Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My grandfather evidently had multiple scouts before I was born. They’re such cool cars.

I was curious how VW ended up with the scout name until I looked it up. I had mistakenly been under the impression International Trucks (previously International Harvester) was owned by Mercedes- making it all the more baffling. But the Traton ownership makes sense now.

I'm going to see if I can find a pic of the one we had, we have some pics we've been meaning to put into storage (and haven't yet), and I might be able to find one :D

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
Decided to put down the $300 deposit for a Lucid Air Pure today. I wonder when these will actually show up

djRJS8H.png

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully this actually turns into a production model( with slightly more sane wheels). Buick Wildcat EV Concept.

sDOxxov.jpg

IgfJrUq.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hopefully this actually turns into a production model( with slightly more sane wheels). Buick Wildcat EV Concept.

Holy smokes!

Yeah, I see several engineering, fab, daily usability elements that won't make it to a production car, but the general foundation is pretty stunning.

The Lexus concept is a killer too (and of course, even less practical :D):

1654092387922.png

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes!

Yeah, I see several engineering, fab, daily usability elements that won't make it to a production car, but the general foundation is pretty stunning.

The Lexus concept is a killer too (and of course, even less practical :D):

View attachment 14512
I prefer the Lexus. But doesn’t look like a daily driver!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just drove past the lines at the pump near Costco and I can't tell you how awesome it is not to have to worry about getting gas anymore, especially right now. Being able to just come home, plug in and forget it takes so much of the stress out of it all.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just drove past the lines at the pump near Costco and I can't tell you how awesome it is not to have to worry about getting gas anymore, especially right now. Being able to just come home, plug in and forget it takes so much of the stress out of it all.
You know what's better than that? Driving to work and plugging in! I've only charged my i3 at home once so far!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know what's better than that? Driving to work and plugging in! I've only charged my i3 at home once so far!

Yes, freebies!

Sometimes it doesn't add up to a lot of actual cost savings, but something about it just makes me grin. I love when we go down to Universal, using those "secret" parking areas with free charging so the ~130 mile trip home costs zero (even if it would only be like $6 of charging costs).

If you don't mind me asking, what's your kWh (or equivalent) for electricity at home?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Yeah man, even our Jeep, it's a PHEV but I've only used like 2 gallons over the last 400 or so miles, everything else was on battery (about $0.07 a mile). Plus the convenience and time savings.

I saw a funny comparison someone did about "time cost" (i.e., ICE fueling vs. charging time):

I plug in every other day and it takes me 10 seconds to plug and 10 seconds to unplug. Thats 20 seconds 180 days out of the year. So that would be about 60 minutes of plugging and unplugging for an entire year. If I go to gas station and spend 5 minutes (typically takes longer) once a week for the year, that's 260 minutes.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, freebies!

Sometimes it doesn't add up to a lot of actual cost savings, but something about it just makes me grin. I love when we go down to Universal, using those "secret" parking areas with free charging so the ~130 mile trip home costs zero (even if it would only be like $6 of charging costs).

If you don't mind me asking, what's your kWh (or equivalent) for electricity at home?
20.40p/kwh. Around 25 cents I believe.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We were headed to the theater on Friday, on the other side of the highway, saw a current gen Tesla Model S, not sure if it was a Plaid, but it had the 21" wheels, and then behind it about 2 or 3 cars was a Lucid - the first one I've seen in the wild (wasn't a fan of the design "on the road", but it's a terrific execution - from what I understand - on the "technical" side).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Headed to The Keys, about 390 miles, we're going to stop once, right around the 1/2 point, do our supplies/groceries, and on our way in ~35 minutes (the shopping will take at least that long), ~$14, the car will be waiting, nice and cool.

I think there's __still__ people that don't get it, unless you're making Indy style pit stops, or driving some insanely long distance without stopping, it's no big deal. :)

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Headed to The Keys, about 390 miles, we're going to stop once, right around the 1/2 point, do our supplies/groceries, and on our way in ~35 minutes (the shopping will take at least that long), ~$14, the car will be waiting, nice and cool.

I think there's __still__ people that don't get it, unless you're making Indy style pit stops, or driving some insanely long distance without stopping, it's no big deal. :)
Exactly. I’d stop on a 390 mile trip if I was still driving an ICE car. Of course I’d need a couple of stops on that sort of journey. But it’s not a journey I’d often have to make.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Blazer EV

That vehicle, as it sits, is pretty sharp, but of course range and price are major factors.

I guess a lot depends on how this plays out:

1655142823597.png

We just did a pretty decent road trip in the Tesla and it was stellar, charging was fantastic (the Superchargers off the turnpike are so convenient), that will be a big decision point about the time some of these cars (like that Blazer) are available. What does the charging infrastructure look like. If every Supercharger location handles non-Teslas, large charging providers like EA, EVGo, etc., continue to expand, then the charging part kind gets removed from the equation.

FWIW, the SuC in Florida City (just before you head into the Keys) had a small bank of EA chargers behind it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't think anything has been released yet, but someone who seemed to know what they were talking about (on another site), suggested this:

$41k rwd 250 miles base model
$49k rwd 320 miles
$55k awd 310 miles
$65k awd performance 300 miles

I guess based on some existing platforms, etc.

Top Bottom
1 2