Disney vs. DeSantis

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Here's the scoop with Disney vs. DeSantis as I understand it:

In 1967 governor, Claude Kirk established the Reedy Creek Improvement District, that's the ~40 sq/miles of the Disney property.

For tax purposes - and they do pay pay property taxes - it's part of Orange County and they additionally use the Orange County Sheriff department for law enforcement (they do not have their own "police", just private, local to the property security like any resort). They do have their own fire department, manage their own power, water, and waste/recycling and maintain their own infrastructure (and I believe they also have contracts for local city services as well, like supplemental fire, EMT, etc.) They're complaint with local codes and federal guidelines, they're not like some totally autonomous entity.

They employ 80K people on the property, and drive a huge amount of revenue through all the adjacent areas (while also saving them money on not having to spend local dollars for support services they Disney does themselves).

Disney is a monstrous corporation, but at least in terms of RCID, it's a very mutually beneficial model.

Basically DeSantis, is a an intolerant, corrupt piece of shit, who is doing this out of spite because Disney showed support for LGBTQ + people (though Disney did have to back peddle a good bit and we're late to the show. Like @JayMysteri0 said, "Do better Disney").

Jackie Toledo, a Republican from Tampa actually said: "Once upon a time Disney was a great partner with the state of Florida, we've granted them privileges because of our shared history, shared goals and shared successes. Shamefully, Disney betrayed us."

Betrayed? For flying some rainbow flags? Fuck you.

A few articles to fill in the gaps:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Disney has 80K employees. No way RCID has as many,

I'm more or less using Disney and RCID interchangeably, I'm not sure what RCID has (in terms of resource/people), that's completely independent from Disney, and I'm not sure there's any value in drawing a distinction given the nature of the bill.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds like the state would have to take on all of those services and they're not ready for it.
The Reedy Creek Improvement District is one of six districts the bill would eliminate. It stretches 25,000 acres and oversees its own land use and environmental protections as well as provides essential public services such as emergency medical services and fire protection.

Trumpism at its worst, dive in head first with zero plan in place to cover that entire district, just to stick it to 'em.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
After all this time, I don't these protestors still get it.

If you are buying the merchandise of whatever it is your protesting, your protest isn't really that effective.

Hahaha, this group of replies says it best ... :ROFLMAO:

1650561458385.png

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This is going to be a Greg Abbott-like move: a publicity stunt that backfired and causes magnitudes more headaches for people, oftentimes more for those you weren’t even targeting.

It’s just revenge policy, it’s DeSantis grandstanding and using petty culture wars to rile the rubes up. Politics has devolved into some WWE-like world with people in suits arguing instead of wrestling.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This change is going to lead to massive tax increases for people that live near Disney’s property.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Interesting comment (from the article above):

Other reporting on this has stated that a special district can’t be dissolved without a majority vote of the landowners within it, which in this case is just Disney. I’m not an expert on Florida districting law, and I’m wary of such confident pronouncements on something that’s going to get kicked to a conservative judiciary, but at least one Democrat voting against this was more exasperated with how unlikely the state was to prevail after all the court battles than worried about the consequences of it actually happening.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This change is going to lead to massive tax increases for people that live near Disney’s property.

Yeah apparently Florida can't do what they want to do without paying off the huge bond debt that was incurred at time of the deal.

The law passed by the Republican Legislature on a largely party-line vote, and signed into law by the Republican governor, either violates the contract clause of the Florida Constitution, or is incomplete, Schumer told the Herald/Times on Tuesday. If the Legislature wants to dismantle the Reedy Creek Improvement District, it has more work to do. “It simply can’t go forward under the contract clause,’‘ he said. “They would have to pass something to address this.” Schumer noted that the bill dissolving Reedy Creek doesn’t say what should happen to its debts, but another state law requires that by default the county assumes a district’s debt along with all of its assets when it is dissolved. “This means that theoretically, Orange and Osceola counties will inherit upward of $1 billion in bond debt,’’ he wrote in the Bloomberg Tax article.

Top Bottom
1 2