Does anyone here have an issue with teaching or even discussing CRT?

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
That would be Critical Race Theory, my impression, basically a critical examination of how racism is entwined in our society, and not limited to the USA.

I have no issues with it and think that the pushback to having such a discussion is the equivalent of “just don’t talk about or teach it because it makes me or my children uncomfortable”.

What about the the Holocaust, should that be taught? How about the Tulsa Massacre? Maybe that and all “uncomfortable” topics should banned as subjects to be taught? 👀

Edd

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Zero problem with it, it’s important.

I speculate Tucker or one of his clones snagged it as the latest friction point to rile the base. This’ll never end, one boogeyman after another. CRT isn’t new.

MissNomer

Schrödingered
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's like also teaching about LGBT issues - the religious whites hate these things because it jeopardizes their ability to be the master fucking race.

Dog forbid we should teach our kids real history and that the USA was never the White Picket fences of a Normal Rockwell painting.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The anti-CRT laws specifically prohibit the teaching of anything that makes people uncomfortable.

From the Texas law, the following is forbidden:
an individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of the individual's race or sex;

Think for a minute how stupid such a law is....

Have you thought for a minute? Congratulations! You thought about it longer than the people who actually wrote the law.

MissNomer

Schrödingered
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The anti-CRT laws specifically prohibit the teaching of anything that makes people uncomfortable.

From the Texas law, the following is forbidden:

Think for a minute how stupid such a law is....

Have you thought for a minute? Congratulations! You thought about it longer than the people who actually wrote the law.

Jesus H Christ - and they call the liberals "Snowflakes".

Fun Fact: The first known usage of the Term "Snowflake" was in 1860 talking about those who opposed the abolition of Slavery, the term was used because they valued white people over blacks...

Pumbaa

Conversational Warthog
Vaccinated
Reaction score
What about math? They’re indoctrinating kids with Arabic numerals! Makes me very uncomfortable! /s

Just curious: Has anyone encountered a critic of CRT that actually has any clue whatsoever as to what CRT is?

MissNomer

Schrödingered
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
What about math? They’re indoctrinating kids with Arabic numerals! Makes me very uncomfortable! /s

Just curious: Has anyone encountered a critic of CRT that actually has any clue whatsoever as to what CRT is?

Given that most of the time, just like with Trans sports and voting, the GOP is creating rules and laws to fix totally non-existent problems.

The GOP doesn't want to fix any real issues - they just want to make it illegal to be different. And we're the Communists?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
In recent times (past 5ish years more or less), I've joked that you should have a certain level of intelligence before you're allowed to vote. But I realize that kind of goes against the constitution.

But determining what's taught in our schools? I know of no such restriction there. At a bare minimum, if you don't have a high school diploma, you should be told to sit your ignorant ass back down. What's taught in our schools should not be controlled by those who can't spell school. I'm a college graduate and I don't feel qualified to criticize their choices. I'd offer up an opinion on math and computers perhaps, but beyond that, ask someone who knows what they're talking about. And even then, I was laughing at some of this "new math" that was a big deal a few years back until I looked into it. I do believe they were right and I was wrong. So even with a degree in mathematics, my knee-jerk reaction was wrong on that too. I'm not an educator and I'm honestly not super qualified to speak about what they do and how they do it.

So to keep it simple for those who can't spell simple, my opinion is we should teach truths and not lies. That seems logical and appropriate regardless of the topic.

From what I know about actual CRT, I'd guess 99% of the people tossing that term about live up on Mt Stupid.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I will say while I'm against teaching lies, I'm ok with hiding the truth sometimes. For example...

It was high school chemistry class. I learned a ton that day.

I probably learned something about chemistry
I learned that a small amount of kerosene in the bottom of a lab sink makes a neat fire
I learned kerosene floats on water
I learned you can't use the facet to extinguish the fire due to the previous revelation
I learned your clueless teacher grading papers at the front of the room will eventually catch on
I learned that for some bizarre reason, he hosted his own private detention
I learned that he had some cool chemistry books to browse during detention
I learned one of those books had the formula for nitro glycerin (another co-fireman was the one who found it and told the room)

Would Barry have used that formula for evil? Certainly not. Was it the right call to hide the book? In that situation, at that point in time? Almost certainly so. This was a couple years ago, back before we had the internet. These days probably grade school kids could find the formula. So it seems silly now. But back than, I'd say he was just being responsible. :ROFLMAO:

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I will say while I'm against teaching lies, I'm ok with hiding the truth sometimes. For example...

