Electric Vehicles: General topics

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Us peasants couldn't possibly comprehend his vision of the universe ... I'll light a candle in his name and hope for the best ...

Haha!

But it looks like it got pulled. Couldn’t install it last night since the car wouldn’t connect to WiFi at least through the app. Go out to the car this morning, it’s now claiming I’m up to date still with 36.8. :(

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@P_X

Apparently Tidal has an option for Lossless (and I believe that's for downloaded content vs. lossy if it's streamed[?]), I don't personally use it, but some of the audiophile folks on some Tesla sites were pretty excited about it. I was using USB audio, but now we have an Apple Music account active again (see a previous post of mine), with unlimited data, I pretty much just use that.

Yesterday at the SuC, I was playing Classic Metal Essentials ... nothing like a little Pantera and Slayer at 9a in the morning :D

FYI, if the Model 3 you rented was an SR/SR+, it doesn't have the same premium audio as the LR and P models, i.e., 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, more DSP, etc. The Model 3 premium audio is recognized around the sound industry as being pretty stellar.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I did not know that EV's needed special tires. But it looks like Goodyear is joining the game:

While not cheap, it is within the range of similar ICE car tires of a similar size and performance.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I did not know that EV's needed special tires. But it looks like Goodyear is joining the game:

While not cheap, it is within the range of similar ICE car tires of a similar size and performance.

They don't really, I'm tossing on the same tire I'd use on any of my previous performance vehicles. It's not like it's even that much heavier than other cars around the same size, a BMW 340x AWD model is ~4000 lbs, so is a Model 3 dual motor.

Like anything, they're making some advancements - in this case, it's rolling resistance vs. stickiness, not much different than any other tire development. And all tires have a load rating and in fact, many people don't even look at the specification, but for example:

1640030286322.png

That's a super popular, outstanding high performance tire I'd put on a Mustang, on an M3, and it easily exceeds the load requirement (1609 lbs per tire) for a Model 3.

Some EVs come with tires that have an acoustic baffle, basically just some foam inserts to cut down on tire noise, most people seem to think the impact is negligible.

U

User.45

@P_X

Apparently Tidal has an option for Lossless (and I believe that's for downloaded content vs. lossy if it's streamed[?]), I don't personally use it, but some of the audiophile folks on some Tesla sites were pretty excited about it. I was using USB audio, but now we have an Apple Music account active again (see a previous post of mine), with unlimited data, I pretty much just use that.

Yesterday at the SuC, I was playing Classic Metal Essentials ... nothing like a little Pantera and Slayer at 9a in the morning :D

FYI, if the Model 3 you rented was an SR/SR+, it doesn't have the same premium audio as the LR and P models, i.e., 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, more DSP, etc. The Model 3 premium audio is recognized around the sound industry as being pretty stellar.
All I can say is what I experienced, Which was super mediocre (which is not bad, but something you immediately forget about). To be 100% clear though using Bluetooth audio is a benchmark it’s totally unfair. The model I rented was a 2021 model three, and I don’t recall it stating what specific model that was, but it had the option of immersive audio so I suspect it was the premium audio version. Again one of the major impressions I’ve had, is a Tesla cut corners on IP and immersive audio is supposed to be some reinterpretation of dolby logic Surround remix of stereo audio. My I3 premium HK system for example Does not have such, But because the space is relatively narrow it doesn’t need it either.

I’ll also say that I’m definitely not the end all on premium audio But I do have plenty of first-hand experience With the power of suggestion when it comes to audio perception. So my definite null hypothesis For audio is BS Until proven otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nope, the SR has some kind of immersive audio but not the much better hardware. I don’t believe Hertz rents anything other than the base Model 3.

I have that setting dialed down as it’s fantastic without it. I used my own CD lossless rips as source, from remastered Floyd, Portishead, Massive Attack, music with lots of depth, range, and it sounds terrific from USB, so maybe you had the non-premium + BT + mediocre source.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Nope, the SR has some kind of immersive audio but not the much better hardware. I don’t believe Hertz rents anything other than the base Model 3.

I have that setting dialed down as it’s fantastic without it. I used my own CD lossless rips as source, from remastered Floyd, Portishead, Massive Attack, music with lots of depth, range, and it sounds terrific from USB, so maybe you had the non-premium + BT + mediocre source.
I used Turo. About said Draco for version.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I didn't, because you didn't :D

The fun stuff looks, well, fun and a silly, but I'm incredibly interested in the UI changes, the ability to change the controls, and the new turn signal/blind spot camera update.

U

User.45

I found it. It was SR+ with premium connectivity and full self driving and the latest OS.
Immersive sound was low and standard. For premium it is standard and high. I would have also noticed subwoofer, lol. So we have this clarified.

I use apple music with lossless streaming even on cell, which is pretty fantastic via USB, but mediocre via BT.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
@DT Lord Elon has decreed 44.25 out tomorrow evening!*

*Remains to be seen if Vision-only cars are included in the roll out.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
How has cold weather been affecting their EVs? I’m noticing a lot of extra battery drain.

For example, here’s a trip I took a few weeks ago. I burned through 240 miles of range doing 149 miles. Made it to the SC at under 10% and the v3 charger never hit 250 kW. Average temp was around 30F at the time.

Attachments

• 41F9931B-91AE-4A27-BAA3-2660606FCEDD.jpeg
    41F9931B-91AE-4A27-BAA3-2660606FCEDD.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 49
  • BF81E99D-43BB-48F7-9E43-DABBB6E9AF7D.jpeg
    BF81E99D-43BB-48F7-9E43-DABBB6E9AF7D.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 47

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
How has cold weather been affecting their EVs? I’m noticing a lot of extra battery drain.

For example, here’s a trip I took a few weeks ago. I burned through 240 miles of range doing 149 miles. Made it to the SC at under 10% and the v3 charger never hit 250 kW. Average temp was around 30F at the time.
Cold weather is definitely a factor, from just plain operating in the cold to the drain on the battery from the heater. I use the heated seats usually to save a lot of battery.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That was actually from about an hour ago, I immediately preferred the new UI, as least in terms of aesthetic, usability/UX vs. V10 is still TBD, but my quick first impression is some things I definitely like better. I'll see how the driving experience has changed in a few (some final XMas Even chores).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
must’ve missed an update. 44.6 is going now

Maybe you'll get x.6 and x.25 back to back!

Driving impression, yes, it's good, the layout is cleaner, instruments are slightly better positioned, the blind spot camera turn signal update is terrific.

Light Show? We're on standby till it turns dark tonight :D

Top Bottom
1 2