Does anyone here have an issue with teaching or even discussing CRT?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
219922827_4479366075430734_662386042247716135_n.jpg

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
THIS is why something like CRT is important. Because if you let certain people in charge they will let shit like this happen, history be damned.

There was no FUCKING need for this statue placed in the state capital, except to demonstrate one group's need desperate need for dominance.

No one with a true understanding of what that man has represented would have allowed that thing to even be considered. It's an affront that it took this long to get that shit tossed.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Just saw this online... the reply shows people on the right have officially lost their minds:

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 11.34.59.png

CRT is now being blamed for creating racism in the first place? Little GOP kids probably tell mom and dad that CRT stole their lunch money too. :brickwall:

MissNomer

Schrödingered
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can all but guarantee that 99% of all proponents of forbidding CRT have zero idea what CRT is, and is not.

They’ve been told by their Facebook and Twitter feeds that ‘CRT BAD’ so that’s all they need.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I can all but guarantee that 99% of all proponents of forbidding CRT have zero idea what CRT is, and is not.

They’ve been told by their Facebook and Twitter feeds that ‘CRT BAD’ so that’s all they need.
They all believe it to be what they heard on Fox or read on right-wing websites/social media. The ones who think they are experts watched a 5-minute video from PragerU. I’m not lying on that one…

MissNomer

Schrödingered
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
They all believe it to be what they heard on Fox or read on right-wing websites/social media. The ones who think they are experts watched a 5-minute video from PragerU. I’m not lying on that one…
PragerU are doing 5 minute video’s now? Wow they’ve seriously overestimated the attention span of their average visitor who goes there for ‘education’…

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The true anti-CRT backlash is coming from actual racists who want people to believe that racism doesn’t exist. They will straight-up lie about it too. In Traverse City, Michigan... you may have heard about the white kids there doing a “slave trade” of the black kids in school over snapchat. Because of this, the school introduced equity training and rules. What did some white parents do? They started yelling CRT IS THE DEBBIL! But what really angers me is that their reasons are, to a one... some variation of “there’s no racism in this town.”

This happened because your darling little children explicitly did really nasty, racist stuff... that is well-documented! If your only reason for not wanting diversity training at your school is a bald-faced lie... then fuck you. Here’s a sampling of stuff said at the school:

Eve Mosqueda, 15, who is Native American and Mexican, adding that other kids throughout elementary school had asked her if she lived in a teepee.

“all blacks should die” and “let’s start another holocaust,”

one of the only students of color in Estelle’s grade — whom kids called “Lilo” instead of her real name, because they said the girl’s dark skin made her look like the Hawaiian protagonist of the movie “Lilo and Stitch.”

Eden, who is also White, thought about the boys in her math class. The ones who sat behind her and whispered “niagra” to each other as a stand-in for the n-word, to avoid getting in trouble with the teacher. She thought about the kid who used “gay” as an insult, and the students who asked her why she was wearing rainbow colors, then put their thumbs down when she explained it was Pride Month and she wanted to support her LGBTQ friends.
Some parental replies to this:

“We don’t, not even for a second, think about race,” said Darcie Pickren, 67, a vocal leader of the anti-CRT movement who is White

Added Sally Roeser, 44, a White mother of two who graduated from Traverse public schools: “We were all brought up not to take someone’s race into consideration. That’s what we’re guaranteed in America.”

White parents say their hometown was never racist — at least not until an obsession with race began infecting the school system through its embrace of CRT, an allegation school officials have denied

“That’s how I was raised,” said Lori White, a 41-year-old mother of two who has lived in the area her entire life. “I’ve never seen any sort of discrimination. People in Traverse City are just kind.”

In the end, the town which is 90% white... decided to take the word “racism” out of the document they’re using to try and “fix” things at the school. Of course, that’s not good enough for the white racists, who still foam at the mouth and insist evil CRT is gonna destroy ‘Murica. Fuck them. After all, we know that being inclusive of others is actually a secret communist plot, right crazy racist parent? Take it away, Nicole Hooper!

“ ‘Diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging,’ all of those words sound great,” said Nicole Hooper, a 42-year-old mother of three. “But when you drill back and actually look at the meaning of the words . . . they are interlaced with critical race theory.”

TL;DR Despite a very public racist “slave trade” incident among their kids at school, parents insist nobody in their town is racist, and anything bad that happened is CRT’s fault.

(sorry probably paywalled)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I stopped by Facebook this morning to share a story with a friend, and picked this up on my way out

Natalie Johnson

June 30, 2020 ·
From someone who teaches AP US History:
If you are confused as to why so many Americans are defending the confederate flag, monuments, and statues right now, I put together a quick Q&A, with questions from a hypothetical person with misconceptions and answers from my perspective as an AP U.S. History Teacher:

Q: What did the Confederacy stand for?

A: Rather than interpreting, let's go directly to the words of the Confederacy's Vice President, Alexander Stephens. In his "Cornerstone Speech" on March 21, 1861, he stated "The Constitution... rested upon the equality of races. This was an error. Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Q: But people keep saying heritage, not hate! They think the purpose of the flags and monuments are to honor confederate soldiers, right?

