Electric Scooters

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wondering if anyone else is using one of these, I plan on picking one up to use so I can hit some of these longer trails for photos without having to walk for miles at a time with all that gear on my back. I've settled on the Segway Ninebot MAX, will fit nicely into my trunk and has a pretty good range.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 6.36.49 AM.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I see electric scooters and bikes all over now, they seem awesome, I would totally use of these for short commutes ( still have an original Razor scooter I bust out on occasion).

I've seen good reviews on various sites, some people cite less well known brands as "better value", but I've heard Segue has excellent customer service, so that factors into the price (vs. an AliExpress Special :D) Good specs, excellent range, and close to 20MPH top speed on a scooter is pretty quick!

At that price, I think I'd go with a full on bike, but the use case you have in mind might be much better suited for a scooter. It's certainly more compact.

FWIW, I keep looking at Lectric eBikes, the XP 2.0 specifically - their bikes also fold in half, but I'm sure it's still a larger package vs. a scooter. They have a new model the XP Lite, they run it on sale for $799 (plus usually some kind of freebie, like right now, an upgraded comfort seat and post), it's about the same weight as the scooter above too (~40 lbs).

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is using one of these, I plan on picking one up to use so I can hit some of these longer trails for photos without having to walk for miles at a time with all that gear on my back. I've settled on the Segway Ninebot MAX, will fit nicely into my trunk and has a pretty good range.

View attachment 15457
In the UK you can only use them on private land outside of a few sample test areas. I’d sooner go electric bike or just standard bike. But depends on the distance you want to go. I’m sure I’d just go over the handlebars the first stone I hit!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I see electric scooters and bikes all over now, they seem awesome, I would totally use of these for short commutes ( still have an original Razor scooter I bust out on occasion).

I've seen good reviews on various sites, some people cite less well known brands as "better value", but I've heard Segue has excellent customer service, so that factors into the price (vs. an AliExpress Special :D) Good specs, excellent range, and close to 20MPH top speed on a scooter is pretty quick!

At that price, I think I'd go with a full on bike, but the use case you have in mind might be much better suited for a scooter. It's certainly more compact.

FWIW, I keep looking at Lectric eBikes, the XP 2.0 specifically - their bikes also fold in half, but I'm sure it's still a larger package vs. a scooter. They have a new model the XP Lite, they run it on sale for $799 (plus usually some kind of freebie, like right now, an upgraded comfort seat and post), it's about the same weight as the scooter above too (~40 lbs).
Actually looks really cool but even folded would take up too much space I think, I'm even dubious about the scooter with all my other camera gear but it seems like the most viable option.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In the UK you can only use them on private land outside of a few sample test areas. I’d sooner go electric bike or just standard bike. But depends on the distance you want to go. I’m sure I’d just go over the handlebars the first stone I hit!
I've heard that and it's a bummer, everyone rides them everywhere here as there are so many bike lanes.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, another thing, with a fat tire eBike, you'd have more flexibility for offroad type riding, I thought about that when you talked about "bike lanes", and saw you said trails above.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just wanted to follow up that this is the coolest thing since sliced bread, I've already got over 40 miles on it and love the freedom it offers. I've seen areas of my home town that I've never been able to see because there are so many miles worth of paved trails that go through it. Also fits perfectly in the trunk so I just take it with me everywhere.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I saw a guy on one of these: https://onewheel.com/, too rich for my blood, and the trails we were on are non-motorized.
I do see younger people cruising around on these but I'll just go ahead and stick with a minimum of two wheels. The electric scooters are everywhere on these trails though, lots of families are out on them as well.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I didn't realize you had actually ordered, nice!

We need some action POV video of you cutting up the trails, maybe getting a little air :D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I didn't realize you had actually ordered, nice!

We need some action POV video of you cutting up the trails, maybe getting a little air :D
When I put it in sport mode you can get up to 20 MPH and when you're that low to the ground it's actually pretty fast so I find myself backing off, I also wear a helmet just to be safe.

But yeah, this thing just zips around and is awesome, as kids something like this would've been magical as we only had leg power back then. No wonder they're are all fat and diabetes ridden today. :ROFLMAO:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 15457

How would that do on rough terrain trails? I imagine there are a lot of good photo ops on those trails.

I have an e-mountain bike that folds in half for backseat or trunk hauling. Unfortunately this was a novel idea at the time when I got it, and it weighs a ton and the battery is large and exposed with wiring running all over that makes it look like I'm riding an IED. If I was present with that bike at the event where Shinzo Abe was assassinated I probably would have gotten pummeled by security.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
How would that do on rough terrain trails? I imagine there are a lot of good photo ops on those trails.

