limit and age cap. It seems like most of people in Congress right now either peaked socially on their middle school lunch break or on the first day they took office the most common mode of transportation was a covered wagon. Idiocy shouldn’t be given longevity and world views that were developed 50+ years ago shouldn’t be making the rules now.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

In the past I was employed by the fed gov, my experience was the opposite. Everybody was worried about getting into trouble for something. I've not experienced the "shadow government" you're referring to. Though if you're referring to high-level corruption you should look for it in Congress and revolving doors.

A college degree is just proof that one did a prolonged exercise in critical reading. A master's degree is proof that one did a prolonged exercise in critical writing, and a PhD is proof that somebody went thru the hoops to create knew knowledge. People can perform just fine on all three of these levels without a proof of such exercises, but it actually takes an especially motivated and/or smart person to do all these without a preset training plan.

We live longer, we remain fertile longer and we accumulated more knowledge...and we should stay in school longer and it shouldn't be treated as a luxury.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
In the past I was employed by the fed gov, my experience was the opposite. Everybody was worried about getting into trouble for something. I've not experienced the "shadow government" you're referring to. Though if you're referring to high-level corruption you should look for it in Congress and revolving doors.
I agree. The politicians want you to believe this so you’ll ignore their corruption, IMHO. The “behind the scenes” people who are troublesome are generally political appointees with a nefarious agenda. Scott Pruitt heading up the EPA for example... or Stephen Miller coming up with the idea to separate kids from their parents. Truly disgusting people.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. The politicians want you to believe this so you’ll ignore their corruption, IMHO. The “behind the scenes” people who are troublesome are generally political appointees with a nefarious agenda. Scott Pruitt heading up the EPA for example... or Stephen Miller coming up with the idea to separate kids from their parents. Truly disgusting people.
Or placing a pharma lobbyist to lead HHS...

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I think this covers what I'm referring to

Also, I don't think you need to dig too deep now into our last 20 years in Afghanistan to find all the lies we were told to gain support and keep us there. Those lies covered multiple presidencies and party control, lies perpetrated by people who weren't elected and were in positions of power the entire time. There's no reason to believe the same template isn't used on economic matters.

Last edited:

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personal responsibility is a terrific personal principle but also a terrible societal policy.
It’s the usual Right Wing simplistic BS don’t bother us with your social issues platitudes. “Take any job” is the solution, haha. And “Finish school” (easy to say) reveals either a con job, or complete lack of understanding of what it means to live in poverty growing up If you are likely in an unstable home environment, and the schools available to you are underfunded.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this covers what I'm referring to

Also, I don't think you need to dig too deep now into our last 20 years in Afghanistan to find all the lies we were told to gain support and keep us there. Those lies covered multiple presidencies and party control, lies perpetrated by people who weren't elected and were in positions of power the entire time. There's no reason to believe the same template isn't used on economic matters.
Oh, so you're talking about the military-industrial complex. I mean there was a reason many of us found Bush unbearably stupid. He was full of shit about all of these invasions. It's also hilarious to some extent and these will keep on happening: there's short term political benefit and the long term consequences can be pushed to a successor.

It’s the usual Right Wing simplistic BS don’t bother us with your social issues platitudes. “Take any job” is the solution, haha. And “Finish school” (easy to say) reveals either a con job, or complete lack of understanding of what it means to live in poverty growing up If you are likely in an unstable home environment, and the schools available to you are underfunded.
Exactly. If the goal is to fix issues the "take any job and finish school" arguments don't fix anything. But for many people the idea is exactly that there need to be people who are significantly worse off than them.

Top Bottom