Election Day 2021

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Do you really think so?

I can't remember who posted it in either this thread or a similar one that the reason the polls were close was because the Dems hadn't gone far enough left. If that is what you mean by looking within, then I think you will have a hard 2022 and 2024 ahead of you.

I mainly watched CNN last night (surprise, but I really like the way John King breaks things down on his map) and the panel was questioning where the Biden agenda goes now. The wondered if these elections may give cover to a few other Dems who aren't comfortable with the hard leftward shift.

I don’t believe I said the dems need to go further left (though I do think there are times when that’s applicable, like trying to pass the BBB legislation). But the round table discussions on MSNBC weren’t about voter fraud or voter ID, it was praising Virginia for their free and fair (and safe) elections and asking what did democrats do wrong. They mentioned the democrats 1: needed a Biden political victory which hasn’t yet come to fruition, and 2: It may be a center-left country, but it isn’t that left. Far more closer to center than left.

People overwhelmingly support democrat policies. Pole after pole show it, and democrats have won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections. But states are different, and messaging matters.

The question democrats need to ask is why someone would vote for Obama and Trump, or Obama and Trump, or Biden but then Youngkin. Those independents need to be more fiercely targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 215

On one hand, I’m glad democrats will look within and accept the defeat. That’s normal behavior. We’ve been having the discussion the last few weeks Youngkin had been surging.

But on the other hand, had Youngkin not won, it would either be “he didn’t embrace Trump enough”, or “it was rigged!”. Or both. But they wouldn’t have the reaction they had when Romney lost, which was to do some soul-searching. No, republicans don’t accept defeat or take blame anymore. So maybe democrats should immediately start attacking Youngkin and his misinformation campaign. So what the race is over? Go on offense. Democrats acting like normal politicians is allowing republicans to rig the game to their rules.

Well, as I keep being told, Republicans can go lower than low and full-on extremist and it works for them. There is no limit to what Republicans can do and people will lap it up.

But Democrats have to walk on eggshells and try to be "moderate".

Last edited by a moderator:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don’t believe I said the dems need to go further left (though I do think there are times when that’s applicable, like trying to pass the BBB legislation). But the round table discussions on MSNBC weren’t about voter fraud or voter ID, it was praising Virginia for their free and fair (and safe) elections and asking what did democrats do wrong. They mentioned the democrats 1: needed a Biden political victory which hasn’t yet come to fruition, and 2: It may be a center-left country, but it isn’t that left. Far more closer to center than left.

People overwhelmingly support democrat policies. Pole after pole show it, and democrats have won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections. But states are different, and messaging matters.

The question democrats need to ask is why someone would vote for Obama and Trump, or Obama and Trump, or Biden but then Youngkin. Those independents need to be more fiercely targeted.

I don't think it was you.

As I noted in an earlier post, some individual Dem policies poll well, as do some individual GOP policies. But as several of us keep stating, all the good policies in the world can't overcome "paying illegals $450,000". The Dems lump too much in one bill knowing they have to try to combine things people want while trying to hide some of the stuff people don't want and hoping it passes.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like Murphy is inching ahead in what should have been a blowout.

But it also looks like the GOP is going to take control of the VA HoD. As of now, they have won 45/100, are leading in 6/100 and 2 more are razor thin. So if things hold, they will have a 51/49 to 53/47 majority.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Well, as I keep being told, Republicans can go lower than low and full-on extremist and it works for them. There is no limit to what Republicans can do and people will lap it up.

But Democrats have to walk on eggshells.

I mean, Youngkin ran on something that doesn’t even exist in Virginia. He took an out of context (but still horrible sound it’s) from his opponent and it worked. Republicans have successfully framed empathy and teaching honest history as “CRT”. Suburban parents clearly - rightly or wrongly - latched onto that messaging.

I’m not sure how you combat the many rabbit holes of lies and misinformation that republicans keep going with, and win on. It wasn’t Trump’s lies they seem to have had an issue with, it’s his tact. I guess insurrections, conspiring with foreign nations, trying to overturn an election and lies are ok, just not the name calling on Twitter?