I have an e-mountain bike that folds in half for backseat or trunk hauling. Unfortunately this was a novel idea at the time when I got it, and it weighs a ton and the battery is large and exposed with wiring running all over that makes it look like I'm riding an IED. If I was present with that bike at the event where Shinzo Abe was assassinated I probably would have gotten pummeled by security.

I had considered an e-bike as well but the size and weight was too much for simple packing into the car and that's why I went with this instead, it's 40 pounds and fits neatly into my trunk along with all my camera gear and other traveling bags. The main bar folds down and that's all there is to it, takes just a few seconds and you're done.

You can take it off road and it has nice air filled tires for smooth riding but it doesn't have a suspension so it can be bumpy, that's the only real limitation I can think of.

Since buying it and showing it to some friends, who took it for a ride, they've since purchased their own and are now cruising all those coolio trails up and down the pacific coast in Half Moon Bay and Pacifica. Segway should be giving me a commission lol.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Since buying it and showing it to some friends, who took it for a ride, they've since purchased their own and are now cruising all those coolio trails up and down the pacific coast in Half Moon Bay and Pacifica.

Are you guys members of The Hell's Satans?

1657811183455.png

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I had considered an e-bike as well but the size and weight was too much for simple packing into the car and that's why I went with this instead, it's 40 pounds and fits neatly into my trunk along with all my camera gear and other traveling bags. The main bar folds down and that's all there is to it, takes just a few seconds and you're done.

You can take it off road and it has nice air filled tires for smooth riding but it doesn't have a suspension so it can be bumpy, that's the only real limitation I can think of.

Since buying it and showing it to some friends, who took it for a ride, they've since purchased their own and are now cruising all those coolio trails up and down the pacific coast in Half Moon Bay and Pacifica. Segway should be giving me a commission lol.

Segway should, since I wouldn’t mind adding one of these to my stable. Being able to grab it out of the trunk and go off to lunch while at work would be interesting. Being able to go a few miles along a multi-use trail to a nice restaraunt instead of traveling along the freeway would also be nice.

I agree on the point that this is more portable than an e-bike, but maybe not so much on the weight. This thing is an absolute unit for a scooter, and is really creeping up on e-bike weights depending on what type of e-bike you want. My e-bike is an absolute unit as well though, so it’s up in the 65lb range with the battery installed.

I wouldn’t take this on the sort of trips I take on the e-bike though. The range on the Segway would give up before my e-bike does, looking at the real world numbers people are getting. The ride I had yesterday wouldn’t have been doable with my weight.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Segway should, since I wouldn’t mind adding one of these to my stable. Being able to grab it out of the trunk and go off to lunch while at work would be interesting. Being able to go a few miles along a multi-use trail to a nice restaraunt instead of traveling along the freeway would also be nice.

I agree on the point that this is more portable than an e-bike, but maybe not so much on the weight. This thing is an absolute unit for a scooter, and is really creeping up on e-bike weights depending on what type of e-bike you want. My e-bike is an absolute unit as well though, so it’s up in the 65lb range with the battery installed.

I wouldn’t take this on the sort of trips I take on the e-bike though. The range on the Segway would give up before my e-bike does, looking at the real world numbers people are getting. The ride I had yesterday wouldn’t have been doable with my weight.
Right, real world estimates with my weight in sport mode realistically puts it at just over 20 miles and for me that's plenty. I don't see using it for really long trips anyway, I took it out for maybe 7 or 8 miles the other day and that was more than enough for a single ride.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Right, real world estimates with my weight in sport mode realistically puts it at just over 20 miles and for me that's plenty. I don't see using it for really long trips anyway, I took it out for maybe 7 or 8 miles the other day and that was more than enough for a single ride.

Yup, wasn’t trying to give the thing too hard a knock, just that it fills a different niche.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yup, wasn’t trying to give the thing too hard a knock, just that it fills a different niche.
Exactly, a bike would definitely be a nicer ride. This thing is bumpy and definitely gives your whole body more of a workout than one might think by standing and adjusting the entire time you're riding.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
They're yet another curse on humanity!

If people only rode them in bike lanes, or on the roadway, instead of on the sidewalk, they'd be more tolerable.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
They're yet another curse on humanity!

If people only rode them in bike lanes, or on the roadway, instead of on the sidewalk, they'd be more tolerable.

You will never catch me in the roadway on a 40lb vehicle that tops out at under 20mph with 2000+ lb vehicles that don’t seem to know how to drive under 30mph. And bike lanes that are really just gutters with painted line are even worse for scooter users than bike users (and they are bad for both).

Car-centric infrastructure is a plague, and we need more room for all other modes of transport (bikes, scooters, pedestrians) instead of us fighting for the scraps.

Top Bottom
1 2