Do you think crime is more or less prevalent in your town/neighborhood than in the past?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing an article years ago that said most burglaries happen on a Wednesday at 11am. It’s a reference to burglars not wanting to be disturbed in the act and most people are at work at that time. Come to think of it, it’s rare that people actually get burgled while they are in. It’s extra stress a burglar doesn’t need I suppose and let’s face it, they don’t carry guns here so the confidence is much lower.
With more people WFH I’d imagine there are less burglaries than ever. Even if you don’t, your neighbour might be in! It’s rare for Mrs AFB to be out when I’m at work. Apart from her weekly pilgrimage to Aldi.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
especially when they're posting about things that they've heard about but actually didn't happen

I think they happen, but before when the only way to know how many arrests had been made for say Petit Larceny, was to read the police blotter. That is an active process. Now they just show up in your newsfeed whether you want them to or not. A passive process.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
I think they happen, but before when the only way to know how many arrests had been made for say Petit Larceny, was to read the police blotter. That is an active process. Now they just show up in your newsfeed whether you want them to or not. A passive process.

Actual news media postings certainly have an impact, but I think that "perceptions" are more influenced by people posting things online based on word of mouth chatter as opposed to any real knowledge of anything

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I suppose neighborhood/town can be somewhat subjective, as is the time constraint, but hasn’t San Francisco had a huge shoplifting problem? I suppose if stealing <$950 is decriminalized, then it’s not really a crime?

It's not decriminalized, rather it's the dividing line between misdemeanor and a felony theft.

...which is actually less than what it is in Tennessee. Hence my confusion over the outrage that particular law has caused.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's not decriminalized, rather it's the dividing line between misdemeanor and a felony theft.

...which is actually less than what it is in Tennessee. Hence my confusion over the outrage that particular law has caused.

But does TN still prosecute those misdemeanors? I think the issue is that law enforcement in general (both police and DA's) don't have the time or inclination to investigate/prosecute them only to see them back on the street in a week.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It’s part of the “them Californians sure be some commie weirdos!” narrative.
Agreed. And the immediate response to that post shows that narrative is at the forefront of many minds. There is an assumption that Tennessee prosecutes misdemeanor shoplifting more aggressively than California... because... well I’m sure you can fill in the blanks.

Also, Tennessee has multiple ways of handling misdemeanor shoplifting cases that result in no jail time. Often, simply giving restitution to the store you stole from can cause the entire matter to be dropped.

Again, when it comes to some of these issues, perception is not equal to reality, it is greater than reality.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this a case of increased visibility rather than increased incidents? What I mean is Glasgow where I am has a reputation for rivalling Gotham City for violent crime rates. I am not sure it is getting worse, just that we are more aware of it thanks to instant news and social media. I mean I hope as a society we are becoming more humane and fewer are resorting to crime, but the recent cost of living increases will be making desperate people more desperate. I fear the less fortunate among us who want the brands, the logos, the names will be drawn into ever more risky ways of acquiring materialistic items and so the pessimist in me suspects we are in for an increase in petty crime at least in the near future.

Top Bottom
1 2