DIY Thread

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If there is a thread here already on this topic please merge.

I’ve got a clogged bathtub drain. Our adult grandson has been using this bathroom while living with us. About 2 years ago it was an issue, I went though many step, and finally put a snake down the drain, from the vent above the bottom drain, and I remember the clog being below the trap and I could punch holes through it with the rotary snake, kind of fixed it, but not completely. I think it’s hair and am going to attack it again. Any suggestions for this time around? I think if the soul problem was in the trap it would be easier to correct. And no I don’t want to think about roots hai g gotten into the drain, at least not yet. No other drain in the house has any issues in this department,

I found this: https://plumbertip.com/drain-clogged-with-hair/

D

Deleted member 199

I ordered a drill press today.... or yesterday? I don't remember actually.... Hurray for filling a tool "shed" with stuff when you're already planning to leave!

D

Deleted member 199

Still ordering stuff for the shed.. a little 4" bench vice, plus some heavy duty (~400kg/800lb) casters and a bit of extra timber for a movable workbench.

The really interesting part will be when we actually start dealing with moving. Including timber in the container is definitely going to slow down the process of shipping it at the other end - but as it's all processed wood, I don't think there's actually anything that would be forbidden, so at most they may want to fumigate the stuff (not sure how many creatures they expect to be living in vanished timber but hey what do I know).. Being able to take all the shelving/benches with us would be a big bonus to me - both because we can re-use them at the other end, and because I'll get the satisfaction of pulling out everything that isn't bolted down, and then most of the stuff that is bolted down.

D

Deleted member 199

So because I refuse to compromise until we do move, and I had most of the timber from a planned-but-abandoned timber cat patio thing (they’re gonna get a much bigger one made of steel due to being in the weather) today I started making a workbench that will end up on some massively over-spec casters, (because what kind of DIY would it be if things weren’t over engineered “just in case”).

still debating in my head if putting a router plate/lift in it at one end is going to be useful enough to warrant the parts/effort.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
So because I refuse to compromise until we do move, and I had most of the timber from a planned-but-abandoned timber cat patio thing (they’re gonna get a much bigger one made of steel due to being in the weather) today I started making a workbench that will end up on some massively over-spec casters, (because what kind of DIY would it be if things weren’t over engineered “just in case”).

still debating in my head if putting a router plate/lift in it at one end is going to be useful enough to warrant the parts/effort.
I put a plate right in the center of my Paulk-style workbench (probably bad placement, but I didn't know what I was doing at the time – still probably don't). It has come in handy. I'd love to have a lift, but, damn, those are expensive.

I'm working on a pergola for our back patio right now. It is taking forever because life is always in the way, and I'm a procrastinator, and I have a very specific vision. Someday it will be done.

D

Deleted member 199

I put a plate right in the center of my Paulk-style workbench (probably bad placement, but I didn't know what I was doing at the time – still probably don't). It has come in handy. I'd love to have a lift, but, damn, those are expensive.

I'm working on a pergola for our back patio right now. It is taking forever because life is always in the way, and I'm a procrastinator, and I have a very specific vision. Someday it will be done.
For a while I did think "oh yeah a lift would be useful", but yeah, a 'proper' lift is fucking expensive. I don't even know if the 'proper' ones are available here, even if I did want to spend 5x what my little trim/palm router cost me. I found one on the local equivalent of Amazon (also from China, no idea if it's an actual brand name there or not), for ฿12,800 (~US$400). My router cost me ฿2,500 ($75). That's ridiculously expensive for what it is. I probably spend a lot more on tools than my DIY-ing justifies (I'm still waiting for the day my wife asks why I bought a drill press, and why neither the 220v corded hammer drill nor the 12v cordless drill nor the 12v cordless hammer drill was sufficient), but even I draw the line somewhere.

There's a bunch of plates available here (also from China) for a "DIY" lift (essentially an extra hole pre-drilled in the top plate + a long section of threaded rod, designed to compress the action of a plunge router, so it essentially plunges up). And I briefly considered buying one (a plunge router) to make that work, and just keep the little one for stuff that's too cumbersome to get up onto a bench. I also considered getting one of these plates and DIY-ing the lift mechanism using a couple of linear rails + a lead screw (CNC-type parts are really easy to find here) and using them with a little bracket to hold the palm router.

But what's also available are even smaller plates - they're essentially just a bit bigger than the regular 'base' of a palm router. Given that I'm as likely to want to use it for something cumbersome as I am for something that's doable on the bench - and especially as I am by no means a "wood worker" - I think I'm probably likely to just get one of these plates, and combine with an extra (i.e. ordered as a spare part) clamp/base from Bosch, so if I want it in the table, undo the single screw on the 'portable' base and stick it into the base attached to the little plate, and do up one screw. If I want it hand-held, do the reverse.

Oh believe me. I have a fucking list of stuff I want to get done. I took a month off at the end of 2020, hoping to just get a heap of this stuff done.

I did make progress - certainly more than if I hadn't taken the time off. But god damn. 6 months later some of that stuff still isn't done.

Top Bottom
1 2