Does anyone else fight with spelling and punctuation correction while posting?

Edd

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use iOS devices exclusively while on this site so that might have something to do with it but I frequently battle with the software posting. It tries to capitalize shit that shouldn’t be and vice versa. Corrects spelling incorrectly and generally pisses me off. It’s not Talked About specifically because I’m on another forum using the same platform and I have identical problems over there.

Anyone else experience this?

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I use iOS devices exclusively while on this site so that might have something to do with it but I frequently battle with the software posting. It tries to capitalize shit that shouldn’t be and vice versa. Corrects spelling incorrectly and generally pisses me off. It’s not Talked About specifically because I’m on another forum using the same platform and I have identical problems over there.

All the time and it's always frustrating no matter what platform I'm on when using my iPhone, it takes liberties where it shouldn't most of the time and I would prefer to go back and fix my own mistakes, a simple underline works for me.

Edd

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do think it’s something specific about the forum platform (or whatever you call it). I don’t fight like this with messaging and other tasks. First world problem obviously, but nice to hear you guys are annoyed too 😁.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I fight with my hands and my iOS and spellcheckers. sometimes I lose track of what I am saying trying to fix what I said (G) sometimes I can't even tell what the hell I wrote.
One thing I miss about my older iPhone 10 is force touch, it made editing so much easier. Now anytime I try to move my cursor around it's always clumsy at best and I end up just erasing entire words or sections and re-typing as a result. They definitely took a step backwards with that one.

fooferdoggie

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I miss about my older iPhone 10 is force touch, it made editing so much easier. Now anytime I try to move my cursor around it's always clumsy at best and I end up just erasing entire words or sections and re-typing as a result. They definitely took a step backwards with that one.
I know it sucks. editing is really bad. my blind wife suffers from Siri induced errors so much.

Alli

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do near everything with the ASK on my iPad, and I still fight a lot. Not just here on the forums either.

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The answer to the question posed in the thread title is "yes".

And - in this context - "fight" is a good choice of verb.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
This forum software does have a few quirks on iPad; normally holding down the delete key will start slow and then go faster, deleting entire words at a time. On this site (and MR forums), the deletion actually hits a certain point and then slows down drastically. It’s as if the native software is now trying to delete a word at a time, but the forum software is interpreting that as a letter at a time, so it’s a mess. It also messes with autocorrect because if you backspace into a word to fix an error, the iPad seems to think you’ve now started a new word. For example, I type fighting, and I miss the last 3 letters and go back, but then autocorrect thinks I am typing “ing” which it sees as an error, replacing it with “in” instead.

This doesn’t seem to happen in the text field on other sites, so it might be a quirk with XenForo.

Huntn

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Always! I want an alert when I’ve typed something not recognized, but am infuriated when spellcheck produces gibberish, or I’m only 1 or 2 letters off and it can’t figure out my desired word. :)

Yoused

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have this iPad app called "Penquills" which is a nice handwriting recognition text editor that lets you scrawl your thoughts out on the screen, turning them into printed text. It is a bit quirky of course, but there is none of that autocorrect BS. Right now, I am using the handwriting keyboard that is packaged with it, which works pretty will and forces me to think about what I am writing.

Curiously, a human would likely struggle to read the cursive chickenscratch that this handwriting engine seems to prefer. I had a Newton years ago that liked my illegible scrawl in much the same way.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I have this iPad app called "Penquills" which is a nice handwriting recognition text editor that lets you scrawl your thoughts out on the screen, turning them into printed text. It is a bit quirky of course, but there is none of that autocorrect BS. Right now, I am using the handwriting keyboard that is packaged with it, which works pretty will and forces me to think about what I am writing.

Curiously, a human would likely struggle to read the cursive chickenscratch that this handwriting engine seems to prefer. I had a Newton years ago that liked my illegible scrawl in much the same way.
I have a pencil for my iPad and I can write on the screen with it which I am doing for this post. Actually, it works better than I thought!. this is using the iOS 14 default software.

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I do find that often when I want to start a new paragraph, my iPhone capitalizes the first letter if I drop down one line.
Like this.

But I don't type paragraphs like that, and almost nobody does. However, here's what happens if I try to start a new paragraph two lines down.

it starts the new paragraph like this.

I don't understand that, except that iOS and Xenforo apparently don't talk to each other very well.

Top Bottom