Democrats need to play hardball and ask when Cyber Ninjas can be brought it for a forensic audit of the Virginia election! Ask Youngkin if he supports an audit of his own election, and if he would accept the results of such an audit. There’s a something that really pisses me off about these republicans claiming victory and smiling on election night, when they’ve done everything they can to gin up doubts about the whole process - unless they win, then it’s all perfectly fine of course.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I mean, Youngkin ran on something that doesn’t even exist in Virginia. He took an out of context (but still horrible sound it’s) from his opponent and it worked. Republicans have successfully framed empathy and teaching honest history as “CRT”. Suburban parents clearly - rightly or wrongly - latched onto that messaging.
Well, the Virginia State Superintendent of Education did send out a memo that had this:

Foundations of Critical Race Theory in Education, by Edward Taylor, David Gillborn, and Gloria Ladson-Billings

The emergence of Critical Race Theory (CRT) marked an important point in the history of racial politics in the legal academy and the broader conversation about race and racism in the United States. More recently, CRT has proven an important analytic tool in the field of education, offering critical perspectives on race, and the causes, consequences and manifestations of race, racism, inequity, and the dynamics of power and privilege in schooling. This groundbreaking anthology is the first to pull together both the foundational writings in the field and more recent scholarship on the cultural and racial politics of schooling. A comprehensive introduction provides an overview of the history and tenets of CRT in education. Each section then seeks to explicate ideological contestation of race in education and to create new, alternative accounts. In so doing, this landmark publication not only documents the progress to date of the CRT movement, it acts to further spur developments in education.

So it's not like they made it up.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Of course there wasn't just gloom and doom for Dems yesterday. First, Murphy will probably eke out a win in New Jersey. It shouldn't have been so close and I'm sure the GQP will demand a recount. Shit-tarelli will use the "Steal-the-vote" playbook like he did when he attended the January 6th Attempted Coup. A great deal of the outstanding votes are in urban and Democratic strongholds. If he wins, Murphy would be the 1st Dem to win a 2nd term to the governorship in New Jersey in about 40 years.

Michelle Wu: A progressive candidate won in Boston, becoming the 1st woman and 1st Person of Color to be elected Mayor.

Ed Gainey: A progressive candidate won in Pittsburgh, becoming the 1st Black Mayor in the city's history.

Larry Krasner: A progressive DA won re-election, disproving that progressive DAs are failures. He helped kickstart Super-Progressive prosecutors winning and successfully running office.

Tyrone Garner: A progressive won in Kansas City, Kansas. He becomes the 1st Black mayor in the city's history. A former police deputy chief is less keen on more policing, intending to focus on equity and hope.

And in New York City (yes The Big & Bad Liberal Mecca™) --

Eric Adams: while many are calling him a moderate, he's voted and governed mostly progressively as a State legislator and Brooklyn Borough President.

Alvin Bragg: A progressive becomes the 1st Black DA in Manhattan. Mango and his cronies should worry.

Women on the City Council: For the 1st time ever women will be a majority -- with the possibility of electing a truly Progressive woman as City Council President. (Hoping the next Prez is from the Outer Boros, but I wouldn't bet on it) Elected the 1st muslim woman. Electing the most Asian women ever, with the 1st woman ever in my home district.

Diversity: The most diverse City Council ever. The first South Asians.

Openly LGBT candidates: won with overwhelming support, including the 1st Out Black women ever; the 1st Out women in Queens ever; The 1st Out Black man in Brooklyn ever; The LGBT Caucus will be the largest ever.

I'm sure there's lots more that I'm missing. Like the 12-year-old hashtag I posted earlier reads: #ActLikeDemsMaybeYouCouldWin

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've been loosely following this but haven't invested a lot into it. However, if history is any indication I think we expect a shift in the midterms and this is a good bellwether, and am expecting Republicans to make big gains in both houses. Typically the case with the opposing party in a midterm with rare exceptions.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The other takeaway from reports all over: IIRC, exit polling shows that 57% of white women voted for the GOP in Virginia. While they were in court trying to take away the right to choose. While they appealed to racist tendencies. While they use hate and fear to scare them. So many use "They're voting against their best interests" to describe poor/working class voters that vote Republican. That phrase more accurately applies to white women that vote Republican and then almost immediately cry about how bad they are. Forget the "white working class" dogma, it's more "The White Whining Class"

Or the WWAC crowd, referenced in Adam Jentleson's “Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy”

“The second part [of this book] shows how the modern, post–civil rights Senate began applying the filibuster to a broadening range of bills and issues, and married the old vision of minority rule with new, rigid leadership structures. Under McConnell, this marriage allowed the GOP base of wealthy, white, anti-choice conservatives—a reactionary superminority I call the WWACs—to impose its will on the majority as never before”

The question is why do the suburban women still allow themselves to be susceptible to appeals constructed by reactionary conservatives and so end up voting "against their interests" anyway?

It's not like a lot of suburban moms don't have cashflow problems, even if they're part of a wealthy two-income family with some inherited assets maybe in the background as well.​
They do want their daughters to be healthy, able to succeed, become independent, make their own way.​
They do know what it's like to struggle, while raising their kids, to come up with money for education, straight from daycare right through college.​
Some of them are actually pro-choice, or at least so in the sense of making a distinction between holding personal views and believing that other women have the right to make their own choices.​
And yet they will still vote for GOP policymakers who run blatant or subtle bogeyman ads that appeal to the deeply racist and misogynistic attitudes that underpin American history. And yet they'll tolerate near-fascist astroturfing of school board meetings even while voting for candidates of a party that insists it's the Dems who want to control free speech. And yet they'll turn around and elect a guy like Youngkin.

