General Electric toothbrushes

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Recently I had the occasion to replace my electric toothbrush, and it gave me a reason to think about them again.

Years ago I remember thinking electric toothbrushes were for someone too lazy to move a toothbrush themselves. I did start using an electric one, but that was back before they turned into a boutique industry, like Dyson-style vacuum cleaners.

It wasn’t until my dentist recommended one of these kinds—Philips Sonicare—that I came to appreciate how good they really can be.

Now, fancy toothbrushes can be ridiculous. The one that just died on me, I originally balked at the price—$170 for a two-pack. (My wife still has the other.)

It wasn’t until I went really looking online for a new one that I discovered that in the Philips line alone, the price range is all over the place: from a low of $39 to a high of $349. (That’s “discounted”. MSRP is actually $399. 😳 )

For that kind of money, it ought to be able to store all my favorite music and control my home appliances. But really, the differences don’t seem to be that great. Doodads like warnings to replace your brush head. Hell, I can set that up in Reminders on my phone for free. I don’t know that the actual cleaning is any better.

Anyway, now that I’ve looked, I see that Oral-B and a number of lesser known companies have similar lines. What’s your experience? Have you tried one of these other brands? Is going too cheap a bad idea? And are there reasons you think the top end ones are worth it? Have you noticed any that clean better than other models you’ve tried?

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Anyway, now that I’ve looked, I see that Oral-B and a number of lesser known companies have similar lines. What’s your experience? Have you tried one of these other brands? Is going too cheap a bad idea? And are there reasons you think the top end ones are worth it? Have you noticed any that clean better than other models you’ve tried?
I'm using the Oral-B Costco carries. My dentist checks my teeth over, and basically says "keep doing what you've been doing."

I don't have any of the super extra features, it just times 4 quadrants of your mouth, and flashes red if you are pressing too hard.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
the sonicare seem to work the best. a lot quieter the the orl-b the sonicare really feels like it is scrubbing your teeth you dont need the higest end one. they keep track fo how well you brush if your using too much pressure and such. the bluetooth heads tell you when it is time to change the head.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I switched to Quip, despite their very awful commercials. I’ve been very happy with it, and get a replacement head and battery delivered automatically every 3 months.

Listerine is the key regardless of the brush you use.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm using the Oral-B Costco carries. My dentist checks my teeth over, and basically says "keep doing what you've been doing."

I don't have any of the super extra features, it just times 4 quadrants of your mouth, and flashes red if you are pressing too hard.
That’s virtually identical to what the Philips does. Guess they all borrow the same ideas off each other.

One thing that I think is exaggerated is “whitening” mode (as opposed to simply cleaning). My teeth are somewhat yellowed, and I’ve yet to see any results from the use of “whitening” toothpastes or “whitening” mode on a toothbrush.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been using Sonicare for over 20 years. Haven’t had a single cavity since I started with it. I always get a mid-range model and the battery life seems to get worse with every one I buy.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We use a Waterpik Sonic Fusion, love it, it's a combo electric toothbrush and "irrigator", it also runs the toothbrush on battery if you want to take it on the road.

FWIW, we combine with this flossing, and hit up the dentist 3-4 times a year for cleaning. Teeth are one of those things where a little care goes a long way and you do NOT want your teeth to south. Beyond being just nasty and gross, it's painful AND expensive to correct after-the-fact.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I got a Sonicare after my dentist told me, "Either you need to get an electric toothbrush or you need to come in and see me a third time every year." My father-in-law, who worked for Philips, ordered me one the next day. (He's since had the nerve to retire! What's up with that?)

The Wirecutter (from NY Times) recommends an Oral-B model, so that is what I'd probably order if I were purchasing today. That website is my go-to for things I don't know about, things I don't care to do my own in-depth research about, or a great starting point for diving into that research myself.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I switched to Quip, despite their very awful commercials. I’ve been very happy with it, and get a replacement head and battery delivered automatically every 3 months.

Listerine is the key regardless of the brush you use.

I recently sent them an email letting them know I believe my Quip is possessed because it's just randomly turning on when I'm not even in the room. They were very responsive and I should be receiving my replacement in the next couple days.

Can't beat the size and the fact you never have to charge it. I have the holder it came with attached to my mirror (another great feature) and I ordered a second that I keep in my travel case for when I go out of town.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I recently sent them an email letting them know I believe my Quip is possessed because it's just randomly turning on when I'm not even in the room. They were very responsive and I should be receiving my replacement in the next couple days.

I assume this is who they're sending to deliver it ...

1625594637479.png

Top Bottom
1 2