Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So this is - per the title - for discussing all battery powered transportation, using all implementations of the tech: BEV, PHEV, HEV, and it doesn't have to have 4 wheels, this is the place to talk about EV motorcycles, semi-trucks, etc.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Almost 🤏 bought a Harley Davidson Livewire last year, (mostly due to "The Long Way Up". So glad I didn't since Harley dumped the line and it's now being sold by a third-party.

On another note I did go on an e-bike tour in Rome in October, and my SO and I had a blast. So much so that I bought her one for Christmas. Not too sure about her riding it around the streets of Boston though. Even though our commute is a short 7 miles, the aggressive drivers and lack of bike lanes, would make it a harrowing ride.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This one looks pretty cool:

500 miles of range on the top end... but it’s quite expensive.

Saw a couple of commercials for those. Maybe during the SB, but haven't seen anything about them since. And yes, they look nice.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On another note I did go on an e-bike tour in Rome in October, and my SO and I had a blast. So much so that I bought her one for Christmas.

I think e-bikes are going to be a huge "gateway" product for EVs for a lot of folks. Even around here, that's not the most progressive area, I see a ton of them now (it's pretty good bike town, especially around the Old City).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This one looks pretty cool:

500 miles of range on the top end... but it’s quite expensive.

Oh yeah, it's pretty stunning, the first product, the Air Dream Edition is ~$170K, basically a limited release, then they'll have some products in the $77K - $140K range, but even the lower end is pretty pricey.

DeMuro is a goofball, I get it, but he's driven some amazing cars, and he basically said, it's like the Luxury of a high end Mercedes and the performance of a Tesla Plaid.

1639674555445.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Even though our commute is a short 7 miles, the aggressive drivers and lack of bike lanes, would make it a harrowing ride.

You should move here (San Jose CA). They're constantly replacing car lanes with bike lanes and it's always assumed the car driver is an asshole in an altercation unless definitively proven otherwise. It seems like we're not allowed to expect bike riders to be situationally aware, and often they aren't. It's just best to assume they are going to bike in your car lane, cut you off, and coast through an intersection regardless of what signals and signs might say or other traffic that isn't other bikes.

U

User.45

I think e-bikes are going to be a huge "gateway" product for EVs for a lot of folks. Even around here, that's not the most progressive area, I see a ton of them now (it's pretty good bike town, especially around the Old City).
I bought an electric bicycle and it would cut my car commute to half and pay for itself by saving on parking in about 6 months. But it got a double flat because this city destroys tires....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can we talk about electric bicycles in here too?

Definitely! I know it's a "car" forum, but any electric transportation, cars, trucks, boats, bicycles.

I bought an electric bicycle and it would cut my car commute to half and pay for itself by saving on parking in about 6 months. But it got a double flat because this city destroys tires....

I have the worst luck with bike tires, when I used to ride a road bike kind of semi-hardcore, I'd get a flat every 2nd or 3rd ride. Have you looked into some kind of ruggedized tire? That's what I did on my mountain bike, still used a tube, just super thick tire material, I think it also had like a kevlar layer or something, didn't get a flat over like 2-3 years (could've also just been lucky ...)

Speaking of Demuro.... Gonna have to unfollow him now....

Yeah Saturn V is NOT the Space Shuttle Doug!

:p

IT'S ALL ROCKETS!!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I assume __most__ EV have a frunk (aka front trunk) as I'd image the typical skateboard design makes that space available.

But anyway, that's a great place for food :D It's nicely isolates any smells too (since trunks tend to be open-connected to the main cabin. This was actually take home vs. to-go, but same difference :)

IMG_0593.jpeg

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I assume __most__ EV have a frunk (aka front trunk) as I'd image the typical skateboard design makes that space available.

But anyway, that's a great place for food :D It's nicely isolates any smells too (since trunks tend to be open-connected to the main cabin. This was actually take home vs. to-go, but same difference :)

View attachment 10429

ID.4 owners look on in jealousy……

(Ironically ID.4 would probably be my go to for non-Tesla EV right now or the Ioniq 5)

Have yet to use the frunk yet myself.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just forget about it, so many years of that space not being available. It's a decent size too, it'll hold (I even did a test fit) a roller, and I've shopped some coolers designed to fit there, I'd just leave in place for groceries/ice, etc.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I have been seriously considering getting an e-bike, because even though my getting back into shape is going really well, it still is a huge hassle coming back home, since I live on a big ass hill. An e-bike would allow me to go further and faster and I find the idea fascinating. Does anybody have some experience with e-bikes? I am not looking to spend $6000 on some fancy hipster e-bike. I've set the budget at around the equivalent of $3000 and I am seriously looking at this thing

28 mph top speed and around 50 miles range. Sounds pretty sweet. The red and black colour scheme tickles me in all the right ways in all the right places.

