Does my lack of interest in iOS 14 mean I’m officially old?

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Can you put it at the very top? If so, you’re right, and good news.

What do you mean by at the very top?
1b1ff10be7a22c2864700914aac4b672.png

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
What do you mean by at the very top?
1b1ff10be7a22c2864700914aac4b672.png
Can you have stock widgets beneath it? Your second pic is different, the battery widget IS at the top, but I see Dark Sky and a photo app beneath it. Is the photo app stock or 3rd party?

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Can you have stock widgets beneath it? Your second pic is different, the battery widget IS at the top, but I see Dark Sky and a photo app beneath it. Is the photo app stock or 3rd party?

Dark Sky hasn’t been updated so it can’t be put in the top widget area. That’s just for updated widgets. It doesn’t matter if they are stock or not. Are you asking about Smart Stacks?

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Unfortunately, Apple seems to be interested in having a big fat app store, "Look How Many Apps You Can Get!" without bothering to enforce a minimal level of design quality.

My gripe is with a few apps that give you buttons that allegedly do stuff but the actually do a different thing. Like, this button is for the "Main List" of stuff: you get the view that lets you select a sub-list of items. Then you pick one and look the thing over. Now you are done studying that item, and are not presently interested in any of the other items, so you tap the "Main List" button. But, instead of getting the main list, it takes you back to the sub-list you were looking at before, the one full of other items you were not really interested in. You have to hit "Main List" repeatedly to get back to it – sometimes you can be done and ready to start from the top several layers deep and have to hit that button several times before you get what you actually want.

I mean, there is already a back button up there in the corner. If "back" was what I wanted, I would have used that. And sometimes the meaning of the "Main List" button changes, so if you keep tapping it to get what you want, you end up somewhere else.

The real, practical alternatives to some of these apps simply do not exist. With all the money that Apple has, you would think they could work with devs to see that the top-of-the-line offerings work the way the are supposed to.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dark Sky hasn’t been updated so it can’t be put in the top widget area. That are us just for updated widgets. It doesn’t matter if they are stock or not. Are you asking about Smart Stacks?
Um, I guess so? I’ll just take your word for it that apps that have been updated can go anywhere. I use a weather app called eWeather HD (dumb name). It has a widget but I can’t move it from the far left screen to the Home Screen. The other stock Apple widgets can be moved there. But I don’t want those on the Home Screen. A good weather widget, I can use.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Um, I guess so? I’ll just take your word for it that apps that have been updated can go anywhere. I use a weather app called eWeather HD (dumb name). It has a widget but I can’t move it from the far left screen to the Home Screen. The other stock Apple widgets can be moved there. But I don’t want those on the Home Screen. A good weather widget, I can use.

This is confirmation that 3rd party widgets can be placed in a Smart Stack. And, on the iPhone, it can be placed on the Home Screen. Thirty party widgets can be placed on the Home Screen too. Apollo is a 3rd party Reddit app.
0d0036a58b9f6dde1cf13e9cceb85c9b.png

2b4ebf9e65db2c3437885769bab7012c.png

a742c02fd429e08b82120ba674bfd23a.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looked a bit into this new home screen business and I don't really get the appeal. It ends up looking like the myspace-ification of iOS. Jobs is probably turning in his grave and Ive probably saw this coming and got the fuck out so as not to be associated with it.

I don't think it's entirely the loss of those 2 that's making design quality to go downhill, but also I think that Cook has zero interest in that aspect of Apple.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Both my iPhone and iPad are updating to 14 as I type. If this goes horribly wrong I'm hunting down everybody in this thread and forcing you to vote for Trump at gunpoint, and if the news is any indicator, the "voluntary" poll monitors will give my actions a complete pass.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok. Installed 14 and it just informed me I have 2 kids I wasn't even aware of. What the hell? How do I downgrade? :mad:

Top Bottom
1 2