Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, just... no.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
There seems to be a prevailing stereotype that liberals don’t own firearms. We, as a nation, have the highest gun ownership rate in the world. There is a gun for every man, woman and child in this country. Logically, some of those guns must be in the hands of liberals. The closest second is some country in Europe, that I cannot remember of the top of my head, with something like 3/10 people owning a firearm.

Do you own a firearm? If so, why?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do not. I like the idea of owning one for a dire emergency but never get around to it. I went shooting with a friend recently and he has an insane arsenal; shit that should be outlawed. It‘s fun for a bit but gun ownership isn’t compelling for me.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
The closest second is some country in Europe
Apparently after the US (120 per 100) it is the Falkland Islands. (62 per 100)

Highest in Europe is Montenegro… Finland…
Do you own a firearm? If so, why?
No.
Never have.

The gun ownership rate in the UK (where I live) is something like 5 per 100.
Oh and contrary to what people in the US think, no we don't all run around with huge knives either. ;)

Edit:
I am by no means a pacifist snowflake… if push comes to shove there are plenty of ways I can defend myself and the ones I care about.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Oh and contrary to what people in the US think, n we don't all run around with huge knives either. ;)

Same around here with guns. The more usual approach to four-legged provocateurs of the rabid sort is call a farming neighbor or animal control. As far as the two-legged variety, well... you gotta be nuts to go up on someone's porch in the boondocks without having been invited. The rate of rural gun ownership is high enough that such a move has odds of death far higher than a coin flip. Higher enough that a lot of porch owners bank on it and skip the hassle of owning a gun.

I own a temper, which does not go well with firearms.

Yeah I have a slow fuse but it's attached to what amounts to pretty good plastique.

That is not the only reason I don't own a gun but it's enough of one.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I see it as a personal preference and don't hold it against anyone, it's not for me however.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In today‘s political climate, I would describe myself as liberal. I promote gun regulations because it’s not that hard to understand guns are a huge problem. I gave my shotgun to my son. I have a handgun given to me by my Dad, locked in a safe for the coming revolution. I would have been smarter to hang onto my shotgun. :oops:
I was a sharp shooter in the USN, targets only.

Still I could chuckle seeing an ad embedded in this thread for: Tritium Red Dot Sights, 30% Brighter athan Other sights.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In today‘s political climate, I would describe myself as liberal. I promote gun regulations because it’s not that hard to understand guns are a huge problem. I gave my shotgun to my son. I have a handgun given to me by my Dad, locked in a safe for the coming revolution. I would have been smarter to hang onto my shotgun. :oops:

Still I could chuckle seeing an ad embedded in this thread for: Tritium Red Dot Sights, 30% Brighter athan Other sights.
My son also has a shotgun, he also has a Glock that he really likes.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a pistol. After being trained to use it at the local police academy, I was then praised by our local FBI for my marksmanship. It is a hand-eye coordination skill that is fairly easy for women. I like target shooting. I’m also a very competitive person in general. I do not take it out of the house unless I’m a) going to the range, or b) taking a road trip alone. I don’t own it for protection. I don’t plan on ever ending the life of a person or animal.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score

No.
Never have.

Oh and contrary to what people in the US think, no we don't all run around with huge knives either. ;)

Edit:
I am by no means a pacifist snowflake… if push comes to shove there are plenty of ways I can defend myself and the ones I care about.

The “pacifist snowflake” is there to make you guys chuckle. It’s how the far-right sees us.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The “pacifist snowflake” is there to make you guys chuckle. It’s how the far-right sees us.
There was no simple option for "No" so I didn't vote, don't want to be associated with a snowflake just because I don't own one. :D

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a pistol. After being trained to use it at the local police academy, I was then praised by our local FBI for my marksmanship. It is a hand-eye coordination skill that is fairly easy for women. I like target shooting. I’m also a very competitive person in general. I do not take it out of the house unless I’m a) going to the range, or b) taking a road trip alone. I don’t own it for protection. I don’t plan on ever ending the life of a person or animal.

This pretty much describes me. I’ve grown up with guns as a kid. Haven’t owned one until fairly recently. I train with it on regular basis and happen to be a good shot. At home, it’s locked in a case. Ammo is locked in a separate case. I have a 9mm and this week will be buying a .22 as 9mm ammo is getting ridiculously expensive and hard to find.

Also, with all do respect, nothing beats the hand/eye coordination of men. I mean, come on... We can not only maintain our eyes on the screen but also work the mouse while “coordinating” with the hand :ROFLMAO:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, with all do respect, nothing beats the hand/eye coordination of men. I mean, come on... We can not only maintain our eyes on the screen but also work the mouse while “coordinating” with the hand :ROFLMAO:
1604347550377.png

U

User.45

No.
Never have.

Edit:
Oh. Let's not even get into how it turned out for the former Yugoslavia.

Didn't know about Finland, but it explains why - as I recall - they have the highest rate of school shootings in Europe.

If guns improved public safety, the USA would be the safest place in the Milky Way. Of course, to avoid being hypocritical, as a 6'3" 220 pound male it's probably much easier for me to oppose guns. But I consider guns the shortest way to escalate conflicts to the most extreme and the people I consider mature enough to own a gun also wouldn't really need a gun to diffuse situations. It's paradoxical.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
To answer the question: yes, I own firearms. That's as much as I'll ever speak about them. I don't stroke them lovingly, post photos on message boards, obsess with the specifications, I treat them as the deadly weapons that they are, keep them properly secured and do not carry them outside of my home.

Top Bottom
1 2