Donald Trump 2024 Presidential Campaign Announcement Nov. 15

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score
Just saw this. Good news for the DoJ and a good rebuke of Judge Cannon.

I don't think this would have ever helped Trump much beyond dragging out the process. I'm sure he'll appeal to the Supreme Court - for no other reason than to buy a few more weeks.
What an absolute psycho.

Where is the thread on here with our best guesses of why the hell he even had these documents? The only ones I can find are the crazy ones like he wanted to sell them to China, or the singularly stupid ones like he wanted them as mementos to show off to Mar-a-lago guests. As stupid and crazy as I believe Trump to be, both of them seem beyond the pale. Trump supporters, I summon thee. Explain it to me.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Where is the thread on here with our best guesses of why the hell he even had these documents? The only ones I can find are the crazy ones like he wanted to sell them to China, or the singularly stupid ones like he wanted them as mementos to show off to Mar-a-lago guests. As stupid and crazy as I believe Trump to be, both of them seem beyond the pale. Trump supporters, I summon thee. Explain it to me.
How is anything beyond the pale for someone who incited an insurrection to block the peaceful transition of power and who has spent his entire life cheating and grifting and only caring about himself? No one, to my knowledge, has given any LEGITIMATE reason for him taking the documents and he's gone through a long list of explanations/excuses to explain it. The fact remains that whatever his reason, he knowingly committed a crime by taking them and he knowingly obstructed justice by not fully responding to the subpoena to return them.

bwinter88

Reaction score
How is anything beyond the pale for someone who incited an insurrection to block the peaceful transition of power and who has spent his entire life cheating and grifting and only caring about himself? No one, to my knowledge, has given any LEGITIMATE reason for him taking the documents and he's gone through a long list of explanations/excuses to explain it. The fact remains that whatever his reason, he knowingly committed a crime by taking them and he knowingly obstructed justice by not fully responding to the subpoena to return them.
Trump is known to avoid emails and communicate via disposable post it notes. He has a long record since he entered the business 50 years ago of skirting the legal line without crossing it. As egregious as his transgressions appear to us, this one seems oddly out of character for someone so carefully concerned with self-preservation, I mean, holding onto top secret documents, really? What did he expect to do with them?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What an absolute psycho.

Columnist Jack Colwell (South Bend Tribune, Indiana) did write up a piece on possible reasons: Revenge. Blackmail. Profit.

I don't think any one of those is a stretch as motive. On the other hand the columnist didn't provide evidence.

Honestly I don't think that anything is absolutely beyond the pale for Trump. When he wants something, and there are legal obstacles, he tries to have his way anyhow, or get someone else to work around the situation.

Revenge: his own sitting government ticked Trump off by essentially making him leave when his term in office was over. He wanted to stay, and couldn't make it happen. So maybe he took sensitive government documents to Mar a Lago in sheer rage and "because he could" -- figuring he'd decide what to do with them "to get even" later on. He always seeks revenge when he feels he has been crossed. Ask anyone who had worked for him, or with whom he has had some dust-up in Congress or out in the corporate world.

Blackmail? Trump is on record saying in a press conference once that he might "have something" on an unnamed US Senator, but would hang onto that in case he might later decide to write a memoir. And really who doubts that Trump "has something" on Lindsey Graham.

Profit? Some of the documents seized at Mar a Lago apparently had to do with intel on French president Macron. You decide if Trump would have been more likely to use that info to blackmail Macron for money, or just to try to get some real estate easement or something in a pricey part of that country. Why would he take that information with him if not meaning to use it somehow in future? Some of the other sensitive documents might conceivably be used to get money or favors from foreign governments. But If there's proof of that, it's not yet been confirmed to the public.

bwinter88

Reaction score
Columnist Jack Colwell (South Bend Tribune, Indiana) did write up a piece on possible reasons: Revenge. Blackmail. Profit.

I don't think any one of those is a stretch as motive. On the other hand the columnist didn't provide evidence.

Honestly I don't think that anything is absolutely beyond the pale for Trump. When he wants something, and there are legal obstacles, he tries to have his way anyhow, or get someone else to work around the situation.

Revenge: his own sitting government ticked Trump off by essentially making him leave when his term in office was over. He wanted to stay, and couldn't make it happen. So maybe he took sensitive government documents to Mar a Lago in sheer rage and "because he could" -- figuring he'd decide what to do with them "to get even" later on. He always seeks revenge when he feels he has been crossed. Ask anyone who had worked for him, or with whom he has had some dust-up in Congress or out in the corporate world.

Blackmail? Trump is on record saying in a press conference once that he might "have something" on an unnamed US Senator, but would hang onto that in case he might later decide to write a memoir. And really who doubts that Trump "has something" on Lindsey Graham.

Profit? Some of the documents seized at Mar a Lago apparently had to do with intel on French president Macron. You decide if Trump would have been more likely to use that info to blackmail Macron for money, or just to try to get some real estate easement or something in a pricey part of that country. Why would he take that information with him if not meaning to use it somehow in future? Some of the other sensitive documents might conceivably be used to get money or favors from foreign governments. But If there's proof of that, it's not yet been confirmed to the public.
This is exactly what I looking for, thanks. It's speculation yes, but as good as we're going to get for awhile...at least it helps make some of it make sense. God, the thought that he almost certainly used his executive power to peek at intel on his perceived opponents...ugh. Add it to the list of despicable things.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I mean, holding onto top secret documents, really? What did he expect to do with them?
We can speculate, and I wouldn't rule anything out, but it's up to the DOJ to discover what he might have already done with them. Remember the empty folders?

