Does my lack of interest in iOS 14 mean I’m officially old?

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah one of my older iPads looked like that for awhile. I finally reformed it one weekend before an iOS upgrade, and later ditched some more stuff before using it as a template for what would get loaded onto a newer device.

I don't actually keep many apps on my mobile devices any more. Still more on iPads than on iPhones. Noticed the other day that on my SE that is used as an actual phone, I now have only two partly-filled pages (although there are a lot of apps in the two for News, and Readers). I'd like to think I'm therefore engaging in some kind of digital minimalism, but alas, that's not the case.

The third page just has the lonely Pocket Frogs app on it. That sucker is addictive as hell for me, and I blame my sister for my having downloaded it, after she showed it to me one weekend a long time ago. I used to keep it on page one and played it too much because I didn't let it pick up an iPad's backup from Game Center... so it started from scratch and was more fun to keep playing and playing, since everything happens faster with the first dozen or so levels.

I never kept many apps on my iPad. But I find it easier to organize it than it is to organize the iPhone. That might be because I like having all my folders on one page on the iPad.

IMO, the Weather Widget alone is worth the upgrade.
Would’ve been better if it still didn’t use The Weather Channel. I really wanted Dark Sky. Now we’re stuck with the old Dark Sky widget.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
^^ That's ok by me at least in winter... i'm usually near my laptop so all i really want from a weather widget -- off a mobile device out in the kitchen at 5am trying to remember how to make coffee without having had a cup already-- is just a clue about when is sunrise, and whether it's going to be 20 below or 20 above zero when i get around to going outside later on, since that affects how many layers of clothes I put on when I get dressed. But I agree that Dark Sky is a cooler app.

U

User.45

It's actually a nice update for the android refugees. I the battery widget is fantastic if you have bluetooth headphones. It's the fastest way to check its charge.

U

User.45

BTW, I might be the only one, but I've always preferred Android, and still think it would be the better system if it's not for MacOS integration. The reason I got disgruntled when google assistant required me to sign a new EULA, so when they produced a new phone with touch, I switched back. FaceID has always been unappealing to me, and thanks to COVID for most of others too.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
BTW, I might be the only one, but I've always preferred Android, and still think it would be the better system if it's not for MacOS integration. The reason I got disgruntled when google assistant required me to sign a new EULA, so when they produced a new phone with touch, I switched back. FaceID has always been unappealing to me, and thanks to COVID for most of others too.

I don’t leave my house so Face ID not working isn’t a big enough deal to go back to Touch ID. I’m also very, very fast at entering my passcode. [emoji2376]

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yup. Everything except that first page is hidden.

When I want an app not on the first page I go to the 2nd page and start typing. Bam! Faster than my trying to remember what folder it was in half the time.
I took this advice, one screen with my scrollable widget and then the apps page. I'll try it out for a while but this seems like a good solution to me..

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

LOL that's a big "if" there from my POV. But I admit having been secretly jealous a few times when a nephew who always went for some latest non-Apple phone showed off a few shortcuts and stuff that Apple was short of at the time. He's been quieter about all that lately. I'm starting to wonder if he's ended up with an iPhone after all. One of my bros finally converted after his son got one.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

It would be really nice if you could have both. FaceID for winter when your gloves prevent you from using TouchID, and TouchID for when your mask prevents you from using FaceID.

I tried to like Android. I’ve had a few Android phones, and supported it when I worked for Ascendo (DataVault). But it just never felt right to me.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
It would be really nice if you could have both. FaceID for winter when your gloves prevent you from using TouchID, and TouchID for when your mask prevents you from using FaceID.

I tried to like Android. I’ve had a few Android phones, and supported it when I worked for Ascendo (DataVault). But it just never felt right to me.

I’m not certain how useful Touch ID truly is now if you’re wearing gloves. Mom doesn’t always wear gloves. But if she’s with the public, like at the store, she does.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
There are a few battery-powered non-Bluetooth styluses out there that do nothing more than generate the touch effect more precisely than your finger. If I understand correctly, one of those would work with gloves and not have any special compatibility requirements, because the effect simulates your finger electrically.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
There are a few battery-powered non-Bluetooth styluses out there that do nothing more than generate the touch effect more precisely than your finger. If I understand correctly, one of those would work with gloves and not have any special compatibility requirements, because the effect simulates your finger electrically.

Yep. I have one on my CleanTouch. It works on the watch too.

U

User.45

Yep. I have one on my CleanTouch. It works on the watch too.
real solution:
1600925105160.png

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
About iPadOS 14, they’ve had widgets since iPadOS was introduced. But, with this latest OS, the Apple stock widgets are favored over third party in terms of where you locate them on the screen.

This means I can’t keep a couple of third party widgets at the top, where I want them. So, I deleted all the stock widgets as a fix. Anyone see another way around this? Kinda bullshit.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not certain how useful Touch ID truly is now if you’re wearing gloves. Mom doesn’t always wear gloves. But if she’s with the public, like at the store, she does.

I guess if you’re wearing gloves and a mask you’re in a catch 22. But you’re also likely too busy to do anything with your phone.

But that doesn’t help much with unlocking your phone if you’re wearing gloves, unless you’re willing to dig out the stylus just to unlock the phone.

real solution:

A cheese stick?

About iPadOS 14, they’ve had widgets since iPadOS was introduced. But, with this latest OS, the Apple stock widgets are favored over third party in terms of where you locate them on the screen.

Interesting observation. I haven’t even tried to do anything with my iPad as I’ve been perfectly happy with how I’ve had it for the last year.

U

User.45

I guess if you’re wearing gloves and a mask you’re in a catch 22. But you’re also likely too busy to do anything with your phone.

But that doesn’t help much with unlocking your phone if you’re wearing gloves, unless you’re willing to dig out the stylus just to unlock the phone.

A cheese stick?

Interesting observation. I haven’t even tried to do anything with my iPad as I’ve been perfectly happy with how I’ve had it for the last year.
Sausage fingers!

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score

This means I can’t keep a couple of third party widgets at the top, where I want them. So, I deleted all the stock widgets as a fix. Anyone see another way around this? Kinda bullshit.

Not true. Devs just have to update their apps. The widget in my screenshot isn’t from .

eae55955aad8ebe4e8712276dc74727f.png

Top Bottom
1 2