Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I like the general design, even the odd by classic standards sloping rear roof line, but holy f-ing hell, those are some ugly wheels. They're just so busy, but I've noticed that a recurring design pattern in EV wheels.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
So on my drive this morning to the chiropractor my i3 tells me the pedestrian detection system is not working. Then the crash prevention sensor. Then the adaptive cruise control.
Booked in for the 22nd for a fix hopefully.
Glad it’s under warranty.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So on my drive this morning to the chiropractor my i3 tells me the pedestrian detection system is not working. Then the crash prevention sensor. Then the adaptive cruise control.
Booked in for the 22nd for a fix hopefully.
Glad it’s under warranty.

At first I thought you wrote your i3 was telling you to go to the chiropractor, I was thinking, wow, that's a neat feature ... ;)

I'm sure it's something simple, like a loose harness, or it might be the 12v battery, that's a common issue on Tesla (though usually older like 4+ years), and when they start going bad, it results in all sorts of crazy error/diagnostic issues.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, I have not been a fan of the Lucid design, the silver roof is weird and the bright finish on the wheels isn't my thing. However this ...

1659989682792.png

Is definitely my thing. A new "stealth" package, that will only (*snicker*) set you back another $6000.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Talk about this thing has resurfaced: a VW truck built on the MEB platform. The original concept from a couple years ago reminds me a lot of the Subaru Baja.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
At first I thought you wrote your i3 was telling you to go to the chiropractor, I was thinking, wow, that's a neat feature ... ;)

I'm sure it's something simple, like a loose harness, or it might be the 12v battery, that's a common issue on Tesla (though usually older like 4+ years), and when they start going bad, it results in all sorts of crazy error/diagnostic issues.
I'd have thought its a bit early on the 12V, but I guess the BMW guys will let me know when it goes in on the 22nd. Glad I have the warranty to take care of it though.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, now we're talking, camo'ed Ioniq 5 N variant, meatier tires, extra intakes (for brake cooking, aero), the photographer said it had more aggressive sport seats. The assumption is the N version would get the same 576HP as the EV6 GT

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
3-wheelers in "tadpole" configuration tend to be at least as stable as most 4-wheelers. Aptera, though, I am leery of, just because they have been around for the better part of 2 decades and produced very large quanities of vaporware.
I’d never order a car like this until they had been around on the roads for a few years. I’m not about to be a £20k+ beta tester.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Maybe some updates about the BEV Wrangler "Magneto", but my money is on an announcement of a 4xe Gladiator (since Jeep already has a 4xe Wrangler and GC). Plus, the usual corporate-speak about their "Future EV commitment ..." :D

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
JFC!

3 motors I do not get. Especially the one on the front, which adds the mechanical complexity/weight of CV joints and a differential. AAUI more-smaller is better than fewer-larger, but go two or go four, three is just goofy.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
3 motors I do not get. Especially the one on the front, which adds the mechanical complexity/weight of CV joints and a differential. AAUI more-smaller is better than fewer-larger, but go two or go four, three is just goofy.

Front has limited space? Front is already traction limited? Additional motor adds very little in terms of [on-road] performance for additional weight and cost? Maybe they're using more of the single front motor for highway cruising resulting in more efficient power use?

The Model S Plaid and Lucid are both using 3 motors, and running 8-second 1/4 miles at over 155 MPH ... in 4-door sedans. I'm assuming the engineers for both companies know what their doing :D

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I'm assuming the engineers for both companies know what their doing :D

Perhaps. I have my doubts. Engineering seems to converge into narrow paradigms from which the engineers themselves cannot get unstuck. There have, for instance, been a lot of common private passenger vehicles getting less – much less – than 40mpg in the past couple decades, which is way behind where we should have been (I blame that on the broader influence of one particular guy, perhaps unfairly). I have limited faith in industrial engineers and more faith (in the other direction) in the bean counters, marketers and executroids who tell their engineers what they want.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I agree, so much product is driven by the bean counters.

That being said, look at Lucid from a company and product perspective. They had a clean slate, massive capital, they're making upmarket, high end vehicles and don't seem to care about price segment - the new Sapphire is $250K so it's not like they were trying to slip into some typical performance sedan pricing segment - and from everything I've read about the "company philosophy", they don't strike me as having the kind of executive team that requires cutting corners. Plus, 4-motor vehicles exist, and are being delivered (see - Rivian), so it's not like there's some rigid design paradigm when it comes to EVs, in fact, as a "startup" they could redefine everything about EV design, but still chose a tri-motor setup.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The site generates this pop-up from time to time:
so I am guessing the authors assume coal miners think like them, based on – assumptions?

Yeah, the Red State link was the one where it came across my FB feed. But the story is from a local TV News station (linked in the Red State story) and their story has this line:

Despite the recent controversy with coal power and the push toward alternatives that are more energy efficient like electric cars, the group was happy to help. “Shows even though they aren’t crazy about electric cars they still have a good heart and treat people with respect and would help anyone in need.”

Coal miners should love electric cars. They need to keep mining coal to provide power to charge the things.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Coal miners should love electric cars. They need to keep mining coal to provide power to charge the things.

That was kinda my thought. Coal use is an orthogonal issue to EV use.

The only link is that EV use is about reducing emissions, which reducing coal dependence also stems from. But if your goal is to reduce emissions, having a grid that’s over 90% coal (as of 2014) is not going to do EVs many favors. It pushes the break even point of an EV vs ICE in terms of emissions waaaay out there.

Top Bottom
1 2