In any case, multiple crimes were committed, which he basically acknowledged in his social media rantings, so why hasn't he been indicted already?

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Some of the documents seized at Mar a Lago apparently had to do with intel on French president Macron. You decide if Trump would have been more likely to use that info to blackmail Macron for money, or just to try to get some real estate easement or something in a pricey part of that country. Why would he take that information with him if not meaning to use it somehow in future?
Maybe Trump was offended by Macron's extra friendly clasping of hands with Melania, so he took some documents that could be used for revenge. Wouldn't put anything past him.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
In any case, multiple crimes were committed, which he basically acknowledged in his social media rantings, so why hasn't he been indicted already?

That step puts everything on a clock. I can think of many reasons they might still want more time, including missing evidence they want to bring to trial. We don’t even know the charges until they bring them, so ultimately, the only people who know are the investigators themselves.

lizkat

Reaction score
Add it to the list of despicable things.

I've never gotten past the fact that Trump withheld $400m in military aid to Ukraine for months --aid that Congress had appropriated-- when he was trying to get Zelenskyy to dig up dirt on Joe Biden. It was clear abuse of power, which was featured in Trump's first impeachment. And I've also never gotten past the fact that his buddies on the GOP side of the Senate declined to take that first impeachment seriously and convict and remove him.
Instead they stained their own records by excusing or dismissing his conduct by saying it was "reprehensible" or "improper" but not rising to level of an impeachable offense.​
Well by now of course we realize that this version of the GOP has no concept of what is an impeachable offense if it's a Republican under the microscope.​

Imagine: if the Rs in the Senate had done their job in the trial of Trump's first impeachment, then the 1/6 insurrection would not even have occurred, and Trump would not have been impeached a second time, nor likely been in all the trouble he's in now over the docs he stole. And yet there are those in the GOP who still support him. Suicidal party.

lizkat

Reaction score
Well it took awhile but Politico managed to compile some on-camera reactions by GOP pols regarding Trump having dined with NIck Fuentes. The video is interesting because they have more than one comment from the same interviewees, and there's a little backing and filling going on from some of them.

In particular, quite late in the clip they have Kevin McCarthy emphasizing that Trump "four times" has condemned Fuentes "or" said he didn't know who Fuentes even was... "but anyway I condemn his ideology."

[Good to know, Kevin... but whaddya think of The Don for being so late to the plate, the same as you?]

And McConnell's second comment is perhaps historically inaccurate but probably a message to The Don: he said about Trump dining w/ Fuentes that he thinks anyone meeting someone advocating "that point of view" is "highly unlikely to be elected president of the United States." I guess he meant "re-elected".

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This guy’s self-destruction is oncoming. He’s already announced his candidacy and it’s been a a nosedive to hell headfirst onto a thumbtack since then. Dinner with white nationalists and another celebrity in a death spiral. The same old lies and BS.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This guy’s self-destruction is oncoming. He’s already announced his candidacy and it’s been a a nosedive to hell headfirst onto a thumbtack since then. Dinner with white nationalists and another celebrity in a death spiral. The same old lies and BS.
Do we need him though? If he’s out of the picture, we are almost certain to have DeSantis as the R candidate.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Do we need him though? If he’s out of the picture, we are almost certain to have DeSantis as the R candidate.

I don’t like DeSantis, but he may be less inclined to overthrow democracy if he’s able to win without doing so.

Hell, I’d take him over Ted Cruz - who came in second to Trump in 2020.

It should be interesting to see how DeSantis behaves now that he’s the conservative darling. He may read a room better than Trump. Or he may double-down on stupid, which is a real possibility because it got him this far.

I’d caution republicans that Florida is becoming a conservative bastion and that what flies there may not fly elsewhere.

If Trump is able, he’d probably run as a third party candidate to kill whatever chance any Republican has. I don’t see him losing a primary battle and endorsing his opponent, but you never know.

lizkat

Reaction score
If Trump is able, he’d probably run as a third party candidate to kill whatever chance any Republican has. I don’t see him losing a primary battle and endorsing his opponent, but you never know.
This. Trump is nothing if not vengeful. His rage knows almost no bounds at this point.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
He may endorse someone if he can get a pardon out of it.

He’s a train wreck and his chances are dim, even though I rule nothing out. That desperation is already showing and we’re well over a year away from any primaries. He’s in legal jeopardy and getting older.

Republicans could have avoided all this seven years ago and several times since. There aren’t enough Trumpers to overcome moderate and democrats voices, and republicans should use that to their advantage. They may lose some Trumpers, but voting history has shown democrats and independents will vote for traditional conservatives. But they’re still all scared. The tide is definitely shifting, but they’re still all a bunch of 🐈 when it comes to giving full-throated and clear condemnations of Trump.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

I think it is kind of a Catch-22 for the Dems. Indict him and be happy he is punished, leaving the door wide open for DeSantis. Or leave him alone and either 1) he wins the Nomination and gets beat by a Dem or 2) He runs as a 3rd Party and both he and DeSantis get beat by a Dem.

Top Bottom
1 2