But two weeks after the election they'll be back to complaining about the potholes in the freeway or the fact that their kid's daycare costs an arm and a leg every month.

Meanwhile the GOP think-tanks feed to the op-eds of newspapers a ramped-up focus on the threat of terror in Africa, and the Pentagon and the GOP's congressional liaison staffers trade info on who might want this or that appropriation tweaked to include more money for specialty weapons or satellite camera improvements:

"fuck your pothole repair and daycare fee problems, dearie, it's a dangerous world and we have real work to do."

I have friends who more than once since the year 2000 have said they voted for a Republican and came to regret it, Twenty-one years and some of them will still 'fess up this or next year to having done it again. Go figure.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Well, the Virginia State Superintendent of Education did send out a memo that had this:

To whom did he send the memo? For what purpose? That’s what CRT is, but it’s not what’s taught in schools. Need more context.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Or the WWAC crowd, referenced in Adam Jentleson's “Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy”

A good depressing read. And the WWAC phenomena needs to be discussed more. It's the root of so many of our current problems.

The question is why do the suburban women still allow themselves to be susceptible to appeals constructed by reactionary conservatives and so end up voting "against their interests" anyway?

It's a version of "F your feelings" or more likely, "FU, what about me/my anxiety!"

I have friends who more than once since the year 2000 have said they voted for a Republican and came to regret it, Twenty-one years and some of them will still 'fess up this or next year to having done it again. Go figure.

And that's what's so frustrating. It keeps happening. It's an extremely frustrating circle that needs to be broken. Too many Dems, especially after the Clintons, tried/try to emulate the modern GOP and/or ignore key constituencies. They're losing grip on votes while reaching for votes that'll forever be out of reach. It results in indifferent Dem voters at best, and often Dem voters that will vote 3rd Party or even GOP candidates as a big "No, FU" vote. And so-called independents are inclined to do the same.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
To whom did he send the memo? For what purpose? That’s what CRT is, but it’s not what’s taught in schools. Need more context.

From what I can tell, the state Superintendent sends out weekly memos to all the local school boards. This was the one from February 22, 2019.

Not sure how that link will work since it goes to a .docx file. (Is it that damn hard to create a pdf?).

Here is the main page it came from:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

So you don't think there are people in the country today regretting their Biden vote?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That woman is a crazy loon. They'll regret it shortly. They love voting for Black pols that serve the interests of white racist pols. The GOP used her as a mop-up lady to defend Youngkin's racist ads and rhetoric throughout the race.anti
Youngkin went all in on the racial animus. Just watch the ads - he also appealed to anti-transgender sentiment. It’s abundantly clear (just look through the CRT thread) that anti-CRT is just a code word for anti-black. CRT isn’t taught in Virginia K-12 at all, period. Appealing to “white fright” in Virginia has been a winning strategy for a long time, and it worked once again.

Terry McAuliffe should not have run for a 2nd term and led a lazy and boring campaign, so he got no turnout. He has a huge ego and assumed people would vote for him just because his name is on the ballot.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

They are claiming CRT is taught in K-12. IT IS NOT. Period.

A memo to principals is NOT an addition to the curriculum. But a bunch of low-information voters fell for this... or did they? I think lots of GOP voters know exactly what game is being played with the CRT bogeyman. It gives them an excuse to be racist against black people - “I’m not racist, I just don’t like CRT, and I dun heard that there black principal preaches CRT to my kids, so he’s gotta go!"

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So you don't think there are people in the country today regretting their Biden vote?

I bet there are people regretting they ever thought the Republican Party could use and then discard Donald Trump without having to pay a price for having abandoned a moral compass... all for the sake of a tax cut, or even worse, just to see what would happen if a guy advised by barn burners like Bannon and Miller ever ascended to the Oval Office.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Terry McAuliffe should not have run for a 2nd term and led a lazy and boring campaign, so he got no turnout. He has a huge ego and assumed people would vote for him just because his name is on the ballot.
Well McAuliffe did get 200K more votes than Northam got four years ago. (He just was too stupid with that education debate quote; doubling down on it at first and then waiting nearly two weeks to put out a tepid ad addressing it gingerly) As much as the GOP railed against mail-in ballots due to the Pandemic and lied about voter fraud via the same, it helped their party just as much, if not more. Who wouldathunk making voting easier would increase votes! Unlike Mango, Youngkin embraced mail-in ballots AND early voting. I believe I posted earlier that at some campaign stops he actually walked supporters over to early polling stations to vote for him.

Top Bottom
1 2