I also ordered the AWD Ioniq 5 in Lucid Blue pearl. Should be here around April next year, since it's a factory order. I wasn't going to settle on some whatever colour the dealer had.
On the Ioniq 5, did you get to test drive one of the showcase ones? I put down a $100 to do that and be able to order it when available. I never got called thought to do any of those.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I also ordered the AWD Ioniq 5 in Lucid Blue pearl. Should be here around April next year, since it's a factory order. I wasn't going to settle on some whatever colour the dealer had.

I'll post some links I got from a few sites where I've been, well, shopping is probably not the right word, kind of speculating ownership :D A kid a couple of houses down has one, he comes blasting by carrying his surfboard.

[edit]

They were mostly saved from Electrek and I see they have them filtered at a specific page, so this might be super handy!

BTW, I meant to ask about the car you ordered, you had posted this:

Hint
XXXXXXXX XXXXX X

Which I assumed was a Hyundai Ioniq 5 - though you didn't seem that hot on it initially, that at least fit, but then I did this ...

XXXXXXXX XXXXX X = 8 5 1 characters
Hyundai Ioniq 5 = 7 5 1 characters

So then I was baffled. :D

U

User.45

Excellent. I have been seriously considering getting an e-bike, because even though my getting back into shape is going really well, it still is a huge hassle coming back home, since I live on a big ass hill. An e-bike would allow me to go further and faster and I find the idea fascinating. Does anybody have some experience with e-bikes? I am not looking to spend $6000 on some fancy hipster e-bike. I've set the budget at around the equivalent of $3000 and I am seriously looking at this thing

28 mph top speed and around 50 miles range. Sounds pretty sweet. The red and black colour scheme tickles me in all the right ways in all the right places.

Send me a DM

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wonder what percentage of people could charge at home and haven’t made the leap to EV yet. Then to compare - what percentage of people just don’t have a way to charge at home.

When it comes to increasing EV adoption, I think infrastructure is critical. If gas stations were hard to find, ICE vehicles would be much less appealing.
I have been looking at preparing for charge at home station. I am sure I could just google it and I probably will... But I would love to know what people had to do to put one in. I am about to put a 60 Amp sub-panel outside on my shed, and am wondering if that is good enough.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have been looking at preparing for charge at home station. I am sure I could just google it and I probably will... But I would love to know what people had to do to put one in. I am about to put a 60 Amp sub-panel outside on my shed, and am wondering if that is good enough.

I have some info, but do you mind if I move this over the Car >> EV thread?

And here we are :D

So at home you can use a 120v (Level 1) but clearly if you can accommodate a 240v Level 2 it's much better. L2 chargers (not to be confused with Tesla fast Level 2 public systems) are generally going to be up to 40 amps, and there's standard protocol that you should only charge about 80% of the circuit spec, i.e., a 40a charger should be on a 50a circuit.

The max amps for the circuit will depend on the existing panel configuration. We went with 50a, we have existing 200a service, and we had space for the 2-pole breaker right in the existing panel.

If it's not a hardwired charger, it'll use a NEMA specification for the receptacle, with a 50a/240v that would be either an N6-50 or an N14-50, for charging an EV, those are effectively the same. The 14-50 is common in RV parks, the 6-50 is used by equipment like a welder. The big difference is the 14-50 supports both 120 and 240 so it's useful for something like an RV that might have lighting but also an oven. Because it requires a dedicated neutral it can be more expensive to install.

I had the simpler N6-50 installed. We got a pretty great deal, the install, parts, from a certified electrician was ~$220, but a few things about that price: simple 18" wire run, existing panel with no issues, the whole area easily accessible on the back wall of the garage.

I like that I can easily unplug it, and if the need arose, swap out chargers.

While we're on the subject, these types of boxes aren't really "chargers", they're an EVSE, it's basically an AC switch, the actual charger is built into the vehicle.

There's two plug specs: Tesla and a J1772, that can be used by a Tesla with an adapter they provide.

We use a Grill-E Smart charger, it's fantastic, 40a, N6-50, 3 year warranty, built like a tank, 24' cable.

I need to jet, but I'll add a few more things in a bit :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2