Donald Trump Calls Jan. 6 Capitol Insurrectionists ‘Great People’

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me at all. Early last year I was saying he'd probably not leave the White House willingly and would probably love nothing more than to start another civil war. Imagine, a whole war being fought over YOU! I figured that's the type of thing that would stroke his ego just fine.

Clearly I got some facts wrong. What shocks me is that my guess wasn't as far off as it should have been.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Do you think he will take the time to visit these great people in prison?

yeah just as soon as this happens.

when pigs fly.jpg

U

User.191

This is infuriating. People defending him saying he wasn’t inciting violence or whatever. Bullshit. He knew exactly what he was doing and how his crazy worshipers would react.
Of course he did. But when we live in a world where something like half the TeaTrumplicans believe that the January 6th insurrection was a left wing plot you have to be concerned about the overall mental health of those people and their ability to distinguish real life from fiction.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Of course he did. But when we live in a world where something like half the TeaTrumplicans believe that the January 6th insurrection was a left wing plot you have to be concerned about the overall mental health of those people and their ability to distinguish real life from fiction.

I still think some percentage of them don't believe much of anything really, and their pro-Trump schtick is just anti-establishmentarianism run amok. But he swept them up... which is my concern about them going forward. Trump didn't really expect to win in 2016 and was not prepared to govern, which of course left his administration open to all manner of mischief attempted by subordinates with their own agendas. Meanwhile his followers of the sort not too attached to reality just ignored all that and took their cues via watching Trump perform on social media and TV.

But now there are a number of Republicans who openly pander to those supporters of Trump. Some seem to be jockeying to become presidential candidates with Trump's blessing... if only they can avoid outing themselves too soon.

An intense spotlight on any of them at this point could fetch a smack upside the head from his majesty emeritus The Don, still imagining in the wake of his adulation at CPAC that his own standing there represents more of the USA sentiment than it does. I certainly don't know how these guys figure they're going to talk Trump into saying "but I've had my turn, now one of you should run..." That's not how narcissists roll.

But some of those potential candidates --like DeSantis-- appear to be a lot savvier about how to initiate and smooth pathways for legislation and policy statements that appeal to authoritarian followers like those still supporting Trump. That bugs me. All one of those guys needs is a nod from Trump and the undying support of folks with the mindset of those who saw the insurrection on January 6th as some sort of holy obligation.... unless the Democrats go all out to help potential voters (the ones the Rs would like to suppress) get registered under any stricter new rules and then help them get to the polls. It's maybe a lot to ask from activists in a party where a lot of them regard Uncle Joe as not their first choice in 2020 and not their hero in office right now either.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I still think some percentage of them don't believe much of anything really, and their pro-Trump schtick is just anti-establishmentarianism run amok. But he swept them up... which is my concern about them going forward. Trump didn't really expect to win in 2016 and was not prepared to govern, which of course left his administration open to all manner of mischief attempted by subordinates with their own agendas. Meanwhile his followers of the sort not too attached to reality just ignored all that and took their cues via watching Trump perform on social media and TV.

But now there are a number of Republicans who openly pander to those supporters of Trump. Some seem to be jockeying to become presidential candidates with Trump's blessing... if only they can avoid outing themselves too soon.

An intense spotlight on any of them at this point could fetch a smack upside the head from his majesty emeritus The Don, still imagining in the wake of his adulation at CPAC that his own standing there represents more of the USA sentiment than it does. I certainly don't know how these guys figure they're going to talk Trump into saying "but I've had my turn, now one of you should run..." That's not how narcissists roll.

But some of those potential candidates --like DeSantis-- appear to be a lot savvier about how to initiate and smooth pathways for legislation and policy statements that appeal to authoritarian followers like those still supporting Trump. That bugs me. All one of those guys needs is a nod from Trump and the undying support of folks with the mindset of those who saw the insurrection on January 6th as some sort of holy obligation.... unless the Democrats go all out to help potential voters (the ones the Rs would like to suppress) get registered under any stricter new rules and then help them get to the polls. It's maybe a lot to ask from activists in a party where a lot of them regard Uncle Joe as not their first choice in 2020 and not their hero in office right now either.
Trump reminds me of Dulcamara from Donizetti’s Elixir of Love. The classic “snake-oil salesman” who convinces (almost) everybody in town that he has an actual elixir that makes people fall in love. One cool aspect of this opera: it’s the Soprano who is the smart one who sees through the charade in this case.

Top Bottom
1 2