A: The vast majority of confederate flags flying over government buildings in the south were first put up in the 1960's during the Civil Rights Movement. So for the first hundred years after the Civil War ended, while relatives of those who fought in it were still alive, the confederate flag wasn't much of a symbol at all. But when Martin Luther King, Jr. and John Lewis were marching on Washington to get the Civil Rights Act (1964) and Voting Rights Act (1965) passed, leaders in the south felt compelled to fly confederate flags and put up monuments to honor people who had no living family members and had fought in a war that ended a century ago. Their purpose in doing this was to exhibit their displeasure with black people fighting for basic human rights that were guaranteed to them in the 14th and 15th Amendments but being withheld by racist policies and practices.

Q: But if we take down confederate statues and monuments, how will we teach about and remember the past?

A: Monuments and statues pose little educational relevance, whereas museums, the rightful place for Confederate paraphernalia, can provide more educational opportunities for citizens to learn about our country's history. The Civil War is important to learn about, and will always loom large in social studies curriculum. Removing monuments from public places and putting them in museums also allows us to avoid celebrating and honoring people who believed that tens of millions of black Americans should be legal property.

Q: But what if the Confederate flag symbol means something different to me?

A: Individuals aren't able to change the meaning of symbols that have been defined by history. When I hang a Bucs flag outside my house, to me, the Bucs might represent the best team in the NFL, but to the outside world, they represent an awful NFL team, since they haven't won a playoff game in 18 years. I can't change that meaning for everyone who drives by my house because it has been established for the whole world to see. If a Confederate flag stands for generic rebellion or southern pride to you, your personal interpretation forfeits any meaning once you display it publicly, as its meaning takes on the meaning it earned when a failed regime killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in an attempt to destroy America and keep black people enslaved forever.

Q: But my uncle posted a meme that said the Civil War/Confederacy was about state's rights and not slavery?

A: "A state's right to what?" - John Green. <- My new favorite go to from now on, when this is brought up.

Q: Everyone is offended about everything these days. Should we take everything down that offends anyone?

A: The Confederacy literally existed to go against the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the idea that black people are human beings that deserve to live freely. If that doesn't upset or offend you, you are un-American.

Q: Taking these down goes against the First Amendment and freedom of speech, right?

A: No. Anyone can do whatever they want on their private property, on their social media, etc. Taking these down in public, or having private corporations like NASCAR ban them on their properties, has literally nothing to do with the Bill of Rights.

Q: How can people claim to be patriotic while supporting a flag that stood for a group of insurgent failures who tried to permanently destroy America and killed 300,000 Americans in the process?

A: No clue.

Q: So if I made a confederate flag my profile picture, or put a confederate bumper sticker on my car, what am I declaring to my friends, family, and the world?

A: That you support the Confederacy. To recap, the Confederacy stands for: slavery, white supremacy, treason, failure, and a desire to permanently destroy Selective history as it supports white supremacy.

It’s no accident that:

You learned about Helen Keller instead of W.E.B, DuBois
You learned about the Watts and L.A. Riots, but not Tulsa or Wilmington.
You learned that George Washington’s dentures were made from wood, rather than the teeth from slaves.
You learned about black ghettos, but not about Black Wall Street.
You learned about the New Deal, but not “red lining.”
You learned about Tommie Smith’s fist in the air at the 1968 Olympics, but not that he was sent home the next day and stripped of his medals.
You learned about “black crime,” but white criminals were never lumped together and discussed in terms of their race.
You learned about “states rights” as the cause of the Civil War, but not that slavery was mentioned 80 times in the articles of secession.

Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.

Racism is perpetuated by people who refuse to learn or acknowledge this reality.

You have a choice. - Jim Golden”

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I completely agree.

That said and I’ve said it before personally I believe this is a human characteristic where if the situation had been reversed, say in some parralel universe, it could have been Africans holding Europeans as slaves.

But this is just for perspective. It’s the group that holds the advantage, in the position of power that is enabled. And unfortunately, we only have our actual history and have to assign the blame where it needs to be placed, not make excuses for it.

There are some other things to be noted, the US is not the only place where racism/xenophobia thrives. US slavery appears unique as to how it developed, but that does not mean all Whites are racists, and racism and it’s cousin, tribalism exists around the world. Look at who has the advantage they don’t want to lose. However what is alarming is the denial that exists and the fact that racism is alive and going strong in the US in some locals.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The latest target of the anti-CRT crowd is a man who is the first black principal of his school.

Seems like the real reason they are upset is that he is hugging his wife (who is white) in a picture on the beach. The “he’s teaching CRT” nonsense seems to be an excuse to attack him for the color of his skin.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
A school principal in Texas is suspended for being black.

For some reason, the first black principal of this school was accused of teaching CRT. No evidence of it has been presented. It seems “CRT” is the excuse the parents are using to get rid of the first black principal at “their” school.

How can you say this is anything other than blatant racism?

Also, he had a photo of him hugging his wife (who is white) on the beach on his Facebook account some time ago, which apparently is part of this.

Top Bottom