I learned that a small amount of kerosene in the bottom of a lab sink makes a neat fire
I learned you can't use the facet to extinguish the fire due to the previous revelation
I learned your clueless teacher grading papers at the front of the room will eventually catch on
I learned one of those books had the formula for nitro glycerin (another co-fireman was the one who found it and told the room)

Would Barry have used that formula for evil? Certainly not. Was it the right call to hide the book? In that situation, at that point in time? Almost certainly so. This was a couple years ago, back before we had the internet. These days probably grade school kids could find the formula. So it seems silly now. But back than, I'd say he was just being responsible. :ROFLMAO:
When I was in high school, I saw in a textbook something about sulfuric acid and dextrose being a reaction resulting in a big lump of carbon. So I asked the teacher if I could try it, and I don’t think she was listening that carefully, so she said fine.

Well, what you don’t experience in the video is that it gets extremely hot, and the smell is extremely noxious to the point where the entire wing of the school thought there was a fire and was going to evacuate. And it was so hot that we had to find extra-large tongs to lift the sizable beaker I’d done it in to put it outside the window until the reaction fizzled out on its own.

Edd

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

Who’s Barry now?

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of complaining about CRT from the right. So far, the only teaching of CRT in K-12 that I can find is in training sessions for teachers.

So, if there is a concern, why not start with requiring a training session that offers an opposing perspective? Why go 10 steps farther and try and legislate against things that there is no evidence of them being taught to kids in the first place?

Would anybody here be opposed to that? I realize such an opposing perspective class could be offensive to some teachers, but it would solve the problem of the GOP thinking this is unfair without a bunch of draconian laws dictating what history cannot be taught.

Last edited:

lizkat

elite pita
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't. Most of them think it Marxist indoctrination that teaches children to hate white people.

Anything with a more complicated set of facts than that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west is apparently suspect any more, for whatever reason aside from the fact that "nuance" went out of style even before "bipartisanship" went down that road.

More facts:

most people may think the word "critical" relates to a negative rather than analytical process.​
a lot of people hear the word "race" nowadays and think "OK I see where this is going and so we're done here".​
another shedload of people hear the word "theory" and figure that all common sense just departed the room.​

So I'd suggest that a rational discussion of "critical race theory" in the USA may well be doomed before it begins.

And yeah I blame Fox News.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it being taught, but think it also depends on when. There are reasons we don't teach kindergartners about sex and economics. I'm not saying we should allow kids to be ignorant racists up to a certain age group, but I think this subject does take some maturity to fully comprehend productively and I also think part of that is how it is presented by the teacher otherwise you are going to get kids who miss the point or get the wrong message out of it.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it being taught, but think it also depends on when. There are reasons we don't teach kindergartners about sex and economics. I'm not saying we should allow kids to be ignorant racists up to a certain age group, but I think this subject does take some maturity to fully comprehend productively and I also think part of that is how it is presented by the teacher otherwise you are going to get kids who miss the point or get the wrong message out of it.
Considering that teaching CRT to the teachers is what’s happening now, how would you feel if the right-wing complaints were acknowledged by offering an equal amount of training about a different/opposing theory? I’m not talking about training tailored to attack CRT, but a differing theory.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of complaining about CRT from the right. So far, the only teaching of CRT in K-12 that I can find is in training sessions for teachers.

So, if there is a concern, why not start with requiring a training session that offers an opposing perspective? Why go 10 steps farther and try and legislate against things that there is no evidence of them being taught to kids in the first place?

Would anybody here be opposed to that? I realize such an opposing perspective class could be offensive to some teachers, but it would solve the problem of the GOP thinking this is unfair without a bunch of draconian laws dictating what history cannot be taught.
As far as I know these actions banning CRT is outlawing history Lessons. So we are banning uncomfortable history now? 🤬

This is all part of the GOP doing down inflames, possibly trying to take the country with them, anti-democrati, anti-uncomfortable history, they now reside firmly in Fascistville. Instead of reshaping their party so they can win elections, they are now the election fraud party.

Sometimes I fantasize about having super powers and doing things with a snap of my fingers, and those fantasies turn dark quickly. It starts with me popping tires on aggressive drivers cars. ;) 👀 but gets really dark if I turn my gaze to the GOP.

Last edited:
OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Race relations could easily be taught to younger children, hell most young children are not even aware, it might be undoing what they are learning at home and I imagine some of the racists would complain, as in a parents right to be a racist. 👀

Last edited:
Top Bottom