eero Pro 6

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

eero has just come out with a new model. the eero Pro 6.
WiFi 6. Gigabit, etc.
im thinking of getting one, but i have no experience with any model of eero before.

how has been yr experience with eero devices?

thanks

U

User.45

Let's refresh this since Eero Pro 6 came out with HomeKit support. Since this is the first and currently only Wifi6 homekit router I feel an itch towards purchasing it.

U

User.45

I decided to stay away from Eero after I downloaded the app and the first thing it asked for was my Amazon account login. You can create a separate account but this was such a turn off for me, I ordered a Linksys Velop.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I decided to stay away from Eero after I downloaded the app and the first thing it asked for was my Amazon account login. You can create a separate account but this was such a turn off for me, I ordered a Linksys Velop.
Amazon wasted no time converting Eero to a spying device when they bought the company. I tell anybody with an iPhone to dump their “alexa” or the Google equivalent. No, Siri isn’t as good, but it‘s halfway decent, and think about what you’re bringing into your home. Amazon and Google are companies that actively complain (although neither as vociferously as Facebook) when Apple or anybody else tries to protect user privacy. I hope people get the message there.

I know first-hand that Netgear Orbi is a very good product, and I’ve heard the Linksys Velop is equally good.

U

User.45

Amazon wasted no time converting Eero to a spying device when they bought the company. I tell anybody with an iPhone to dump their “alexa” or the Google equivalent. No, Siri isn’t as good, but it‘s halfway decent, and think about what you’re bringing into your home. Amazon and Google are companies that actively complain (although neither as vociferously as Facebook) when Apple or anybody else tries to protect user privacy. I hope people get the message there.

I know first-hand that Netgear Orbi is a very good product, and I’ve heard the Linksys Velop is equally good.
Orbi looks nice but very pricey and no HomeKit. To date only eero and Velop have HK. I have one Echo dot in the furthest corner of my kitchen that I use for Weather, Preconditioning my car, timers (so I'm objective when I put my kiddo in time out, LOL) and audible while cooking.

Amazon is really scary. People worry about their health information leaked, etc, but the health predicting value of the data amazon has on us is probably orders of magnitude better than a chart with your Hemoglobin A1C, and blood pressure data. Slowly migrating away from Amazon is definitely on my todo list. It's been flooded with poor quality knock off products with a ton of fake reviews.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Orbi looks nice but very pricey and no HomeKit. To date only eero and Velop have HK. I have one Echo dot in the furthest corner of my kitchen that I use for Weather, Preconditioning my car, timers (so I'm objective when I put my kiddo in time out, LOL) and audible while cooking.

Amazon is really scary. People worry about their health information leaked, etc, but the health predicting value of the data amazon has on us is probably orders of magnitude better than a chart with your Hemoglobin A1C, and blood pressure data. Slowly migrating away from Amazon is definitely on my todo list. It's been flooded with poor quality knock off products with a ton of fake reviews.
It is my opinion that Amazon was very good early on. Then they decided to take essentially a monopolist strategy. They decided to operate at break-even or a loss for many years to kill the competition. The bigger they got, the more people invested in them, so they got rich off of investors, not off of profits.

Now that they are the biggest player, we see things like Amazon prime prices going up every year and sellers forced to accept terms prohibiting them from selling at a better price elsewhere. They are using their incredible reach to basically spy on their customers for the purpose of increasing sales through targeted marketing.

Many people don’t even bother to look elsewhere because it’s assumed Amazon always has the lowest price. In some cases that is true. In other cases, it is true only because Amazon has forced the seller into refusing to sell cheaper elsewhere… so the price isn’t as cheap as it would normally be. And in other cases, you can find it cheaper if you just look around.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
And in other cases, you can find it cheaper if you just look around.

True. Trying to make myself do that and still avoid having to deal with unknown vendors on the net. Lately found a few non-grocery things cheaper at BJ's and could even get them delivered via Instacart since I was doing a grocery shop there online at the time anyway.

U

User.45

It is my opinion that Amazon was very good early on. Then they decided to take essentially a monopolist strategy. They decided to operate at break-even or a loss for many years to kill the competition. The bigger they got, the more people invested in them, so they got rich off of investors, not off of profits.

Now that they are the biggest player, we see things like Amazon prime prices going up every year and sellers forced to accept terms prohibiting them from selling at a better price elsewhere. They are using their incredible reach to basically spy on their customers for the purpose of increasing sales through targeted marketing.

Many people don’t even bother to look elsewhere because it’s assumed Amazon always has the lowest price. In some cases that is true. In other cases, it is true only because Amazon has forced the seller into refusing to sell cheaper elsewhere… so the price isn’t as cheap as it would normally be. And in other cases, you can find it cheaper if you just look around.
It’s absurd, I wanted to buy kneepads for my older kid. You could only find these worthless knock offs on Amazon, which are some thing you purchase the never use and ends up in the landfill. They essentially carry no reputable skating protection brands for children.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It’s absurd, I wanted to buy kneepads for my older kid. You could only find these worthless knock offs on Amazon, which are some thing you purchase the never use and ends up in the landfill. They essentially carry no reputable skating protection brands for children.
They're essentially killing every one of these quality products with "Amazon Basics" knockoffs and it's cheap crap. For a lot of things I find myself shopping directly from vendor sites or going into retail locations. It's a shame because there's no way these vendors can compete with Amazon on their own site.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I have been very happy with the AmpliFi Alien 6 router that I bought just over a month ago -- works a treat and I have had no issues with it. Since I am in a small condo apartment unit I don't really need an access point with it, but that would have been possible to purchase in a two-pack of router and access point in a mesh configuration. Yes, the AmpliFi was not inexpensive but I found that it ticked all my boxes and is worth it. I don't use HomeKit so that wasn't a consideration for me and I'm not sure if it is supported or not.

As for Amazon, yes, one does have to be careful when thinking about buying something and I will not purchase any Amazon products such as Ring doorbell, Alexa or whatever, especially after reading about Amazon's latest plan of implementing their "Sidewalk" sort of "mesh network" that uses one's own and one's neighbors' Echo, Ring, etc., devices to create a kind of pseudo online network. Invasion of privacy, much?

Last edited:
U

User.45

I have been very happy with the AmpliFi Alien 6 router that I bought just over a month ago -- works a treat and I have had no issues with it. Since I am in a small condo apartment unit I don't really need an access point with it, but that would have been possible to purchase in a two-pack of router and access point in a mesh configuration. Yes, the AmpliFi was not inexpensive but I found that it ticked all my boxes and is worth it. I don't use HomeKit so that wasn't a consideration for me and I'm not sure if it is supported or not.
Yup, if it weren't for homekit, I would have bought the Alien. The issue is, where I live I really need a security cam.

Top Bottom
1 2